R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-26-2005, 01:12 PM   #31
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by KE4PJO
I'll say this right out, I haven't read the article, and doubt that I will. I wouldn't give 2 cents for Ernie's opinion. It's all about the money to him. All Ernie wants is your money, and he doesn't care how he gets it. New products, more money.

-Me
Soviet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 01:20 PM   #32
Tech Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to razzo

Quote:
Originally posted by KE4PJO
New products, more money.
Isn't that how you're suppose to run a business? New product release = more $$? Would it make you happier if Trinity kept on making old Midnight2 in 2005 since Reedy's stocker is a turd, so they won't make more $$? This logic seems very short sighted.
razzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 01:21 PM   #33
R/C Tech Founder
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

It's always funny when business owners become hated for conducting good business in a competitive marketplace. By that logic, I hope people hate me some day... it means I must be doing something right...!
Old 04-26-2005, 01:22 PM   #34
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by razzo
Isn't that how you're suppose to run a business? New product release = more $$? Would it make you happier if Trinity kept on making old Midnight2 in 2005 since Reedy's stocker is a turd, so they won't make more $$? This logic seems very short sighted.
Some people like to think we work for the good of racing or mankind in general I guess. I really only work so that people can acuse me of being owned or to spread the word of RC to small African tribes that live in huts....or may be it's to feed me and drive a pretty car and have clean underwear. all the other business out there don't want your money...honestly.
Old 04-26-2005, 01:24 PM   #35
Tech Master

Is the article in the latest XRC or what issue?I would like to read the article.Thanks
Old 04-26-2005, 01:29 PM   #36
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by 17driver
Is the article in the latest XRC or what issue?I would like to read the article.Thanks
It's in the June 05 issue, which won't be out in stores for another week or so (the official "on-sale" date is 03/05)...Hobby shops may have is soon.
Old 04-26-2005, 01:32 PM   #37
Tech Master

Thanks Derek.
Old 04-26-2005, 01:35 PM   #38
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

I think RC companys should run Roar, be on the board.. Maybe it would be run the way it should be.
Old 04-26-2005, 01:40 PM   #39
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by DerekB
to spread the word of RC to small African tribes that live in huts....

Anyway, RC is a hobby for the majority of us but for guys like Derek and Erine it's a buisness that pays the bills and puts food on the table. Just like any buisness, advancement and new technology is part of the game, if you don't like it, the basket weavers association of america has a spot for you.
ddesros2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 02:53 PM   #40
JKA
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Wow. Money $ Money $

I'm not a big ErnieP fan because I think he ruins decent ideas (about ROAR) by being a passive agressive pompous a$$.

You can't fault the man for his business sense though.
He doesn't force you to buy anything. Any business owner will only make money by providing worthy products to consumers. Creating new products just ensures he stays ahead of the competition. Most are good products, and that is why you buy them, and that is why he makes money.

One thing along those lines that may be valid is Trinity's lack of product support for the cars they've released. Should've asked Earnie about that!
JKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 04:02 PM   #41
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I will be at the Vegas race for sure.....Snowbirds of course and probably Cleveland again...

If you look around the globe at other sanctioning bodies for other sports/hobbies you will see thats its NOT uncommon for companies to sit on the governing boards, even as president....

They are JUST as much a part of this hobby as anyone else is, regardless if they race or not....

And as for Ernie wanting your money....well duh, he runs a business...

But, while were slamming on him.....here is an example.....Reedy releases a pair of $30 brushes....nobody really cares.....Ernie releases a pair of $15 brushes, that in my opinion are better and last just as long.....yet he is still gets labeled as the guy just out to hose the racers.....I dunno, sure looked like he sliced the competition in half with the same performance.

Later EddieO
Old 04-26-2005, 04:37 PM   #42
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Brian McGreevy Send a message via Yahoo to Brian McGreevy

Eddie, bravo. You always know how to make a point short but detailed and effective. I agree totally.

I was wondering how long this thread would be up before we had the people come out to attack Ernie/Trinity...

To those people who are attacking him, I guess you've never been an entreprenuer and wanted to actually make money. That is the point of having a business. An ethical business owner will use any means necessary to sell a product, but not at the cost of being dishonest or unforthcoming to his customers. Ask Eddie about that.
USVTA Member #211

Support Formula SAE - get kids into engineering!
http://motorsports.illinois.edu/
Brian McGreevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 05:34 PM   #43
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to scott_g Send a message via Skype™ to scott_g

I'm yet to read the article - but hope to get a chance.

I gather from the discussion above that the interview discusses the future of ROAR and proposes a more "professional" organisation funded by manufactuers.

The biggest question for me about having manufacturers fund the organising/rule making body, is what happens when that manufacturer starts to lose, or doesn't get the rule breaks they want - what's to stop them pulling their funding or trying to use funding as a weapon to force their way? At the moment if a few racers decide not to renew membership, that's a relatively small drop in $$, but if a manufacturer who is funding say 20% of the overall budget pulls their funding.....?

It's a genuine question for me - and I don't know if its manageable by contracts etc or not?
scott_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 08:00 PM   #44
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Random thought.... manufactures have to have parts approved by roar to be legal in a roar race

by doing this that get a return on their investment of selling that motor to roar club members and some non-roar club members that run roar rules but are not sanctioned.

So what stops Roar from charging to sanction the parts whether it is cars or motors or batteries and Roar getting their cut. Like a royalty that your product says Roar approved.

The cost is small enough to be reasonable, and with overall sales in the millions in parts, not a burden on the manufactures. This is based on overall sales for those parts sanctioned. Just because you get your Roar approval doesn't mean that stops your obligation to help the hobby as a sport and take it to the next level.
RC50 As you come into this world, something else is also born. You begin your life, and it begins a journey towards you. It moves slowly, but it never stops. Wherever you go, whatever path you take, it will follow never faster, never slower, always coming. You will run, it will walk. You will rest, it will not. One day, you will linger in the same place too long you will sit too still, or sleep too deep. And when, too late, you rise to go, you will notice a second shadow next to yours. Your life will then be over.
nashrcracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 08:11 PM   #45
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Anyone remember ProCar?
WGT-R, GT-12 Racing USA (21.5 ), Formula 1 and Home Track is 386 RaceWay,ROAR #7540.
BullFrog is offline   Reply With Quote