R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-09-2002, 01:35 AM   #46
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Yup, who give a shit, we'll probably buy more than 1 brand so who cares, I buy and play 1 until it breaks than I will try another brand. I will try all brands if I can. Anyway I have quite a number of brands under my wings, kyosho, tamiya, ofna, AE, ayk, in the plan for HPI.... etc etc........ Its for fun anyway, who makes the best cars???... I just want to play,play and play...
spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2002, 02:01 AM   #47
Tech Regular

well i can see that certain people in this forum don't give a damn about copyright infringements or stealing ideas as long as they benefit.

i'm out of here.
Kyew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2002, 02:01 AM   #48
Shop Owner

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to nnick Send a message via MSN to nnick Send a message via Yahoo to nnick Send a message via Skype™ to nnick

From what I've heard the reason Serpent, Corally, X-ray are so much a like and share many parts is due to the fact they used to share the same designing team. Together with Hudy are a group of companies that share knowledge.

Like in F1 were Sauaber takes previous years engines from Ferrari.

When all are saying about copying designs what about F1. Don't all cars look the same. Which copied from whom then??

When it comes to winning, it's mostly the driver not the car he uses. The car will provide adjastability options - all high end touring cars have them - and how fast he can make those changes.

Top drivers don't mind what car they use. They will make it to perform as they want, that's why they are top drivers. If you give them a brick with shocks they will be faster than we are with no matter car we use. As for the rest of us, I must agree, that sometimes it looks to us that a certain car is better than other just because we drive it better than the other BUT this is becuase we don't know how to setup it correctly!

I drove a friend's Schumacher Mission and I was running faster than my own car. What should I do, sell my car and buy a Schumacher? NO I should try and make my car to run better than his!!! Also I've run even other people xray's some were handling better some not! AGAIN the car isn't important at this category

All cars have advantages and disadvantages, so which is the best car comes to personal opinion. For me is the X-Ray (looks, fast setup changes, great support), Pro3 Hara Edition (looks, batteries in center). That's why I own both For you is TC3 and Yokomo. That's fine. After all it's a hobby (for us at least) and the bottom line is to have FUN!!

Nick

The #1 source for all your electric needs www.rcring.eu

Enjoy RCing....
R/C Tech #82
IRT #123

Don't practice until you get it right. Practice until you can't get it wrong

Team Xray T4'17, Team Xray X10'18, TOP Racing Rebel
nnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2002, 02:08 AM   #49
Shop Owner

Send a message via ICQ to nnick Send a message via MSN to nnick Send a message via Yahoo to nnick Send a message via Skype™ to nnick
Default Batteries in Euros

As for batteries top driver's used in Euros, I know from a very reliable source that Spachet received from Trinity (from US express delivery) 3300 batteries BUT he didn't like them (no run time) and he finally run batteries from his other sponsor (LRP)

So, yes batteries make a difference in all levels of competition

Enjoy RCing....
R/C Tech #82
IRT #123

Old 08-09-2002, 04:26 AM   #50
Tech Master

Hi guys. Greetings from Malta.

Goodness there's so much to read in this thread. I started it off just to ribb a few X ray owners, but it has grown out of all proportions and makes very interesting reading, with contributions from all over the world, including from Mr X Ray himself.

I don't know who it was that mentioned inventors / originators of various bits. Well the ball diff was invented by Cecil Schumacher when he was working at Cosworth Engineering. He used to prepare his son's cars before branching off to make his own very successful business.

We seem to have certainly established one undisputable fact, and that is that the original X Ray was indeed a carbon copy of the Corally C4. Perhaps that's why they called it an X Ray - because it's an X Ray copy of the C4. Somebody also said the Corally was a copy of something else but didn't say what. In 10 years in RC I don't remember anything remotely resembling a Corally C4.

I must say, where I take my hat off to X Ray (Hudy) is in their marketing. They have managed to build a hype around their car that no other manufacturer that I know of has managed. Well done Mario! Certainly Corally could learn a bit from there, for they have an excellent car indeed. Remember the Corally C4 won the Euros at it's first attempt, in the hands of Andy Griffiths, and has placed consistantly well since, despite the lack of numbers. And of course the Euros have shown us that it didn't need the sort of major changes and hop ups that the X rays have gone through in just a couple of years, to remain competitive, so it is also far more cost effective, as is the TC3. If you buy the FT you don't need to do anything else to make it competitive.

Lets think of fun by all means, but let's also look at cost.

Nick from Greece - read my previous insertions with my invitation to race in Malta! My goodness that's a strange thing you mention about Spashett and cells. His performance was somewhat disappointing. I know David and I am sure he would be the first person to admit it. So as everybody is saying that it's the cells that count most, does this mean that both Trinity, and LRP make lousy cells? I don't think so.

It's just amazing how people always have to find some excuse for their mediocre performances. The latest excuse is cells.

Regards

Joe from sunny Malta
johnbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2002, 04:26 AM   #51
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

just a thing worth considering with the new 3300 batteries...

These cells are made (distributed?) by GP...Powers. Who distributes Corally in Japan? ...Powers. At least I would not be surprised if Corally got the best of these new cells. Powers want to sell as many Corally cars in Japan as possible. Good results helps alot when you want to sell a product so obviously Powers would want Corally to do well, wherever they race.
Old 08-09-2002, 05:18 AM   #52
dtm
Tech Champion

Send a message via ICQ to dtm

Quote:
Originally posted by johnbull
...................................We seem to have certainly established one undisputable fact, and that is that the original X Ray was indeed a carbon copy of the Corally C4. Perhaps that's why they called it an X Ray - because it's an X Ray copy of the C4. Somebody also said the Corally was a copy of something else but didn't say what. In 10 years in RC I don't remember anything remotely resembling a Corally C4.
Haha...Joe....you're like a little bull dog (in the best sense of course! ).....once you get hold of something you never let go....

I think YOU have established that the Xray is a carbon copy of the Corally.....not 'WE'!! I had the C4 before the Xray...at first I also thought it was a copy ....then I bought the Xray and realised that the only parts inter-changable between the 2 was the centre one-way (and the shocks- Serpent).....and both of them were a pretty crap design anyway!

However, I do like your style!!
dtm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2002, 05:33 AM   #53
dtm
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by Kyew
well i can see that certain people in this forum don't give a damn about copyright infringements or stealing ideas as long as they benefit.

i'm out of here.
What you mean like Tamiya should sue ALL the other manufacturers for copying their TC RC Car!!!!!????? errrrr....get real!!!!!
Old 08-09-2002, 07:20 AM   #54
Tech Champion

what about full size car manufactures?...now they don't copy each other do they?!
Old 08-09-2002, 08:41 AM   #55
dtm
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by black-knight
what about full size car manufactures?...now they don't copy each other do they?!
Of course not...some have their steering wheels on the left and some on the right.....some even go as bold as to have it in the middle!!!!!
Old 08-09-2002, 09:07 AM   #56
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by dtm

Of course not...some have their steering wheels on the left and some on the right.....some even go as bold as to have it in the middle!!!!!
nah nah !! they do mirror image copy !
Manticore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2002, 10:23 AM   #57
Shop Owner

Quote:
Originally posted by johnbull
Nick from Greece - read my previous insertions with my invitation to race in Malta! My goodness that's a strange thing you mention about Spashett and cells. His performance was somewhat disappointing. I know David and I am sure he would be the first person to admit it. So as everybody is saying that it's the cells that count most, does this mean that both Trinity, and LRP make lousy cells? I don't think so.

It's just amazing how people always have to find some excuse for their mediocre performances. The latest excuse is cells.

Regards

Joe from sunny Malta
I only mentioned what my friend told me about the cells Spachett used. I said that the batch of Trinity batteries didn't give him the run time he needed that's why LRP (the other sponsor) gave him some batteries that lasted longer. I never said that as an excuse for Spashett (I don't know the guy) I only stated it as a fact.
You said you have a store in Malta. Don't tell me that every battey Trinity, Orion etc (whatever you sell) send you even though the numbers are close perform the same!!?!!?? Just happend that particular batch of batteries from Trinity not to have what Spashett needed!!

Regarding the invitation to Malta, as you mentioned in a previous post money is the problem . I'm sure you know what I mean

Is there anyone coming to Greece for the HPI Eurocup??

Regards and remember rc is for fun!!

Nick

Enjoy RCing....
R/C Tech #82
IRT #123

Last edited by nnick; 08-09-2002 at 10:26 AM.
Old 08-09-2002, 10:51 AM   #58
Tech Master

Hi guys. Greetings from Malta.

Wow this really has turned into a good one.

Now let's see. Who am I going to start ribbing that will definately bite the bait when this thread gets stale!

NNick. To answer your question re batteries, I think they all start off pretty good - I mean the top quality ones. The biggest problem I am finding nowadays is that they don't stay good very long, which is all right for the Spashetts of this world but not such good news for people like us who have to buy our own cells. I suppose at least being in the trade I do get them a fair bit cheaper, but cells are still a major expence.

As for difference between processers I think there isn't much to choose between Reedy, Trinity, Corally, Orion, and all the big firms. They all make some pretty impressive cells.

What I can say is that when we were at the worlds - we were using Orion cells then. I approached Oscar and asked him what he thought of the figures on our cells. He told me there was no need for him to give us any of the ones he had, for the figures were about the same, so clearly their top cells are pretty well top. I'm not saying that they don't keep the very top for people like Timo Lieno, Steenari, Groskamp (Peak/Orion), etc. But their top marketed cells must be pretty good. Certainly Josh (my son) had as much straight line speed and acceleration as the best guys. It's round the corners that the other guys were quicker.

Where about are you in Greece? I have a friend who has just left for Greece today. He has a house on one of the Islands.

I have just received a new stock of bodyshells from Protoform today. Their "Crowd Pleaser" looks interesting. I also received some of the new Yokomo chargers. Real value for money considering all their functions.

Regards

Joe from sunny Malta.
Old 08-09-2002, 02:38 PM   #59
Shop Owner

JohnBull

From my experience regarding batteries, all the good ones are still giving very good performance after almost 1 year. I have 6 packs of World Sanyo HV, 3 packs Orion and 3 pack Peak. I find it very difficult to distinguish which one I run.

I live in Voula a suberb of Athens, 10 kilometers from Varkiza were 2 years back the European Kyosho (http://www.dsaw-hobbies.com) was held and 40km away from the host of the HPI European (http://www.fanatix.gr)

Do you have a site?

Nick

Have fun!

Enjoy RCing....
R/C Tech #82
IRT #123

Old 08-09-2002, 11:30 PM   #60
Tech Master

Hi Nnick, greetings from Malta.

I'm afraid I don't have my own web site yet, but i have somebody working on one, which will be www.johnbull-malta.com when it is eventually up and running.

While I'm at it I hope to persuade ther same chap to include a site for our club, which will be www.irmcc.com

This address is already running, but as a holiday and travel site. just so that we grab the address before anyone else does.

Re batteries, are you sure you are still getting the same punch out of your cells, because what I find is that they keep their run time, but simply loose out on punch.

You seem well placed for circuits. We too are lucky that way for Malta is so small you can drive across the island in less than an hour. In fact I spend an hour or so at the track most evenings.

Regards

Joe from sunny Malta.