R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-05-2013, 07:27 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to sportssedanman
Default Help getting up to date on sensorred motors

Hi All, I have been out of RC for a while and am just getting back into it. I have an Xray T2 with a GTB speed control and a 10.5T motor (Similar to picture). Am I right in thinking it is sensored? Do current sensored ESCs and motors use different technology to this one?

Will I be at a speed disadvantage with this older motor and speedie (for racing at my local club)?

What about the T2? Any disadvantage relative to the T4 or other newer touring cars (other than mounting a lipo, which I have sorted out).

Thanks in advance.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Help getting up to date on sensorred motors-gtb-motor.jpg  
sportssedanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:33 PM   #2
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

No speed disadvantage if tou run no timing...
bertrandsv87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:39 PM   #3
Suspended

I guess you'll only need to get a 17.5t or 13.5t motor, since the 10.5t blinky class disappeared... The esc is Roar legal....
Old 02-05-2013, 08:47 PM   #4
Suspended

The cheapest way to get up to speed is to buy a $35 Novak 17.5 or 13.5 stator to replace the 10.5 one you have in there now....
Old 02-05-2013, 08:53 PM   #5
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertrandsv87 View Post
No speed disadvantage if tou run no timing...
I am not clear on how the timing thing works. Does my motor have variable timing? Does sensored mean that a motor has variable timing?
Old 02-05-2013, 09:08 PM   #6
Suspended

Sensored systems use sensors to find the position of the rotor.... Your motor has variable timing, but not your esc,, which is fine for blinky racing... I would not touch the motor timing though for 17.5/13.5 racing... You can find more info on the Novak site...
Old 02-05-2013, 09:09 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
The cheapest way to get up to speed is to buy a $35 Novak 17.5 or 13.5 stator to replace the 10.5 one you have in there now....
Do they sell stators for that motor?
defcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:18 PM   #8
Suspended

It looks like an old SS motor, and thought they had stators for it, but it does not seem to be the case. The only other option here is to send the motor to Novak so they can send you a ballistic as a trade in . It's free...
Old 02-06-2013, 03:19 AM   #9
Tech Adept

Quote:
Sensored systems use sensors to find the position of the rotor.... Your motor has variable timing, but not your esc,, which is fine for blinky racing... I would not touch the motor timing though for 17.5/13.5 racing... You can find more info on the Novak site...
You were right, there is good info on the Novak site. I looked in the Tech Info section under Informational Articles. So from what I read:

- Motors can have their physical timing changed, but it can not change as you drive.
- ESCs can change timing of the motor electronically, while you drive. With Novak the X-drive ESCs can do this. Novak has two types of motor timing adjustment - Dynamic Timing Advance and Xtra Timing. The former works through the throttle band while the latter works only at top speed, after a time delay and when certain conditions are met.
- Sensorred systems allow the ESC to know where the rotor is positioned meaning superior start up and well as other advantages. Knowing the rotor position allows timing to be adjusted by the ESC.

From the Novak site you can get your SS Pro spec replaced with a Ballistic for $64. Seems you can't get your GTB replaced though.

David
Old 02-06-2013, 04:55 AM   #10
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
It looks like an old SS motor, and thought they had stators for it, but it does not seem to be the case. The only other option here is to send the motor to Novak so they can send you a ballistic as a trade in . It's free...
free? really?
Old 02-06-2013, 06:50 AM   #11
Tech Fanatic

Please ignore what bertrandsv87 says, everyone else does.

First thing you need to do is check what classes are running at your local track. Touring cars at club level usually run slower motors such as 13.5 or 17.5.

Your GTB is pretty old technology as far as ESCs go, but whether it can keep up depends on what class you are going to run in. These days there are open classes which allow dynamic timing ESCs which seriously boost the speed of the motor but the open classes are not that popular and the GTB would be way slower than a modern ESC. Most tend to run what's called 'blinky' class, named because modern ESCs blink one of the LEDs so you can see it is in fixed timing mode. The GTB should be competitive in these blinky classes but more up to date ESCs still give better power delivery.

And you will struggle to find any decent racer using Novak motors and ESC.
terry.sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:04 PM   #12
Suspended

Another Novak basher !!! Decent racers think they're good because they all use the illegal d3.5 trinity motor in the spec class 17.5t... Novak has an Ultra low resistance stator coming out to face the cheaters...
By the way, my gtb esc with the regular Novak 13.5t motor can't be touched down the straight..... I am sure other manufacturers are listening !
Also, you can always buy a new ballistic motor instead of going through the trade in system, and use the SS motor for practice only.... Beware of those telling you to dump what you already have to buy their stuff: they might want you to buy their illegal d3.5 motors...
Old 02-06-2013, 05:45 PM   #13
Tech Adept

Thanks for your help guys. I am reading with interest....

I actually have a 1/10 Xray T2 with GTB and 13.5 Novak (the photo I posted was one I found on the internet), and a T4 with GTB and silver can (soon to get 10.5 Novak that is sitting in the spare parts box). I will try racing my T2 as is and see how I go. It sure feels fast when I race up and down my street! The T4 is for my son to play around with.

I also have an Xray XB8EC which I might convert to electric. That is for me (and my son) to play around with and sometimes race.

So what is the fastest ESC/motor combination for 13.5T stock (non blinky)?
Old 02-06-2013, 06:06 PM   #14
Suspended

You mean non boosted .... I think most will run d3.5's with tekin rs or Orca , but I am sticking with my Novaks.... I can't wait for their ULR stators to come out so I can build my fastest 17.5t Novak motor...... Peace......
Old 02-06-2013, 06:57 PM   #15
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportssedanman View Post
So what is the fastest ESC/motor combination for 13.5T stock (non blinky)?
The best advice I can give is to go to your local track and see what's being used by the fast guys as it's useful for help programming your ESC while you are learning what they do. For both blinky and boosted the popular ESCs around here are Hobbywing Xerun 120A, Tekin RS Pro, LRP Flow, Orca VTC Pro, Speed Passion GT2.1. Personally I use Hobbywing and Tekin.

Motors used around here are Hobbywing, Thunder Power, HPI Flux Pro and Speed Passion. Trinity and Reedy motors aren't available.

The most popular motors generally are the Reedy Sonic and Trinity D3.5, the Trinity 13.5T has a reputation for being the fastest motor.

Quote:
Beware of those telling you to dump what you already have to buy their stuff: they might want you to buy their illegal d3.5 motors...
You do understand that it's only the 17.5T D3.5 that's banned. The 13.5T D3.5 is still perfectly legal.
terry.sc is offline   Reply With Quote