R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-03-2005, 03:41 PM   #91
Tech Fanatic

actually, they are pulling the same crap for the off-road nationals. Brushless systems will be legal for the Off-road nationals, of coarse no company has subbmitted them to be legal. But I've been told that they will. I work for a hobby shop, and i can't buy the brushless systems that the factory team drivers are going to be using at the off-road nationals yet. This is only two months before nationals. ROAR simply dosen't have the ability to keep up with the r/c industry anymore and provide a service to its members. So what could Ernie Provetti mess up any more than than ROAR has?
Scrubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 04:02 PM   #92
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Scrubb,

I am not sure calling it 'pulling the same crap' entirely correct. The 2005 rule book indicates (or at least it is supposed to) that brushless will be combined with the modified. While we can all talk about how much that sucks or not, it is the current rules. I totally disagree with combining the brushless and brushed classes. If you make an open class, that would be fine. But you can't run two different technologies together and call it fair.

As for the Mod Nats: The current rule is brushless with the brushed. Unless a deviation to keep the brushless out of the brushed class (note the president set by the oval nats) is granted, they will run together.

As for the approval of brushless motors: Check the ROAR site http://www.roarracing.com/products/smotor.htm for the only approved motor. I hope that the DRO will enforce that only what is approved can be run...to avoid the on road nats debacle.
Old 05-03-2005, 04:04 PM   #93
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

but I do feel your pain.
Old 05-03-2005, 04:09 PM   #94
Tech Adept

I have not read this interview yet, but clearly manufacturers of R/C equipment should not be running the racing association. ROAR should be "fixed" with some concrete public debate and/or vote that has binding consequences, or if its not willing, then someone needs to step up to the plate with organizational and management skills and create a competing association,
and convince track owners and racers to join. This will be hard, it will be easier to "fix" ROAR for sure.

Best Regards,
nimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 04:10 PM   #95
Tech Rookie

yes I did read the article and here's my opinion.

Ernie is the Martha Stewart of RC. He's the guy everyone loves to hate!

No I'm not a racer, but I spend TONS of time with lots of them and I hear the opinions both ways about Ernie. From the article it seems like he has some really good ideas. From the things I've heard about him he hasn't always.

Anyway, just my 2 cents.
sockosgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 05:01 PM   #96
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

i would like to say that i have no problem with trinity or ernie and have used trinity motors for many years, why??? cause they deliver the goods and that is all that matters to me. all i will say about this thread is that any promotion is good promotion....ernie i am sure will be thanking you all for the free advertising....

BIG DAVE
blue hornet. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 05:15 PM   #97
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by blue hornet.
i would like to say that i have no problem with trinity or ernie and have used trinity motors for many years, why??? cause they deliver the goods and that is all that matters to me. all i will say about this thread is that any promotion is good promotion....ernie i am sure will be thanking you all for the free advertising....

BIG DAVE
Maybe Ernie will send me some free swag for starting the thread...

-Me
Soviet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 06:12 PM   #98
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Good, bad, whatever. I thought the article was well thought out. I do admit that the racing scene needs to be updated. ROAR or not. I am not sure that Ernie is the man for the job but some of his ideas are well thought out.

I have thought for a very long time that there needs to be ranking system and limit the number of big races. A while back I was involved with Jet Ski racing on a national level (not racing I was a bit to chunky) and to race at the PRO level you needed to get signatures from other pro racers attesting to your skill level to race in that class. And it was quite an accomplishment to race expert or novice and then get to move up. Now we have full factory guys running stock for track time and lapping the field numerous times. It becomes discouraging to new racers.

ROAR should look at the success of these non sanctioned races and make some changes. When you get 800 entries you have a good formula. This National race every week or so is a bit crazy. Limit the races and get the sponsored drivers out helping the new peeps just starting out. It would make a world of difference. I remember my first Winter Champs in Tampa seeing all of the factory guys. I was running around all crazy it was so cool. We need to find a way to bring back some of that. Alas I am one of the people that can point out the issues with no clear idea or way to fix it.
daddyphat808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 06:56 PM   #99
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by daddyphat808
Good, bad, whatever. I thought the article was well thought out. I do admit that the racing scene needs to be updated. ROAR or not. I am not sure that Ernie is the man for the job but some of his ideas are well thought out.

I have thought for a very long time that there needs to be ranking system and limit the number of big races. A while back I was involved with Jet Ski racing on a national level (not racing I was a bit to chunky) and to race at the PRO level you needed to get signatures from other pro racers attesting to your skill level to race in that class. And it was quite an accomplishment to race expert or novice and then get to move up. Now we have full factory guys running stock for track time and lapping the field numerous times. It becomes discouraging to new racers.

ROAR should look at the success of these non sanctioned races and make some changes. When you get 800 entries you have a good formula. This National race every week or so is a bit crazy. Limit the races and get the sponsored drivers out helping the new peeps just starting out. It would make a world of difference. I remember my first Winter Champs in Tampa seeing all of the factory guys. I was running around all crazy it was so cool. We need to find a way to bring back some of that. Alas I am one of the people that can point out the issues with no clear idea or way to fix it.
well said
losi jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 10:45 PM   #100
Tech Rookie

Default I still haven't heard

I still haven't read, heard or seen anyone step up yet...

It's easy to sit back and point out someone else's weaknesses, problems and such...

What's wrong with the manufacturers having a say?

We as racers, we as customers and we as techno-weenies always look to the manufacturers to make faster, better and more affordable, so why shouldn't they have a say?

And how bout some of the PROS stepping up... Specially the Veterans,,,Barry Baker, Gil Jr., Ralph Burch, Joel Johnson, etc...
These guys have seen it from almost the very beginning.

And how about some of the Hobby Shop owners, who have probably the most at stake. Their reputations, own personal money, credit and livelyhoods. These are the front line of the hobby, they provide the tracks, the shops, and their time.
blownaway-ig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 11:19 PM   #101
Tech Addict

i agree,whats wrong with manufacturers having a say,they do with real cars...otherwise we would be driving the cleaner electric cars that are available..
losi jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 11:31 PM   #102
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to burbs Send a message via Yahoo to burbs
Default Re: I still haven't heard

Quote:
Originally posted by blownaway-ig
I still haven't read, heard or seen anyone step up yet...

It's easy to sit back and point out someone else's weaknesses, problems and such...

What's wrong with the manufacturers having a say?

We as racers, we as customers and we as techno-weenies always look to the manufacturers to make faster, better and more affordable, so why shouldn't they have a say?

And how bout some of the PROS stepping up... Specially the Veterans,,,Barry Baker, Gil Jr., Ralph Burch, Joel Johnson, etc...
These guys have seen it from almost the very beginning.

And how about some of the Hobby Shop owners, who have probably the most at stake. Their reputations, own personal money, credit and livelyhoods. These are the front line of the hobby, they provide the tracks, the shops, and their time.
with one post. i wonde R wh O your A voulentee R for...
burbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 09:21 AM   #103
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I know who I'm a volunteer for and have done so for years.
WGT-R, GT-12 Racing USA (21.5 ), Formula 1 and Home Track is 386 RaceWay,ROAR #7540.
BullFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 10:25 AM   #104
Tech Master

Send a message via Yahoo to koabich

Quote:
Originally posted by losi jon
i agree,whats wrong with manufacturers having a say,they do with real cars...otherwise we would be driving the cleaner electric cars that are available..
Totally incorrect statement. The problem is that all cleaner technology that currently exists today is NOT viable (not talking about hybrids here).

You cannot force companies to adapt a technology that does not exhist or is still in the developement phase. And besides, a very small percentage of the population wants that technology right now. The manufactures can adopt it but what if no one buys it and then what happens to all the gas cars currently on the road? You just cannot stop selling gas and you cannot force people to buy new cars.

Plus if you remove oil from the equation, you might notice that the enitre world ecomony would fail since every ecomony in the world is based on oil!

Back to the point, I am mixed in my decision as to weather or not a manufacture should be on the board. Ideally, the board should be mixed: a couple people form different manufactures (to help keep it balanced so one manufactures deccision does not hurt another) and several form outside the industry or even some racers or race promoters.

If you look at the people who sit on the board of major corporations, you will notice that very few if any people on the board actually work for that company. The board of companies usually always consists of those from outside the company and those from outside the indusrty in question.
koabich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 10:43 AM   #105
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

The Novak has been approved and can be run....its a teardown, so they can run anything based on that teardown.

The LRP/Reedy unit has not.....

The deviation no longer exsists, so they can only run approved motors.

Later EddieO