Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Tamiya TT02 Thread >

Tamiya TT02 Thread

Like Tree875Likes

Tamiya TT02 Thread

Hide Wikipost
Old 01-14-2021, 03:44 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Tamiya TT02 Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: pparrett
TT02 Wiki - Post your setups, upgrades and home grown ideas here for us to read...

TT02 vs the TT-01
http://www.thercracer.com/2013/01/ta...irst-pics.html
New flat chassis layout - Easier to run LiPOs vs the cutouts in the TT-01s
Revised suspension geometry
Support for std spur gears

MODELS ----------------------------------------------------

Changes that follow are in comparison to the basic kit.
TT02 - Base Kit. Friction Dampers.
TT02D - Drift: Drift Tires, Hardened A-Parts, Oil Shocks
TT02R - Race: Rear Alu 3* Toe In Hubs, Alu Propshaft + Cups, CVA oil Dampers
TT02RR - Race+: TT02R + Adjustable Upper Arms, Oil Filled Diffs, Hardened Blue Chassis
TT02S - Type S: TRF416 arms, FRP shock towers, bearings,
TT02SR - TypeS Race: TT02S + Double cardan front drive shafts, rear lightweight universals, Rear sealed oil differential, front spool
TT02B - Buggy. Offroad: CVA Shocks, Double Wishbone long suspension

HOP UPS ----------------------------------------------------

Bearings:
#54476 Ball Bearing Set TT02: 8x 1050, 4x 1280, 4x 1150

Propshaft:
#54501 Alum Propeller Shaft TT02
#54502 Alum Propeller Joint TT02
Tip:
Put a 3mm piece of well greased silicone hose between the dog bone and the shaft of each wheel to reduce slop.

Motor Mount and Gearing:
#54558 TT02 Aluminum Motor Mount
#54500 High Speed Gear Set
#54875 Oil Gear Differential

Steering:
#54550 Low Friction Step Screws
- Full Upgrade Kit -
#54752 Steering Upgrade Kit, Includes all below.
- Individual Parts -
#54574 Aluminum Steering Set
#54575 Aluminum Steering Bridge
#54799 Hi-Torque Servo Saver or #51000 Servo Saver Black
#54248 Aluminum Turnbuckles 3x23
#50797 5mm Short Adjustable Turnbuckle End

Dog Bones to Universal Joints:
- Standard Steel -
#53792 Universal Shaft Assembly (steel), NOTE: Must also use item 54477 on the TT-02
#54477 Gearbox Joint for Universal Shaft (steel) (2pieces)
- Lightweight -
#53506 Blue Aluminum 39mm Swing Shaft
#53499 Wheel axle for assembly universal
#53681 Titanium wheel axle for assemblu universal (but this is very expensive)
#53500 cross joints for universal
#54477 Gearbox Joint for Universal Shaft (2pieces)
Tip: Run steel in the front, Alu is okay for the rear but the front takes a lot of wear and impact from crashes

Shock Options:
#54753 Super-mini CVA Oil Shocks, comes with med black springs
#42102 TRF 55mm Shocks

Chassis:
#54639 Carbon Damper Stay Front
#54640 Carbon Damper Stay Rear
#47339 Hard Lower Deck Blue
#47340 Hard Lower Deck White
#54926 Hard Lower Deck Black
#54733 Aluminum Rear Uprights, Gives 3* rear toe in for extra stability
#54549 Aluminum Rear Uprights, 2.5* Rear Toe In
#58584 Hardened A-Parts, Uprights, Hub Carriers, Diff Covers, etc

SUGGESTED BASE SETUPS ----------------------------------

Bashing:
Build to the kit instructions and have fun!

Asphalt Parking Lot Racing:
Front Diff: 300k-500k (or Tamiya #42247 Gear differential putty)
Rear Diff: 3K oil in the rear diff for low / medium grip, 5k oil in the rear for medium / high grip

Carpet Indoor Racing:
Front Diff: 300k-500k (or Tamiya #42247 Gear differential putty)
Rear Diff: 7k -10k in the rear diff for very high grip carpet.

ADDITIONAL RESOURCES -------------------------------------

TT02 Build and Review here
http://www.thercracer.com/2013/05/ta...nd-review.html

TT02 Tuning and Mods Guide
http://www.thercracer.com/2014/08/ta...-and-tips.html
https://www.rcdriver.com/take-the-versatile-tamiya-tt-02-chassis-to-the-next-level/

Gearing for 17.5t Blinky
http://www.thercracer.com/2013/07/ho...inky-with.html

Print Wikipost

Old 09-20-2022, 12:10 PM
Tech Initiate

Default New to onroad...

Hello all. New to on road RC cars here. Have just built a few cars that I am hoping to get out with this week and drive some. Started at page 200 and read through the last bit of this thread... and will surely do some more looking around and digging for info .
We built 2 cars, to start with they will just be used for fun and for getting out feet wet with onroad driving. One was built from a TT02 AMG kit, the other came from a TT02D Skyline R33 kit. Both were built with bearings, amd a few hop up parts were also used.
I will be back with some questions and details about the cars after having driven them some, looking forward to out TT02 journeys to come.
Initial questions... with the center prop shaft drive cups, came a single black o-ring... not sure what that is for, or what keeps the front prop shaft from moving towards the rear of the car when running... am I missing something here?
the Drift kit came with softer springs, would running those on the rear but swapping the fronts to stiffer springs be better for making laps around a course? I have to do some research and learning about shocks for these cars, especially as the CVA damper kit O bought for the chassis that came with friction shocks seem to be different shocks than the ones that came with the Drift kit... I need to go see if I kept the tag from that package.
one car got 2 degree YR rear uprights, and adjustable steering links, as well as a solid aluminum servo horn. I will probably get the Tamiya steering upgrade kit for the other car...as well as 2 sets of universals and drive cups, and 2 oil filled front diffs. A spring set or 2 might be in order as well...
cars will be running on torque tuned motors,, and for now 24t pinions...
ANY initial help or advice would he most appreciated.
cheers
Old 09-20-2022, 01:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

Yes The oring is needed in the prop shaft. The front prop shaft doesnít have a cross pin to keep it in place.. so it can slide back and forth. I personally use an o ring and also cut the old uerthene pink bushings , half of it to further secure things.

https://www.tamiyausa.com/shop/optio...thane-bushing/
Old 09-21-2022, 05:25 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by BenewahRCTeam View Post
the Drift kit came with softer springs, would running those on the rear but swapping the fronts to stiffer springs be better for making laps around a course? I have to do some research and learning about shocks for these cars, especially as the CVA damper kit O bought for the chassis that came with friction shocks seem to be different shocks than the ones that came with the Drift kit... I need to go see if I kept the tag from that package.
one car got 2 degree YR rear uprights, and adjustable steering links, as well as a solid aluminum servo horn. I will probably get the Tamiya steering upgrade kit for the other car...as well as 2 sets of universals and drive cups, and 2 oil filled front diffs. A spring set or 2 might be in order as well...
cars will be running on torque tuned motors,, and for now 24t pinions...
ANY initial help or advice would he most appreciated.
cheers
O ring goes in one of the prop shaft cup to keep it from moving back and forth, but allowing some movement when the chassis flexes.
If you plan on racing I would check with your local track to see what mods are allowed.
Here in Mt. Joy, PA we have an indoor asphalt track where the TT02 and TT01e are allowed to run. It's basically a box stock build. Bearings, universal joints & cups, and spec tire (USGT). Front aluminum knuckles are allowed to make it more reliable. And that's it, everything else has to be stock build. It's a FUN class because all the cars are equal.
We put sticky grease like Lucas Red & Tacky in the front diff (rear diff is empty) and some in the friction shocks to keep it from getting bouncy.
My TT02 (left) my son's TT01e (right)

Old 09-26-2022, 10:51 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I'm seeing the TT-02R noted as discontinued on some of the hobby shop websites ???
Is it really discontinued or just a back order item??
Old 09-26-2022, 11:10 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

It's not unusual for these special versions to be produced in limited quantities only, so yes, it could be truly gone.
gigaplex likes this.
Old 09-26-2022, 01:15 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by lowspark View Post
I'm seeing the TT-02R noted as discontinued on some of the hobby shop websites ???
Is it really discontinued or just a back order item??
Appears to be the case

https://www.tamiyausa.com/shop/110-4...chassis-kit-2/
Old 10-03-2022, 05:31 AM
Tech Adept

Hi guys.

I am about to put together my TT-02 Type S chassis and have a question concerning the diff's and Tamiya Diff Putty: I will add a small ball of putty in the rear and three balls of putty in the front. But do I need to add lubricant to the diff gears too or does the Diff putty also acts as a lubricant within the diff's?

Thanks.
Old 10-03-2022, 09:01 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

IIRC, the putty is meant to be used for locking the diff, so only for the front. Personally I'd use a liquid filled diff (don't have the part number on hand, though) for the rear.
Rick Vessell and IAmGreatDane like this.
Old 10-03-2022, 10:49 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by DirkW View Post
IIRC, the putty is meant to be used for locking the diff, so only for the front. Personally I'd use a liquid filled diff (don't have the part number on hand, though) for the rear.
Thanks, DW c'',)
Old 10-04-2022, 05:43 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by IAmGreatDane View Post
Hi guys.

I am about to put together my TT-02 Type S chassis and have a question concerning the diff's and Tamiya Diff Putty: I will add a small ball of putty in the rear and three balls of putty in the front. But do I need to add lubricant to the diff gears too or does the Diff putty also acts as a lubricant within the diff's?

Thanks.
Plus I will tell you from experience if you use putty and want to change it later it is a HUGE mess. Also ruined a good pair of double cardans when I tried putty in my TT02. Snapped both sides.
Whereas using diff oil I just stick it on a diff draining tray for 1-2 hours and then spray with cleaner.
Old 10-04-2022, 06:41 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by MikeTKD View Post
Plus I will tell you from experience if you use putty and want to change it later it is a HUGE mess. Also ruined a good pair of double cardans when I tried putty in my TT02. Snapped both sides.
Whereas using diff oil I just stick it on a diff draining tray for 1-2 hours and then spray with cleaner.
Thanks Mike, for the heads up. I am aware of oil diff for the TT-02, but putty is my only option at present. But now, I know what to expect using putty :-)
Old 10-04-2022, 08:26 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by MikeTKD View Post
I run diff locker with double cardan and have never snapped or broken them.. canít see how putty would do that as itís has a lot more give.

Something else causes them to snap.. perhaps wrong size? They were too long?
Qatmix likes this.
Old 10-28-2022, 08:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

TT02 on the juice
Rick Vessell, BullFrog, MD and 7 others like this.
Old 11-01-2022, 12:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Raman View Post
I run diff locker with double cardan and have never snapped or broken them.. canít see how putty would do that as itís has a lot more give.

Something else causes them to snap.. perhaps wrong size? They were too long?

what double cardan did you run? wondering if your running the 39mm ones like i am
Old 11-01-2022, 01:01 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by snopro31 View Post
what double cardan did you run? wondering if your running the 39mm ones like i am
correct, Iím running 39mm.

If you switched to new spool from XV02, you need to run 37mm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.