Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1130Likes

Tamiya TT02 Thread

Hide Wikipost
Old 01-14-2021, 03:44 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Tamiya TT02 Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: pparrett
TT02 Wiki - Post your setups, upgrades and home grown ideas here for us to read...

TT02 vs the TT-01
http://www.thercracer.com/2013/01/ta...irst-pics.html
New flat chassis layout - Easier to run LiPOs vs the cutouts in the TT-01s
Revised suspension geometry
Support for std spur gears

MODELS ----------------------------------------------------

Changes that follow are in comparison to the basic kit.
TT02 - Base Kit. Friction Dampers.
TT02D - Drift: Drift Tires, Hardened A-Parts, Oil Shocks
TT02R - Race: Rear Alu 3* Toe In Hubs, Alu Propshaft + Cups, CVA oil Dampers
TT02RR - Race+: TT02R + Adjustable Upper Arms, Oil Filled Diffs, Hardened Blue Chassis
TT02S - Type S: TRF416 arms, FRP shock towers, bearings,
TT02SR - TypeS Race: TT02S + Double cardan front drive shafts, rear lightweight universals, Rear sealed oil differential, front spool
TT02B - Buggy. Offroad: CVA Shocks, Double Wishbone long suspension

HOP UPS ----------------------------------------------------

Bearings:
#54476 Ball Bearing Set TT02: 8x 1050, 4x 1280, 4x 1150

Propshaft:
#54501 Alum Propeller Shaft TT02
#54502 Alum Propeller Joint TT02
Tip:
Put a 3mm piece of well greased silicone hose between the dog bone and the shaft of each wheel to reduce slop.

Motor Mount and Gearing:
#54558 TT02 Aluminum Motor Mount
#54500 High Speed Gear Set
#54875 Oil Gear Differential

Steering:
#54550 Low Friction Step Screws
- Full Upgrade Kit -
#54752 Steering Upgrade Kit, Includes all below.
- Individual Parts -
#54574 Aluminum Steering Set
#54575 Aluminum Steering Bridge
#54799 Hi-Torque Servo Saver or #51000 Servo Saver Black
#54248 Aluminum Turnbuckles 3x23
#50797 5mm Short Adjustable Turnbuckle End

Dog Bones to Universal Joints:
- Standard Steel -
#53792 Universal Shaft Assembly (steel), NOTE: Must also use item 54477 on the TT-02
#54477 Gearbox Joint for Universal Shaft (steel) (2pieces)
- Lightweight -
#53506 Blue Aluminum 39mm Swing Shaft
#53499 Wheel axle for assembly universal
#53681 Titanium wheel axle for assemblu universal (but this is very expensive)
#53500 cross joints for universal
#54477 Gearbox Joint for Universal Shaft (2pieces)
Tip: Run steel in the front, Alu is okay for the rear but the front takes a lot of wear and impact from crashes

Shock Options:
#54753 Super-mini CVA Oil Shocks, comes with med black springs
#42102 TRF 55mm Shocks

Chassis:
#54639 Carbon Damper Stay Front
#54640 Carbon Damper Stay Rear
#47339 Hard Lower Deck Blue
#47340 Hard Lower Deck White
#54926 Hard Lower Deck Black
#54733 Aluminum Rear Uprights, Gives 3* rear toe in for extra stability
#54549 Aluminum Rear Uprights, 2.5* Rear Toe In
#58584 Hardened A-Parts, Uprights, Hub Carriers, Diff Covers, etc

SUGGESTED BASE SETUPS ----------------------------------

Bashing:
Build to the kit instructions and have fun!

Asphalt Parking Lot Racing:
Front Diff: 300k-500k (or Tamiya #42247 Gear differential putty)
Rear Diff: 3K oil in the rear diff for low / medium grip, 5k oil in the rear for medium / high grip

Carpet Indoor Racing:
Front Diff: 300k-500k (or Tamiya #42247 Gear differential putty)
Rear Diff: 7k -10k in the rear diff for very high grip carpet.

ADDITIONAL RESOURCES -------------------------------------

TT02 Build and Review here
http://www.thercracer.com/2013/05/ta...nd-review.html

TT02 Tuning and Mods Guide
http://www.thercracer.com/2014/08/ta...-and-tips.html
https://www.rcdriver.com/take-the-versatile-tamiya-tt-02-chassis-to-the-next-level/

Gearing for 17.5t Blinky
http://www.thercracer.com/2013/07/ho...inky-with.html

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2022, 07:51 AM
Tech Adept

Finally got a few good snaps of the Carrera at dusk.

OVA, Raman, Qatmix and 2 others like this.
Old 05-26-2022, 09:09 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by GerryH
I'm pretty sure the TBLE-02 comes with the TT02 kits, so it's probably the most common in that class. People have commented that the battery cutoff voltage is too low for lipos because it's calibrated for LiFE batteries. But you can probably run this car on a 5000-6000mah battery for over 30 mins, so it's not an issue when racing.
I'm about to hop on that new Mustang TT-02 they released, need something to putz around in the parking lot. Is the consensus still a 2S lipo? I've been reading the motor gets hot and now the lvc.

I'm also not seeing much of any LiFE batteries anymore.

What's everyone running? Type and mah?

TIA!
Old 05-26-2022, 09:51 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 165 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Evoking1230
I'm about to hop on that new Mustang TT-02 they released, need something to putz around in the parking lot. Is the consensus still a 2S lipo? I've been reading the motor gets hot and now the lvc.

I'm also not seeing much of any LiFE batteries anymore.

What's everyone running? Type and mah?

TIA!
A 2S lipo will be fine and fits perfect and works with the included motor and ESC. You can change the gearing if more speed is needed at a later date inexpensively.

angrymelon and Evoking1230 like this.
Old 05-26-2022, 10:54 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by SteveM
A 2S lipo will be fine and fits perfect and works with the included motor and ESC. You can change the gearing if more speed is needed at a later date inexpensively.
Ooof

What mah you running?
Old 05-26-2022, 11:43 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 165 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Evoking1230
Ooof

What mah you running?
I use Goldbat 2S-5000mah packs with an 80C rating I purchased cheap off Amazon. Each came with the charge lead, a Traxxas adapter, and a Velcro strap. I've used these in all my R/C cars and they've been extremely reliable and zero issues. No puffing either.

Evoking1230 likes this.
Old 05-27-2022, 10:14 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by SteveM
I use Goldbat 2S-5000mah packs with an 80C rating I purchased cheap off Amazon. Each came with the charge lead, a Traxxas adapter, and a Velcro strap. I've used these in all my R/C cars and they've been extremely reliable and zero issues. No puffing either.

sweet, thanks for that. The wife will appreciate the lower cost of this build
Old 06-02-2022, 05:42 AM
Tech Adept

I've been working on the prototype splitter and diffuser for the 911 RSR body. Second prototype of the splitter and first prototype of the diffuser. Had to come up with a mounting system for the diffuser that allows the use of the rear bumper assembly, as I use the bumper mounted body posts all the way around. The mounting system came out excellent, and with a few more added tweaks it should work perfectly!

Here is a couple preview pics. I need to tweak the diffuser to come down a little more to be about flush with the bottom of the body. And I may add a slight curve on the splitter to more match the curve of the nose in the center.

Splitter

Diffuser

This stuff will be posted up soon once I finalize the designs.

As a reminder, My 3D print files are free and you can find them here: https://www.thingiverse.com/rc_perspective/designs

PS - Sorry for the poor photo quality. My Pixel 3XL bricked randomly overnight a couple weeks ago and I've had to downgrade as I don't have the funds to get another Pixel. This new phone has a "pro" camera mode, which is sadly more miss than hit.
Qatmix likes this.
Old 06-02-2022, 04:40 PM
Tech Adept

[QUOTE=Qatmix;11835527]The thing is its designed to be what it is with the expertise of one of the leading RC brands in the business. Its an all round chassis that will be a great base to start with in Onroad RC. It can race, drift and rally and most importantly, it will be reliable and strong. Its not going to compete with a sakura S or Spec-R S1, but out of all of the 3 chassis, the TT02 would be the last one to break.

Case in point to the ruggedness and price point: the TT02T.
The TT02T, Tamiya p/n 58608, was just a stadium truck body and larger off-road wheels bolted onto a TT02 chassis.
Long since sold out and now discontinued.

Last edited by F1jet_; 06-02-2022 at 04:58 PM.
Old 06-02-2022, 04:50 PM
Tech Adept

Default .

[QUOTE=F1jet_;15909192]
Originally Posted by Qatmix
The thing is its designed to be what it is with the expertise of one of the leading RC brands in the business. Its an all round chassis that will be a great base to start with in Onroad RC. It can race, drift and rally and most importantly, it will be reliable and strong. Its not going to compete with a sakura S or Spec-R S1, but out of all of the 3 chassis, the TT02 would be the last one to break.

The TT02T, Tamiya p/n 58608, was just a stadium truck body and larger off-road wheels bolted onto a TT02 chassis.

And Tamiya did this before - the TA02T was an inexpensive tub with pickup bodies, big wheels and tires.
It was designed for the backyard Baja 500 and was cheap and fun to drive.
Old 06-02-2022, 04:56 PM
Tech Adept

Default .

[QUOTE=F1jet_;15909192]
Originally Posted by Qatmix
The thing is its designed to be what it is with the expertise of one of the leading RC brands in the business. Its an all round chassis that will be a great base to start with in Onroad RC. It can race, drift and rally and most importantly, it will be reliable and strong. Its not going to compete with a sakura S or Spec-R S1, but out of all of the 3 chassis, the TT02 would be the last one to break.

And Tamiya did this before - the TA02T? Released in 1994! An inexpensive tub with pickup bodies, big wheels and tires.
It was designed for the backyard Baja 500 and was cheap and fun to drive.
Old 06-06-2022, 06:01 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TurboThirdGen
I've been working on the prototype splitter and diffuser for the 911 RSR body. Second prototype of the splitter and first prototype of the diffuser. Had to come up with a mounting system for the diffuser that allows the use of the rear bumper assembly, as I use the bumper mounted body posts all the way around. The mounting system came out excellent, and with a few more added tweaks it should work perfectly!

Here is a couple preview pics. I need to tweak the diffuser to come down a little more to be about flush with the bottom of the body. And I may add a slight curve on the splitter to more match the curve of the nose in the center.

Splitter

Diffuser

This stuff will be posted up soon once I finalize the designs.

As a reminder, My 3D print files are free and you can find them here: https://www.thingiverse.com/rc_perspective/designs

PS - Sorry for the poor photo quality. My Pixel 3XL bricked randomly overnight a couple weeks ago and I've had to downgrade as I don't have the funds to get another Pixel. This new phone has a "pro" camera mode, which is sadly more miss than hit.

Beautiful! i'll be printing them up for sure! thanks
Old 06-07-2022, 05:22 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Monsta
Beautiful! i'll be printing them up for sure! thanks
I've mad a few small tweaks to the splitter, and have been playing around with the mounting system for the rear diffuser. Look for an upload in the next few days!

Question for those running the 911 RSR Carrera body; What is your body height in relation to the chassis? Is it close to the bottom of the chassis or just above by a few mm?
I'm asking cause currently I have the splitter height right up against the bottom of the front bumper assembly with no spacing. I figure most of you have the body about the same height, but just want to make sure. There is no way to go higher with the splitter, but it can go lower.

I have added a slight curve to the front of the splitter to help it flow better with the curve of the front bumper.

And I have modified the mounting height of the rear diffuser. The diffuser will take a little more tweaking to make sure it fits well and doesn't bind on the back of the body like it currently does.

As you can see, in line with the diffuser I made for the 1991 Audi V8, I've been building the diffusers with a spot to mount exhaust pipes on it instead of the body. Which not only seems to look more authentic, but also alleviates figuring out how to mount it to the body. Though its not terribly difficult at all, cause I've done it too.

-RC Perspective

Let me know how you like the changes to the splitter! And feedback is also welcome for the diffuser!
Old 06-07-2022, 05:27 AM
Tech Adept

Also, Is it OK to post links to my build threads on Tamiyaclub? I figured I'd throw my build threads on there first. I will eventually add them here, but I've been building them up over there first.
Old 06-07-2022, 05:32 PM
Tech Adept

ill try to get a measurement tonight, but this is the height i race at.
Old 06-10-2022, 08:56 PM
Tech Adept

Hey TurboThirdGen, The bottom of the body is the same height as the chassis!

Also, i cant see the diffuser on Thingiverse. could you please give the link directly for it?

Cheers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.