R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-14-2002, 04:41 PM   #106
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via ICQ to Boomer Send a message via AIM to Boomer

Ken - I assumed you knew where Malta is.

As for how many cars race in our events. . .I estimate it's about 1/3 TC-3, 1/3 Yok, the rest Losi with a smattering of Schumacher and X-Rays (they are quite a bit more expensive).

So, when the A-Mains are filled with far more AE than Yok or Losi or Sch or Hudy, it says something to me. Not really that the car is superior - it isn't, necessarily - I don't think it's superior - I think it's easier to drive and to setup and to tweak on, but the Yok drives more like a Pro10 (with dual one-ways) so it should be faster through the corners, and the Losi is easier to drive immediately, but harder to really fine tune.

There are virtually NO Tamiyas running unless you talk about Minis. The cars worth their salt are just far far too expensive and the rest call the slop in the steering a "feature" - actual word used by Tamiya. . ."variable toe". . .
Old 08-14-2002, 08:40 PM   #107
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to ROBORAT

nnick: oops, sori i wasnt too clear in my previous post. i was actually referring to the battery issue in the Euro's as merely an excuse (somone brought this up earlier). like what you've said, at that level of competition, these top drivers all have access to the best batts available so it pretty much evens out the playing field. batts defenitly matter thats why the sponsors/manufacturers make sure thier top drivers are getting what they need to win.

http://www.hobbyhaven.com.my/
ROBORAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2002, 09:34 PM   #108
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by johnbull

Now tell me something Manticore, DTM, and Ken Tan. What is your favorite electric touring car at present.....honestly? And what is the most popular car in your part of the world. I mean in terms of numbers in the top 10.
Well, I really like the 414m. What is usually in top 10 are a mixture of cars from Kyosho, Tamiya, Xray, Losi, AE, Atlas, Yokomo, etc.. No specific car gaining significant advantage.
Kenneth Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2002, 02:12 AM   #109
Tech Master

Hi guys. Greetings from Malta.

You know I tend to agree with Roborat about batteries.

Assuming:
a) that there isn't much between the best Trinity, Reedy, Corally, Orion, Peak (same thing), and LRP cells,
b) that obviously the suppliers are going to give the best drivers their best cells,
c) that obviously the best drivers are going to be in the top ten, then Roborat is right to assume that there isn't much in the way of difference in cells among top runners.

Same can be said for motors. If you look at the spec sheets, it's all 12 x 1 and 12 x 2 nowadays.

That does narrow it down a fair bit to drivers and cars.

Ken Tan. I see you have a greater selection in the Far East. Sounds great.

Boomer, the situation in the states, seems pretty much the same as ours, except that the Losi never caught on so much here, so it's mainly a two horse battle between TC3s and MR4s. At the moment anyway. HPI came in for a while, but they seem to have gone out as quickly as they came in.

We'll see what happens this coming season, though judging by what guys are testing and practicing with it looks like more of the same.

Now here's another statement to start arguing about. I reckon the best driver of all is Atsushi Hara. When he had a good car he won the World Championship.

That one should keep this thread alive!

Regards

Joe from sunny Malta.
johnbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2002, 03:17 AM   #110
dtm
Tech Champion

Send a message via ICQ to dtm

Quote:
Originally posted by johnbull
..................Now tell me something Manticore, DTM, and Ken Tan. What is your favorite electric touring car at present.....honestly? And what is the most popular car in your part of the world. I mean in terms of numbers in the top 10.
I think we should move the debate on....it's getting a little boring!!

As to my current favorite electric car...I have been trying to find one for the past few months since switching back to EP from GP.....Have been trying the Alex CE4 and Tamiya TB Evo2, both of which I do not like enough to run as an only car. So instead, I am now trying out my old Xray with the C-Hub conversion. Right now...I don't not have a favorite EP car!!

As for my all time favorite.....well that honour goes to the Kawada SV10.....for no particular reason....but those cars are currently in retirement!
dtm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2002, 03:20 AM   #111
dtm
Tech Champion

Send a message via ICQ to dtm

As for the most popular in HKG, the latest 'hit' car is Alex Baracuda. Altas YM34 Type Ts is also common, Yok MR4 is still fairly common. There are of course still a few TC3 but their numbers are limited.......
dtm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2002, 03:23 PM   #112
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by nnick

As I have mentioned before - my belief - cars don't win races drivers do! The fact that another TC3 won doesn't make any difference to me. Were was Levanen in Madrid? Were was Baker in Madrid? It tells me something about driver incostistency (if they were racing of course!). At least Grosskamp finished well on all races!!
For those who don't know: Barry Baker only raced in gas class, their exactly words said to me about not racing here was: 'Yawn... too boring and too tired' he preferred to race gas and kick some ass (as it did).
[quote=MugenDrew;2684554]BATTERIES are for FLASH LIGHTS, gasoline is for cleanin parts, alcohol is for me to drink and well NITRO...everybody know thats for racing.[/quote] :D:D:D
Corse-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2002, 03:48 PM   #113

I haven't been following this thread too closely, but this is my opinion on things.

For any given car, there are hundreds, even thousands of possible setups. The geometry on these cars is not fixed. Therefore, setup plays an extremely important role in how well these cars handle. For this reason, I think almost any of the competition level touring cars out there today can be setup to be just as fast, or depending on the setup, faster, than the others. Granted, parts used, such as one-ways, lightened parts (mainly driveshafts, outdrives, etc) also can make a difference. This is why cars like the Pro 3 may not be very fast until you have made them into a completely different car.

This is just my opinion on things.
Speedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2002, 11:23 PM   #114
Tech Initiate

Hi Joe,

So you are saying that the HPI is not as good as the TC3 or any other car that you import. So how come that I put all your TC3 drivers behind me last year in 5 of the first 6 races with a box standard hpi that costed me Lm125. You know what type of driver I am, I am not as good as Joshua but when I made pressure he made some mistakes and then he start winning the races when we were in different classes. I am not telling that Joshua is not good, on the contrary if there is a driver that I follow when there is practice is simply him because from him I always learn something.

But I beg you don't jump into conclusions. You have never drove an hpi so don't critisize it. I can assure you it is as good as the TC3, MR4 and Corally. As you know I drove them all and even an X-Ray and beleive me if you set them to suit your style, have a good motor and a couple of good batteries they are all fast. Joe as you know most people don't spend so much time as you and I spend on testing different setups on the cars and they jump into conclusions that cars are not that good.

To all: this is a good tread but don't be personal

Regards
Ray
Remo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2002, 09:54 AM   #115
Tech Elite

Send a message via ICQ to Boomer Send a message via AIM to Boomer

Quote:
But I beg you don't jump into conclusions. You have never drove an hpi so don't critisize it.
Remo,

Right back at ya, bud! You don't know what cars I have driven or set up.

Just as a point - the HPI (in its more or less original form) is much better in an outdoor, lower traction environment due to the chassis flex that it has. It tends to be not as good on a high bite surface for that same reason. It is not a fault of the car, it is a design issue.

I don't think that I, nor Joe, were trying to argue the absolute superiority of any single car. Rather, we were arguing against the premise that the driver is so all powerful that the car had nothing to do with it (put Barry in an HPI and he would be even with Barry in a Yok or Barry in a TC3) - I think that the car has a LOT to do with it. A superior car (especially in the environment that it is designed for) will make a superior driver better.
Old 09-03-2002, 01:11 PM   #116
Tech Master

Hi guys. Greetings from Malta.

Glad to see that my teaser about Hara and the car he drives got this thread moving again. I presume that's what it was anyway.

Amazing what a little nudge does once in a while!

Now what shall we kick up next, let's see?

Anyone seen the KO Grand Prix results this year? You can read all about Yokomo's great double on either the KO site, the BRCA site, or the CML site. Who said the MR4 was dead!

Regards

Joe from sunny Malta.
Old 09-04-2002, 01:17 AM   #117
Tech Master

Hi Guys. Greetings from Malta.

Three years into it's life, and with hardly any changes, the TC3 just keeps on winning.

The latest in a fantastic series of wins for the Associated TC3 came last weekend at Snetterton in England when not only were both the stock and the modified A finals won with TC3s, but TC3s clinched both championships, with one round still to go.

It doesn't seem to matter who drives it. The TC3 is a real winner, and it's not just me yacking but guys proving it, on the race track every weekend......where it matters!

regards

Joe from sunny Malta.
Old 09-04-2002, 01:41 AM   #118
Tech Champion

Manticore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2002, 07:14 AM   #119
Tech Regular

sigh. johnbull i think we get what you've been trying to say thru this entire thread.....
can you talk about something new which is related to the thread title?
Kyew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2002, 10:11 AM   #120
Tech Master

Kyew,

What car do you run?