R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-23-2005, 10:10 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Default Setup/Alignment Help

Hi all.

I am willing to learn more about setting up the car for different circumstances. I am currently running stock motor with rubber tyres on asphalt. I feel the car is not very responsive when cornering, I am willing to try new setups but really don't know where I should begin.

I want to learn more about Roll Centres, Castor angles and adjusting the suspension mount geometry.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
DORIFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 10:47 PM   #2
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

try this link \
http://home.tiscali.be/be067749/58/

'OL BUZZARD FARMING (lol)
howard hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 07:27 AM   #3
Tech Apprentice

thanks a lot for the link.

very useful stuff!
Old 04-24-2005, 10:02 AM   #4
GRF
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by howard hudson
try this link \
http://home.tiscali.be/be067749/58/
Very interesting link... I learned a lot from it....
GRF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 09:13 PM   #5
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

there I go again !!!! letting out my secrets

glad I could help

'OL BUZZARD FARMING (lol)
howard hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 02:58 AM   #6
Tech Elite

A good steering servo also plays a big role - however, there's no way to buy one out of the setup-job - the setup-job is mandatory.

Also remember, that re-checking camber and toe between each run, is important - hit the boards once, and they are probably out of adjustment
Old 04-25-2005, 06:00 AM   #7
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally posted by howard hudson
there I go again !!!! letting out my secrets

glad I could help
give noobs some chance to learn from the experts!

Cole Trickle> I have installed the KO FET servo in the car, so I think it will be strong enough. You are right about the setup job is mandatory though! Thats why I want to learn more about the setup.

Another question for those with fast servos, what is the preferred EXPO setting for them... I think the car understeers is due to the servo turning too fast and the rear of the car is having a hard time to keep up.
Old 04-25-2005, 06:09 AM   #8
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by DORIFT
Another question for those with fast servos, what is the preferred EXPO setting for them... I think the car understeers is due to the servo turning too fast and the rear of the car is having a hard time to keep up.
I also have a fast servo... never used expo... I mean why get a fast servo, and then downgrade it? It can be usefull in the beginning with a fast servo, but over time, you should speed it up...

Anyway, it's about the balance between front and rear grip. The end of the car which have most grip, will be the one with more control. Try either loosen the rear or increase grip in the front....

A good thumb of rule, is to have quite even setup front versus rear, that is, same tires/inserts front/rear, (almost) same springs/shock oil front rear etc. If you already have this, it might be a matter of castor.

It's important to indentify, HOW your car understeer... is it during turn in, mid corner or turn out? Oh, and by the way, have you checked your steering for binding?
Old 04-25-2005, 06:48 AM   #9
Tech Regular

Hey Dorift! you might remember me, im the guy who runs a pro 4 and drives a dark red caldina wagon to the track in albany

anyway, First off you might want to get a setup system (if you already have one then its all good)

Talk to some of the other guys around the track (not me because i need the same help you are looking for, im having a hard time with a stock motor and rubber tyre setup on my pro 4)
Im sure guys like Ivan Ho and Stephen Li will be more than happy to help you with the setup of your car. there are always the hobby direct guys you could talk too also.
adamkerrnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 07:11 AM   #10
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally posted by Cole Trickle
I also have a fast servo... never used expo... I mean why get a fast servo, and then downgrade it? It can be usefull in the beginning with a fast servo, but over time, you should speed it up...

Anyway, it's about the balance between front and rear grip. The end of the car which have most grip, will be the one with more control. Try either loosen the rear or increase grip in the front....

A good thumb of rule, is to have quite even setup front versus rear, that is, same tires/inserts front/rear, (almost) same springs/shock oil front rear etc. If you already have this, it might be a matter of castor.

It's important to indentify, HOW your car understeer... is it during turn in, mid corner or turn out? Oh, and by the way, have you checked your steering for binding?
Thanks for the input Cole Trickle, most helpful. So far, i have what you described above, same tires/inserts, same spring/oil etc. The problem with the car is I want to make the car "hook" more, I want it to be sharper through the corners as its a bit sluggish at the moment. The understeer occurs during the turn-in at the start of the corner, thus makes cornering sluggish. I have been playing with different castors as well, so far I prefer the standard setup of the 4 degree castor as I found the 2 degree castor makes the car even harder to drive. Maybe need to play around with the roll centre/camber links too?

Adamkerrnz> Hi, I remember you Where did you get the setup system from? I have been trying to locate one with no luck..
Old 04-25-2005, 07:17 AM   #11
Tech Elite

Lower castor shold give you a more aggressive turn in... In which way didnt you like 2 deg.?

Are you running sway bars? If so, try removing the front, or use a softer one up front... Or mount one/ a stiffer one at the rear...

As for roll center, I find angling the camber links improve responsiveness a lot, yet the cars is very stable. This is for a Pro2, stock motor and rubber tires on carpet.
Old 04-25-2005, 07:24 AM   #12
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally posted by Cole Trickle
Lower castor shold give you a more aggressive turn in... In which way didnt you like 2 deg.?
The 2 deg castor seems to be less-responsive compared to the 4 deg castor at initial turn in... The turning radius of the 2 deg castor is larger then the 4 deg. I am running sway bars front and rear. I have heard many people saying 2 deg should give a more aggressive turn-in... but i just can't feel it. Perhaps my rear is set far too sticky, maybe change the rear toe to a lesser amount and also decrease the amount of negative camber on the back?
Old 04-25-2005, 07:30 AM   #13
Tech Elite

Not sure, but it sounds like something is wrong or overlooked somewhere...

Try post your complete setup.

Also, do you have regular access to a setup system of some kind?

What about that stering linkage, are you sure there aint any binding?
Old 05-03-2005, 11:23 PM   #14
Tech Regular

Which car are you having understeering with? we really need complete setup that is on your car now to give any real help.

I have the TRF415 and the
pro4. Really unusual to have lots of understeer with either car.

You are on rubber tires/asphault. If you have wrong tires or worn out tires your car could be perfect and you will not know it! 415 comes with 2 oneways=tons of corner steering off power.

post setup and lets go from there,

did the car develop understeer or understeer when new?
Charles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 07:27 AM   #15
Tech Regular

Could add toe-out at the front, about 1 deg.

Move the front shock upper mounts further out on the tower. (more upright)

Stiffer rear springs, more droop in the rear, lots you can do....
MartynD is offline   Reply With Quote