R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-25-2005, 02:01 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Default 4WD Oval Racing?

Do any tracks/clubs or any sanctioning bodies run 4WD cars on an oval? I remember a year or two ago there was some talk of a 4WD oval class surfacing somewhere. What ever became of it? Does anybody run 4WD ovals officially?

A group of us run em in our shop (a "real" stock car shop) and we made a short carpet oval in one of the side rooms. Some of us run TC3's (like me) and there are a couple guys with T-Specs and XXX-S's. But we just tinker around for fun.

Has anybody, or does anybody run an "official" 4WD oval class anywhere?
RaceFan3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 02:05 PM   #2
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Check out the Oval, Larger Scales and More forum. I believe there are some shops running the class, and a few people are even making oval chassis for the tc3/4, although I'm not really into it, so I'm not completely sure how serious it is.
cartmen34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 03:52 PM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

its run every year at the Snowbirds in orlando, its been getting bigger and bigger here in fl, some guys run reg onroad cars and others run cars designed specifically for oval, like an xray with a battery tray to move it out, and a tc3 with the same battery tray or a corally assassin
kartermdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 05:02 PM   #4
ASM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

4wd oval is probably my very favorite class to run! The class can be very creative and is just plain fun to race your buddies in. The Snowbirds is where you'll see the best cars compete. It's ashame that it doesn't really get much coverage in the Snowbird articles in R/C Car Action nor is it taken very seriously.

This class has shown more racer creativeness than any other class at the birds. One guy (Dan Dolbert) showed up with a sweet custom made xray oval chassis that moves the batteries way out to the left. I won the snowbirds in 03 with a custom made TC3 chassis that had the battery slots cut out and a 6 cell
AE L30 tray was adapted with full adjustment from front to rear. Since then, those tray have been added to xrays and now team corally has even produced a some oval assassin kits as well. So really this class has kinda gone back to the roots of the hobby where guys are getting creative to find advantages and not just buying a kit and racing it! Heck, I've even seen Tony Padilla, a sponsored Schumacher driver create a CRAZY Schumacher set-up for oval that was actually very fast!

It's also an offical class of the FOCARS oval series here in Florida too. Overall, the class doesn't have much following but thanks to Mike Boylan it has become a class that I enjoy running each and every year at the Snowbirds race.

2016 & 2017 ROAR Region 4 VTA Champion
USVTA Member #116
ASM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 05:16 PM   #5
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TigeRyan

The local oval traveling series up here in NJ/PA also has a suspension class as they call it.... they also run it on a concrete oval we have up here at a place called Trax70 (formerly called MegaTrax)

I havent run in the class yet but I really want to
Old 04-25-2005, 07:05 PM   #6
Tech Apprentice

Thats cool. I guess the fact that it dosent get much exposure/coverage is why I thought nobody ran em. We have a blast with ours, even though our track is a real drivers' track...AKA its a bull ring. Unfortunately its the only place we can run them, as the only "official" track near my hometown only runs indoor/outdoor dirt, and asphalt but no 4WD oval.

We made up a rules package for our club. Everyone runs the same motors, and same tires. Chassis must remain stock (no titanium/graphite, etc...although aluminum parts are allowed). And so on. Bodies must be stock car style. At first we had an open body rule, but a few of the guys put wedge style bodies on and were scooping up cars in front of them and launching them out of the garage

Hopefully 4WD oval will get more coverage----cuz im curious to see what people are doing with these cars.
Old 04-25-2005, 08:26 PM   #7
Tech Apprentice

was the 4WD oval class called the PRS Touring 19 at this years Snowbirds ?
Old 05-04-2005, 08:03 PM   #8
ASM
Tech Master

Yes, it was. Here's the #2 qualifier from the birds....hehehehe
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ossassin2.jpg (83.5 KB, 366 views)

USVTA Member #116
Old 05-04-2005, 08:24 PM   #9
Tech Apprentice

Nice Corally

Did anybody---or has anybody---run Associated cars in this class? How have they done ?
Old 05-04-2005, 08:43 PM   #10
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to tc3Guru Send a message via AIM to tc3Guru

our local track its called touring oval. we just started it this past season. it's doubling every race. we are up to about 12 now started running two heats of them. It's awesome and fast, but breakage is a biggie @ least @ our track.
few guys I race w/ have ran tc3's on oval. two that i know of.
tc3Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 08:46 PM   #11
ASM
Tech Master

I won the 2003 Snowbirds in this class with a TC3 chassis that was modified. I adapted an AE L3 six cell tray to the chassis and it allowed me to move the cells from front to rear. Not too long after that, Leading Edge came out with a modification kit that looked very close to what I had done. I'm not saying they copied my design but mine was the first one that I knew of, that modified in that way. I had heard another of racer on the west coast of Florida, Floyd Holton that had modified one but his was done much differently. Both TC3's were modified to move the cells out to left but they were done completely different.

The TC3 is a very good chassis for oval but it seemed to be that I really had to "wheel" it. The XRAY FK01 and EVO 2 freedom of coice chassis both have holes already drilled that will line up and allow you to adapt a 6-cell tray. The Oval Assassin version from Superior Hobbies also has holes that line up as well. The Assassin is a very stable car and is easier to drive than the TC3 in my opinion. Afterall, it's pretty hard to get a touring chassis powered by a 19 turn to run basically wide open all the way around a small carpet oval. Can you picture running your touring car without letting of the throttle for 4 minutes? LOL!!

USVTA Member #116
Old 05-04-2005, 08:52 PM   #12
ASM
Tech Master

tc3Guru, I hear ya! Did you see the size of my front bumper..LOL! That thing is as solid as a ROCK!!

USVTA Member #116
Old 05-04-2005, 09:40 PM   #13
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Afterall, it's pretty hard to get a touring chassis powered by a 19 turn to run basically wide open all the way around a small carpet oval. Can you picture running your touring car without letting of the throttle for 4 minutes? LOL!!
Actually, ive done it many times. Alot of the guys in my club can run WFO all the way around our short carpet oval. We all run stock suspension, 19t Orion motors, 78/17 48p gears, and HPI X-pattern tires. You can easily hold it wide open around our track, but I prefer to get off the throttle on corner entry and let it roll through the middle. But yea, alot of guys hold it to the floor all the way around.
Old 05-04-2005, 10:43 PM   #14
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Racefan, I've always thought there should be an oval class for unmodified 4wd touring car chassis so...we started one !! Our club offers a "spec" touring oval class meant for those that really want to race oval but would just as soon not modify their cars or purchase a custom oval chassis. The comments coming from touring drivers have been positive because they feel like they really have to drive the cars more like a real Cup car. Gotta tell you though...it's funny as hell seeing some of the wild setup changes these guy's are willing to try so they can go around in circles !!!
Evoracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 11:24 PM   #15
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Im really interested in 4wd oval but dont know where to start for a set up. What is generally done?? Stiffer RF and LR spring? Bars...one way??
rcdougie is offline   Reply With Quote