Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SPRINT 2 SPORT TROUBLE

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 09:25 AM
Tech Initiate

Default SPRINT 2 SPORT TROUBLE

I have a sprint 2 sort, i recently dropped in a element by castle 3900 4 pole. So anyway my belt seems to tighten and pop when i turn the gears or drive it. Could it be the belt or something? Thanks
Old 02-11-2013, 04:01 PM
Tech Apprentice

Front belt? Rear belt? anything stuck in them? Pics? Vids? Come on, can't help you without a better description of the problem.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:11 PM
Tech Initiate

Is seems to only be the front belt, nothing looks Stuck, I've Taken apart the whole front diff and couldn't find anything.. And when i drive the car forward/reverse the front belt seems to tighten then loosen.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:36 AM
Tech Master

We need pictures.

Or, I've always been an advocate of the " tear down and rebuild " method. Pretty much self explanatory. Your car won't have any secrets for you after that.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:31 AM
Tech Initiate

NO PICS..PHONES A PIECE OF SHIT ANYWAY I TOOK IT TO THE LOCAL HOBBY SHOP THEY SAID IT WAS SOMETHING IN THE DIFF TOTALLY TOOK IT APART COULDNT FIND ANYTHING WRONG. BUT THE FRONT BELT SEEMS TO GET ALOT OF TENSION AND THEN SUPER LOOSE. COULD IT BE A GEAR PROBLEM I HAVE A 23 PIN AND 90 SPUR. SEEMS LIKE SOMETHING IS LOCKING CAUSING THE TENSION BUT I CANT FIGURE IT OUT...
Old 02-12-2013, 10:59 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

something is stuck in your gear. so the belt cant fully seat itself in there. pull the diff out and get an exacto knife and clean out every notch.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:43 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by IRIEirieIRIE
NO PICS..PHONES A PIECE OF SHIT ANYWAY I TOOK IT TO THE LOCAL HOBBY SHOP THEY SAID IT WAS SOMETHING IN THE DIFF TOTALLY TOOK IT APART COULDNT FIND ANYTHING WRONG. BUT THE FRONT BELT SEEMS TO GET ALOT OF TENSION AND THEN SUPER LOOSE. COULD IT BE A GEAR PROBLEM I HAVE A 23 PIN AND 90 SPUR. SEEMS LIKE SOMETHING IS LOCKING CAUSING THE TENSION BUT I CANT FIGURE IT OUT...
There's only 3 movin parts:
mainshaft pulley pinned to the mainshaft turns
the front tensioner turns
the front diff turns

Start eliminating suspects.

Belt tightening & loosening while in different phases of use is normal.

The belt COULD be getting hung up on the upper deck or the ESC wires or there's something jamming like pebble or one of the infamous loose HPI bulkhead nuts, etc.

Just a friendly tip, boy - using cap locks pretty much tells how old you are or how old you mind is.

Maybe you best back off the cap locks and act respectful from here on out.

If you're pissed off about something go kick your old man in the nuts for his part in the grand scheme of things.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:43 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

by gear Im talking about the belt gear. Just to clear it up. I dont know what else to call it, but I am almost positive that you have buildup of gunk in there, which happens to pretty often.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:51 AM
Tech Apprentice

When you put in the new motor, did you by any chance move or remove the left motor mount or the main shaft?

How tall is the battery you are using? Does the belt hit it?
Old 02-12-2013, 01:21 PM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I've had a similar issue when I purchased a front one-way diff. The machining was off and the belt pulley was off center. It created a tight belt / loose belt issue. Also got a pinion gear with the same issue.

Give the belt some slack and while the tires are off the ground give it some throttle and look for anything that might be off.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:48 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Back track your install of the motor and ESC.

You may have screwed something up, didn't get parts back they way they came out, forgot to put something back in... could be any number of things.

Kinda rough going with so little info.

Here's a wild-ass guess =
Sounds like one of the bearing holders/eccentrics for the main shaft (in the motor mounts) is off a tick or two on one side...
Old 02-12-2013, 01:51 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Pulleys.

They're called pulleys.

The main shaft pulleys are 15 teeth each and the diff pulleys are 32 teeth each
aka as 15T pulley and 32T pulley.

Manuals are here = http://www.hpiracing.com/instructions/#Kits

Originally Posted by ninjlao
by gear Im talking about the belt gear. Just to clear it up. I dont know what else to call it, but I am almost positive that you have buildup of gunk in there, which happens to pretty often.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:29 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Marv
Here's a wild-ass guess =
Sounds like one of the bearing holders/eccentrics for the main shaft (in the motor mounts) is off a tick or two on one side...
I am thinking this, I did it when I cleaned my bearings but realized it before I ever ran it. Something just looked funny so I popped off the clip and found it. I would think it would have wore down one side of your belt but idk.