R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-05-2013, 04:55 PM   #16
Tech Master
 
Mr RCTech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,291
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM View Post
WD40 does work outdoors.

I think Trinity Tire Tweak is motor oil(80% sure)

SXT 3.0 is charcoal lighter fluid, a.k.a. naptha (99% sure). I have been using this for club racing for months now and sxt 3.0 vs. lighter fluid lap times are identical. The stuff for starting bbq's not zippo lighters.
Close but it contains two ingredients.

60% Colmen fuel
40% Mineral spirits

WD40 is mostly made from fish oil.
Just saying...
Mr RCTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:35 PM   #17
Tech Master
 
jsinclair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: rice lake, wi
Posts: 1,036
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr RCTech View Post
Close but it contains two ingredients.

60% Colmen fuel
40% Mineral spirits

WD40 is mostly made from fish oil.
Just saying...
So are you saying that charcoal lighter fluid isn't naptha (which would be true, because its only ingredient is aliphatic petroleum solvent,) or are saying that sxt 3.0 is 60/40% colmen fuel ( contains naptha and a few other ingredients) and 40% mineral spirits.

?
jsinclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:28 PM   #18
Tech Master
 
Mr RCTech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,291
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsinclair View Post
So are you saying that charcoal lighter fluid isn't naptha (which would be true, because its only ingredient is aliphatic petroleum solvent,) or are saying that sxt 3.0 is 60/40% colmen fuel ( contains naptha and a few other ingredients) and 40% mineral spirits.

?
The Colmen fuel is a high grade naptha.

Yes, 60/40 is the formula for SXT 3.0.
Try it and you will find this to be true.
Mr RCTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:08 AM   #19
Tech Regular
 
SS LS1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 360
Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM View Post
SXT 3.0 is charcoal lighter fluid, a.k.a. naptha (99% sure). I have been using this for club racing for months now and sxt 3.0 vs. lighter fluid lap times are identical. The stuff for starting bbq's not zippo lighters.
Don't you find the SXT 3.0 to have much less of a smell than say lighter fluid? I would love for it to be the same but not totally convinced. Maybe SXT3.0 is more like lamp oil?
__________________
Tamiya 417v7 Sedan, ___ Tamiya 417v7 USGT, ___ CEFEX EVO w/ 417 suspension VTA
Exotex TA06 Pro CS Drifting, ___ Tamiya 417v5 (sold)
AE SC10 4x4
AE SC10 AE B4.11
SS LS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:37 AM   #20
Tech Champion
 
AdrianM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 5,914
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS LS1 View Post
Don't you find the SXT 3.0 to have much less of a smell than say lighter fluid? I would love for it to be the same but not totally convinced. Maybe SXT3.0 is more like lamp oil?
No it smells identical to the Publix brand Charcoal Lighter Fluid I use.

I will try the naptha, mineral spirits mix. I had heard there was something else in it but the straight naptha has worked great so far. I really love the $3.99 per quart price too!
__________________
Adrian Martinez
What I run: Schumacher Mi5/Associated RC10R5.1/Associated RC12R5.2/Futaba/HobbyWing/Team EA Motorsports/BSR Racing
Where I run: Florida Indoor R/C Complex/Thunder Racing/Florida On Road State Series
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:50 AM   #21
Tech Addict
 
mxgregg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Nor-Cal
Posts: 610
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

I have used WD-40 on my off road tires with good results.
__________________
CRG Road Rebel stock moto 125
Birel Q31 Briggs LO 206
mxgregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:33 AM   #22
Tech Champion
 
AdrianM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 5,914
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Did some reading at lunch...

Naptha and Mineral Spirits are the two best solvents for natural rubber. Rubber does not dissolve easily so the effect of these solvents is very gradual in out application.

Plasticizers are compounds use to make rubber softer. Paragon Ground Fx used oil of wintergreen (methyl salicylate) in a Xylene solvent. This is combo is also sold as Rubber Rejuvenator.

Asphalt guys use GoJo hand cleaner and Suntan lotion as traction compound. The active ingredient for our application is Lanolin. It is a very effective at softening rubber. Especially hen combined with a solvent. On asphalt I put on paragon and cover it with suntan lotion. That has been the best asphalt traction compound combo for years.

Pretty cool to know why stuff works....
__________________
Adrian Martinez
What I run: Schumacher Mi5/Associated RC10R5.1/Associated RC12R5.2/Futaba/HobbyWing/Team EA Motorsports/BSR Racing
Where I run: Florida Indoor R/C Complex/Thunder Racing/Florida On Road State Series
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:23 PM   #23
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Centurion RSA
Posts: 61
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt.America View Post
I don't use WD-40 as traction compound, but I do clean the tires with it, and put a tiny thin coat on the tires before they are put away at the end of a race day to keep the rubber from drying out. I do the same with my off-road tires as well.
I Do the same, and it works great. If I use the tyres afterwards there is about a 3-4 lap grip(sorex36) in them then they fall off(Low Traction ashphalt). Will try to use another compound this weekend!
benTC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:12 AM   #24
Tech Master
 
Mr RCTech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,291
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM View Post
Did some reading at lunch...

Naptha and Mineral Spirits are the two best solvents for natural rubber. Rubber does not dissolve easily so the effect of these solvents is very gradual in out application.

Plasticizers are compounds use to make rubber softer. Paragon Ground Fx used oil of wintergreen (methyl salicylate) in a Xylene solvent. This is combo is also sold as Rubber Rejuvenator.

Asphalt guys use GoJo hand cleaner and Suntan lotion as traction compound. The active ingredient for our application is Lanolin. It is a very effective at softening rubber. Especially hen combined with a solvent. On asphalt I put on paragon and cover it with suntan lotion. That has been the best asphalt traction compound combo for years.

Pretty cool to know why stuff works....
You know your chemicals.

The lanolin works great at softening the tires used with tire warmers.
The best source for 100% lanolin is in a tube in nipple cream.

The old GoJo was really good as it was Kerosene based which is now
substituted with citrus sol.

And please no nipple jokes...LOL!
Mr RCTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:03 PM   #25
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 102
Default

do you guys do a burnout of any sorts before lining up to get the tires warming up/get any loose compound off?

id love to hear everyones steps
theagentorange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:37 AM   #26
Tech Regular
 
SS LS1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 360
Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr RCTech View Post
Close but it contains two ingredients.

60% Colmen fuel
40% Mineral spirits

WD40 is mostly made from fish oil.
Just saying...
Interesting reading guys...... Mr RCTech, just to clarify one thing..... You are talking about using Coleman camping fuel correct and not charcoal lighter fluid like mentioned above? (assuming charcoal fluid and Coleman camping fuel are not the same thing, are they?)
__________________
Tamiya 417v7 Sedan, ___ Tamiya 417v7 USGT, ___ CEFEX EVO w/ 417 suspension VTA
Exotex TA06 Pro CS Drifting, ___ Tamiya 417v5 (sold)
AE SC10 4x4
AE SC10 AE B4.11
SS LS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:19 AM   #27
Tech Master
 
Mr RCTech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,291
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS LS1 View Post
Interesting reading guys...... Mr RCTech, just to clarify one thing..... You are talking about using Coleman camping fuel correct and not charcoal lighter fluid like mentioned above? (assuming charcoal fluid and Coleman camping fuel are not the same thing, are they?)
Yes.

More properly known as naphtha, white gas is a form of petroleum ether that is used for a number of different applications, most notably feedstock for the creation of high octane gasoline products, lighter fluid, stove fuel, etc..
Mr RCTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:37 AM   #28
Tech Master
 
Mr RCTech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,291
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by theagentorange View Post
do you guys do a burnout of any sorts before lining up to get the tires warming up/get any loose compound off?

id love to hear everyones steps
Actually, listing steps for preparing your tires for a race would most likely be useless due to number of different surfaces.

Also, traction compounds used for softening tires may not be used on all four tires or just used on 1/2 of the tires as a tuning aid.

Personally, I start by cleaning all four foam tires first, then apply traction compound
to soften tires as needed.

Helps to use a rag versus a paper towel to wipe of the excess black rubber off, when racing on carpet.
Mr RCTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:01 PM   #29
Tech Fanatic
 
BCbud's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Victoria BC Canada
Posts: 758
Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)
Default

I have been using a 50/50 mix of WD-40 and Kerosene with good results.
__________________
Xray NT1 - Xray T4 2013 TC - Xray T4 2013 VTA - CRCgenX10 - CRCgenX - CRCgenXi - Slash 4X4 with LCG conversion -Associated RC8Be - Xray XB4 - DX3R PRO
Recycled teenager.
www.irocc.ca ; www.corvictoria.com ; http://www.wcics.ca/
I will not send Pay Pal as a gift or add fees to the price so DO NOT ASK!
BCbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:33 PM   #30
Tech Master
 
Mr RCTech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,291
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCbud View Post
I have been using a 50/50 mix of WD-40 and Kerosene with good results.
Do you use this 50/50 mix with rubber tires or foams?

Some off-road racers here are using a similar mix with tire warmers with
great results. So much so that the hobby store has been selling tire warmers like hot cakes!!
Mr RCTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 01:31 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net