R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-07-2002, 10:36 AM   #16
Tech Fanatic

How much smaller are the UMH cells versus other NiMH cells?
coolrcdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2002, 10:42 AM   #17
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to patelladragger

shrekair, I think Rowdy is asking which matcher as in company is producing the best cells. I'm interested in your viewpoint as well, It looks like you have experience with a lot of different company, and I know you have a good sample from lightspeed, so who's got the best packs in your opinion? Or is everyone about the same and it just depends on how good your relationship is with the matcher?
patelladragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2002, 11:02 AM   #18
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

coolrcdad - insignificant.

rowdy and patelladragger - one thing i struggle with when i buy packs is, once u take the label off of a SMH pack, the cell is still black. take off reedy's sticker, trinity's sticker, or even lighspeed, they are still the same cell. a lot of it is also maintenance and how u prepare the cell. i still think that the panasonic SMH or UMH packs will be ur best bet. cells will last longer seeing as though u dont have to charge them at 6-7 amps like HV's. now as far as favorite matchers, i have had nothing but great luck with reedy packs. i have 5 SMH packs fromt them, all are discharged to .9 and trayed, stored, trayed before each charge. after about 15-20 cycles they were all re-matched on a turbo matcher 4 and the number for run time and voltage held steady and IR dropped to 15-18 on every cell. so my average pack was 1.16-1.17v 510 sec 15-18 IR. and i race them every week. if i can get 2 runs on them in a day, the faster i'll be. seeing as thats the nature of that cell. so that said my first choive would be reedy packs. i did however have 2 club packs of the 3000h old sanyo cell from PEAK and they were incredible. i paid 39.99 a pack and neither disapointed me! but i havent run any other peak packs since. but there are worth it i would bet. i also really like pro-match batteries, they always seem to come out really well on a turbo matcher 4 (from pro-match) and they run as their numbers show. off the shelf pro-match packs have some of the best numbers. so in buying new packs i would use either reedy smh world packs or pro-match packs. but like i said, take off the label, the cell is still black. so who's to say that orion,peak, lightspeed, dnb, nuclearpower, trinity, SMC etc packs arent good? and i as well am always learning about new packs.
a few guys here are having really good luck w/ the SMC cells and they say that they are very strong. but i have no expierence w/ SMC.

the pack from lightspeed i have is strong, but my reedy SMH packs have every bit as much umph. then again i only have 5-6 cycles on the lightspeed UMH pack though and my reedy packs got stronger the more i ran them. the answere is out there somewhere.

Last edited by shrekair; 08-07-2002 at 11:08 AM.
shrekair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2002, 01:05 AM   #19
Tech Adept

Thanks Shrekair, when you buy your packs do you go for the cells that have the biggest numbers on the label or is the difference between these and the less expensive packs marginal at best.
Rowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2002, 09:13 AM   #20
Tech Fanatic

if i just want a couple packs to run a points season on, it really doesnt matter. like i said, i found a killer deal on those peak sanyos the were the old cell but paid 40$ per pack and they were sweet. but generally i find the best packs i can. if your looking for punch, watch the IR numbers, if u want more top speed watch the voltage numbers (thats how it was explained to me) and run time is itself. if u want really really nice packs, turbo matcher numbers should be (turbo matcher 4) 18ir and under, 1.18v +, then run time is what u can find. if u order world class cells, i always remember they read different but i cant remember which way, it still a turbo matcher but its like more run time and less voltage. i think. on the lavco machine u want IR of 3.3 and under. i cant remember lavco voltages. I try to find the best cell in the case where ever I look, and if i watch and i see one i like, i'll buy it. that way i can find the best packs when i have money to afford one or 2 extra. it was done differently with the reedy packs because a guy bought 10 of them, ran them 10-15 cycles and re-matched them all. these were just any 10 off the shelf packs. after they were re-matched i got packs 6-10 and they were better then they were out of the box because he had a couple brand new packs too and i tried one. ???????? theres different ways to do it, just what ur comfortable with and what u can afford.
Old 08-13-2002, 08:58 PM   #21
Tech Adept

What's the best way to look after 2400's? Currently I charge them at 5amps .05 peak detect and 20amp discharge. Straight after the race I discharge them and put them on an equalizing tray and leave them there until next time they're cycled. Any improvments on this method?
Old 08-13-2002, 11:49 PM   #22
Tech Fanatic

put battery bugs on them during the week to hold voltage down.
Old 08-14-2002, 12:09 AM   #23
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to MaverickRacing
Exclamation

Basically, the lower the MAH, the more punch, until you get below 1700s. The Panasonic 3000s SUCK. i havent tried the anyo 3000s so i dunno. I prefer 2400s over anything but 2000s for stock racing.
MaverickRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2002, 01:34 AM   #24
Tech Adept

What are battery bugs?
Old 08-14-2002, 07:51 AM   #25
Tech Fanatic

I'm going to try a Pro Match UMH pack and see how I like it. Hard to find UMHs other than Trinity but KT Hobbies has Pro Match.
coolrcdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2002, 08:47 AM   #26
Tech Fanatic

battery bugs are a piece of wire about 3 inches long w/ resistors and an LED light on it to make sure the voltage in the pack is held down after they are trayed. i dont know what the order or size of the resistors is. i havent used them in 2 years
Old 08-14-2002, 11:39 AM   #27
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

I use these,

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...1&I=LXJ282&P=7

After using my packs I just plug one of those in and forget about it, my packs still perform well and I don't tray them. If you run weekly they should be fully discharged buy the time you race again.
fatdoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2002, 12:30 PM   #28
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

Coolrcdad, You can go to www.promatchracing.com and buy direct if need be. Pro Match products are absolutely great. Give them a shot.
Old 08-14-2002, 03:04 PM   #29
Tech Addict

3000 are still better i say just because when you use 2400 the punch is there only in the begining

patelladragger: i like your paint job in your avatar, ill show you mine i ran it at the hitec race
Chris@WeaponR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2002, 06:38 PM   #30
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally posted by RBLove
Coolrcdad, You can go to www.promatchracing.com and buy direct if need be. Pro Match products are absolutely great. Give them a shot.
One of the best things about there website is that if you suck at soldering they will do it for you in any combination you want, saddle, side by side, stick and they'll even put on deans connectors. Sweet website.
fatdoggy is offline   Reply With Quote