R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-25-2005, 01:45 AM   #1
Tech Initiate

Default Racing in Florida...

Hi all, can anyone tell me what events are on in the Orlando area of Florida during 9th thru 29th May? My wife and I are having a holiday during this period and I thought I might have a go at racing my 1/12th circuit car US style! It doesn't have to be a top notch affair, even a local club event would be fine. I was also hoping to go to the Full Throttle Speedway to have a go on the track that held the world's last year, is it OK just to turn up one morning and have a play? Lastly, what good racing shops are in that area? Sorry for all the questions and thanks for any reply. Chris.
north coast rac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 04:26 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

There will be a state series race at T.Q. on May 21-23. Full Throttle is not possible at this time. As for local club racing ? We race 4 cell 19t fixed 24 degree endbell- 1/12th.
WGT-R, GT-12 Racing USA (21.5 ), Formula 1 and Home Track is 386 RaceWay,ROAR #7540.
BullFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 06:48 AM   #3
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to travymoto1

Chris, Superior Hobbies is a great race shop and TQ Hobbies is as well. Both have loads of parts, kits, etc. Both are in Orlando area, but if you are technically in seperate cities. Both should be in the telephone book. Enjoy your Holiday.
travymoto1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 07:30 AM   #4
Tech Initiate

Thanks guys, as a Brit, there is only one place that we are staying at, International Drive! Are these shops/clubs quite close? Is it possible to jump into a taxi and get to them easy? Would anyone be happy to let me 'jump' from their power supply? Thanks for all the help guys, Chris.
Old 04-25-2005, 10:14 AM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

from International drive they are both about 25 or 30 min east, both stores are within 10 min of each other

TQ hobbies races every weekend and Superior races the first sunday of the month. try
Superior

TQ Hobbies
kartermdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 01:27 PM   #6
Tech Elite

If you wanted to race at the state race all you would need is an extension cord as they have power. You show up and will find some power for you (may 21-23).
WGT-R, GT-12 Racing USA (21.5 ), Formula 1 and Home Track is 386 RaceWay,ROAR #7540.
Old 04-25-2005, 06:03 PM   #7
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Cool Holiday race

I think the good racers of Florida can help you with anything you might need to race.
flbugboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 07:42 PM   #8
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

north coast rac. The Florida series crew would like you to race with them. Bring your car/batteries/radio to TQ and we will help you out. There are enough of us to provide power/table space etc. for an over seas visitor. You can buy a roar event membership the day of the race(15.00) and racing for the two days is 25.00. Go to fseara.org for all rules and class info. If you don't have a 19 turn motor let us know and we will find a loaner for you.
tmunno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 12:29 AM   #9
J-P
Tech Regular

tmunno,

im over in florida at the same time as well, is pinellas park near clearwater?? as i would love to race over there for a meeting.

J-P
J-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 12:36 AM   #10
Tech Initiate

Thanks very much guys. I have a 19t motor which I can bolt into my 1/12th car, no problem at all. Do you think that I might get a little bit of hassle going through the airport with all that electronic gear in a bag? Any advice on that? As always, much appreciated! Cheers, Chris.
Old 04-26-2005, 08:17 AM   #11
Tech Elite

Hey north coast I am the rep for the 12 scalers in the Fseara series. When you get in check with me at the track I will guide you. I 'll introduce you to Bull frog ( Bill Fraden) who is our regional director to set you up with a weekend membership which is basically an insurence card so if you get hurt or anthing of the sorts your protected.
I can help with table, chair and a roof over your head so you dont go home looking like a tomato!

Basically we have open practice on the friday of the event, Practice aswell on saturday till noon, 2 qualifiers (wether permiting on sat, 1 more sunday along with the mains.
Tires we use at that track are typical
pinks on the rear and purple up front.
Any tire traction compund .
We run Four cells limit of 3300 mah bats and a roar legal 19t. I am sure we can find you a motor. The track has a well stock permanent hobby store. They advertize here look at the banners up top, They are TQ Hobbies. If you have any questions PM bullfrog or me I will help you as best as possible!

Hector Garcia
Old 04-27-2005, 12:38 AM   #12
Tech Initiate

Hi Hector, thanks very much for the help! I have a pit box that I will take with me, it should be obtain to hold the car, tx, cells, wheels/tyres, charger and some tools. I just hoping that it is not going to be a problem with the security folks at the airport. Obviously, with the increase in airline security, will I be able to get a box full of electronic gear on with no hassle? I hope so! A couple of other things though, is it going to be a problem that I run 40Mhz radio? I know you guys run either 75 or 27 Mhz. Lasly, I run a CEFX C12, do any of the guys that race there have a base setup for this chassis? I take it the meetings are run on the ourdoor tarmac track as per the pics on the TQ website. Thanks again, Chris.

Last edited by north coast rac; 04-27-2005 at 02:19 AM.
Old 04-27-2005, 04:15 AM   #13
Tech Elite

On the radio what kind do you have. I've got spare airtronics recievers and radio module. If not we'll work something out. I can't help out of the set-up for that car - I run Corally. But I think you should run stiff springs up front like 20-22 from Associated? Just a guess.
Old 04-27-2005, 07:04 AM   #14
Tech Initiate

Hi there, thanks again for the reply. I run a twin stick 40 Mhz KO radio (just like Masami Hirosaka's). As for the set up of my CEFX C12, I spoke with non other than David Spashet (you might of heard of him!) this morning and he helped me out with a base setup. Do you guys coat the track with anything? Do you allow the use of 'smelly' additives? Do they offer a lot more grip than non smelly additives that we have to use over here in the UK? I'm really impressed with the help that you guys are offering and appreciate it very much indeed. Cheers, Chris.
Old 04-27-2005, 07:13 AM   #15
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by north coast rac
Hi there, thanks again for the reply. I run a twin stick 40 Mhz KO radio (just like Masami Hirosaka's). As for the set up of my CEFX C12, I spoke with non other than David Spashet (you might of heard of him!) this morning and he helped me out with a base setup. Do you guys coat the track with anything? Do you allow the use of 'smelly' additives? Do they offer a lot more grip than non smelly additives that we have to use over here in the UK? I'm really impressed with the help that you guys are offering and appreciate it very much indeed. Cheers, Chris.
Who doesnt know Dave!

As far as radio dont worry you'll be ok.
for tire traction we dont have a rule for the smelly stuff as we run outdoors.
And as far as track peperation they use vht. The same thing used at dragstrips for the staging line. VERY STICKY!!! Almost like racing on carpet.

When your going thru the airport and if they check your bag make sure you say the fluids are non flamable ONLY! if they ask.. Dont bring motor cleaner they will consficate it.