Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Tamiya TT02 Thread >

Tamiya TT02 Thread

Like Tree877Likes

Tamiya TT02 Thread

Hide Wikipost
Old 01-14-2021, 03:44 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Tamiya TT02 Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: pparrett
TT02 Wiki - Post your setups, upgrades and home grown ideas here for us to read...

TT02 vs the TT-01
http://www.thercracer.com/2013/01/ta...irst-pics.html
New flat chassis layout - Easier to run LiPOs vs the cutouts in the TT-01s
Revised suspension geometry
Support for std spur gears

MODELS ----------------------------------------------------

Changes that follow are in comparison to the basic kit.
TT02 - Base Kit. Friction Dampers.
TT02D - Drift: Drift Tires, Hardened A-Parts, Oil Shocks
TT02R - Race: Rear Alu 3* Toe In Hubs, Alu Propshaft + Cups, CVA oil Dampers
TT02RR - Race+: TT02R + Adjustable Upper Arms, Oil Filled Diffs, Hardened Blue Chassis
TT02S - Type S: TRF416 arms, FRP shock towers, bearings,
TT02SR - TypeS Race: TT02S + Double cardan front drive shafts, rear lightweight universals, Rear sealed oil differential, front spool
TT02B - Buggy. Offroad: CVA Shocks, Double Wishbone long suspension

HOP UPS ----------------------------------------------------

Bearings:
#54476 Ball Bearing Set TT02: 8x 1050, 4x 1280, 4x 1150

Propshaft:
#54501 Alum Propeller Shaft TT02
#54502 Alum Propeller Joint TT02
Tip:
Put a 3mm piece of well greased silicone hose between the dog bone and the shaft of each wheel to reduce slop.

Motor Mount and Gearing:
#54558 TT02 Aluminum Motor Mount
#54500 High Speed Gear Set
#54875 Oil Gear Differential

Steering:
#54550 Low Friction Step Screws
- Full Upgrade Kit -
#54752 Steering Upgrade Kit, Includes all below.
- Individual Parts -
#54574 Aluminum Steering Set
#54575 Aluminum Steering Bridge
#54799 Hi-Torque Servo Saver or #51000 Servo Saver Black
#54248 Aluminum Turnbuckles 3x23
#50797 5mm Short Adjustable Turnbuckle End

Dog Bones to Universal Joints:
- Standard Steel -
#53792 Universal Shaft Assembly (steel), NOTE: Must also use item 54477 on the TT-02
#54477 Gearbox Joint for Universal Shaft (steel) (2pieces)
- Lightweight -
#53506 Blue Aluminum 39mm Swing Shaft
#53499 Wheel axle for assembly universal
#53681 Titanium wheel axle for assemblu universal (but this is very expensive)
#53500 cross joints for universal
#54477 Gearbox Joint for Universal Shaft (2pieces)
Tip: Run steel in the front, Alu is okay for the rear but the front takes a lot of wear and impact from crashes

Shock Options:
#54753 Super-mini CVA Oil Shocks, comes with med black springs
#42102 TRF 55mm Shocks

Chassis:
#54639 Carbon Damper Stay Front
#54640 Carbon Damper Stay Rear
#47339 Hard Lower Deck Blue
#47340 Hard Lower Deck White
#54926 Hard Lower Deck Black
#54733 Aluminum Rear Uprights, Gives 3* rear toe in for extra stability
#54549 Aluminum Rear Uprights, 2.5* Rear Toe In
#58584 Hardened A-Parts, Uprights, Hub Carriers, Diff Covers, etc

SUGGESTED BASE SETUPS ----------------------------------

Bashing:
Build to the kit instructions and have fun!

Asphalt Parking Lot Racing:
Front Diff: 300k-500k (or Tamiya #42247 Gear differential putty)
Rear Diff: 3K oil in the rear diff for low / medium grip, 5k oil in the rear for medium / high grip

Carpet Indoor Racing:
Front Diff: 300k-500k (or Tamiya #42247 Gear differential putty)
Rear Diff: 7k -10k in the rear diff for very high grip carpet.

ADDITIONAL RESOURCES -------------------------------------

TT02 Build and Review here
http://www.thercracer.com/2013/05/ta...nd-review.html

TT02 Tuning and Mods Guide
http://www.thercracer.com/2014/08/ta...-and-tips.html
https://www.rcdriver.com/take-the-versatile-tamiya-tt-02-chassis-to-the-next-level/

Gearing for 17.5t Blinky
http://www.thercracer.com/2013/07/ho...inky-with.html

Print Wikipost

Old 04-25-2022, 09:14 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Vertebreaker View Post
That looks pretty clean. Nice work.
Thanks man! The diffusers and side skirts took a bit of work to get right, But calipers made things easier at least.
Old 04-27-2022, 07:54 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I was just wondering if anybody knew what hop up items are included in the TT-02R kit that aren't in the TT-02SR. When I saw the SR kit I noticed it didn't have the aluminum drive shaft and was wondering if there where other items like that, that were missing.
Old 04-27-2022, 10:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)

I was just wondering if anybody knew what hop up items are included in the TT-02R kit that aren't in the TT-02SR. When I saw the SR kit I noticed it didn't have the aluminum drive shaft and was wondering if there where other items like that, that were missing.
R/RR different kits than S/SR. The R/RR user the traditional TT02 arms which are upper and lower arms. The S/SR use touring car arms that use C hubs and camber links.

The R/RR seem to come with more aluminium hop ups than the S/SR
IndyRC_Racer likes this.
Old 04-27-2022, 11:41 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Raman View Post
R/RR different kits than S/SR. The R/RR user the traditional TT02 arms which are upper and lower arms. The S/SR use touring car arms that use C hubs and camber links.

The R/RR seem to come with more aluminium hop ups than the S/SR
Thanks for the reply but I was just wondering if their are any other parts that come in the R kit like the aluminum drive shaft that aren't in the SR version? It was just weird that the SR comes with the standard plastic drive shaft. You would think that the SR would have everything the R has plus more.
Old 04-27-2022, 01:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Here is a good web article that discusses the differences between the on-road versions of TT02 vehicles. This article doesn't talk about the TT02B or TT02T
https://www.thercracer.com/2014/08/t...-and-tips.html

There are also reviews of many different Tamiya vehicles including the different versions of TT02. These articles included some suggested hop-ups and upgrades.

As to the why Tamiya releases different versions of their vehicles like they do, I am not sure. I have read some good explanations online before but can't find one right now. Maybe someone can post an explanation or a link in this thread.
Vertebreaker likes this.
Old 04-27-2022, 01:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

We just started up a new class at the club I race at - a tamiya spec class. You guys have any recommendations, or am I fine with just picking a TT02 off the hobby store shelf?
Old 04-27-2022, 01:53 PM
Tech Elite

Depends to the class rules and what’s allowed. Are the following TCS ProSpec? Box stock?
Old 04-27-2022, 01:53 PM
Tech Elite

Thanks for the reply but I was just wondering if their are any other parts that come in the R kit like the aluminum drive shaft that aren't in the SR version? It was just weird that the SR comes with the standard plastic drive shaft. You would think that the SR would have everything the R has plus more.
I stopped trying to put logic to what Tamiya does ages ago 😂
Old 04-27-2022, 02:06 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Raman View Post
Depends to the class rules and what’s allowed. Are the following TCS ProSpec? Box stock?
Has to be out of the box, and can just run the Reedy 21.5 silvercan equivalent.
Old 04-27-2022, 03:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

A box stock spec motor class will benefit smooth drivers who don't make mistakes.

One thing to consider though is the body. A lower body will offer a little performance advantage or over a taller body. Also a body that includes a racing rear wing may offer a little more rear stability since the base TT-02 kits don't have adjustable rear toe-in or camber.

Tamiya 58639-a comes with a Mercedes AMG GT body and is a bit lower than a Tamiya 58699-a that only comes with a small rear spoiler.

The other thing to consider is what speed control is included with the kit (if any). Some of the kits include a Tamiya ESC that can run brushless and brushed motors. Some of the newer Tamiya TT-02 kits include a HobbyWing 1060 brushed only speed control.
Old 04-27-2022, 05:00 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Sabin View Post
Has to be out of the box, and can just run the Reedy 21.5 silvercan equivalent.
2 weeks ago for TCS, my son ran his Spec Novice with kit torque tune in ProSpec with us for qualifiers, since the other novice were no show for first day.

Anyhow, we all ran 64/29 gearing and my sons spec novice set fastest lap. 🤣 he had more top end than our brushless

So stick with the kit torque tuned silver can. It has more toque and better top end than the reedy 21.5. Plus the Reedy is sold out.
Rick Vessell and IndyRC_Racer like this.
Old 04-27-2022, 07:22 PM
Tech Apprentice

We just started up a new class at the club I race at - a tamiya spec class. You guys have any recommendations, or am I fine with just picking a TT02 off the hobby store shelf?
Before you buy anything find out exactly what the rules are. Each club is going to have some variations to what is allowed and what's not. I ran the TT02 spec class this past season at my local track. Our indoor carpet track is fairly small so we all had to run a Holmes Hobbies 27T crawler motor, 25T pinion with the 70T spur, a set of Gravity Tires. The upgrades that were allowed were ball bearings, the aluminum drive shaft, CVA plastic shocks w/ all 4 of the same stock springs, aluminum motor mount, Tamiya servo saver and metal dogbones and possibly the cva's but I'm not sure. We had to keep the front diff fairly free and couldn't pack it, and we could run whatever normal car or truck body we wanted but no touring car bodies and we couldn't modify the chassis anyway (like dremeling holes and stuff like that. I had a bought a TT02R since I already had a body and it came out cheaper with the upgrades it has, but due to the rules I couldn't use the the aluminum rear 3 degree hubs or the highspeed gear set. It sucks getting stuff setup and then having to go back and replace parts because they aren't allowed and then retune again.
Old 04-27-2022, 07:28 PM
OVA
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Hi
You just left out fhe TT02RR was for sale , my TT02RR is pretty dam near new . I only ran once on carpet..
Dave Lima knew about the TT02RR was for sell
sorry I sold the car last sunday

Last edited by OVA; 04-27-2022 at 07:42 PM.
Old 04-27-2022, 10:13 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by OVA View Post
Hi
You just left out fhe TT02RR was for sale , my TT02RR is pretty dam near new . I only ran once on carpet..
Dave Lima knew about the TT02RR was for sell
sorry I sold the car last sunday
Heh! That was the one we talked about right? Wasn't able to at the moment, money is tight. Had a feeling it would be gone by now.
OVA likes this.
Old 04-28-2022, 02:29 PM
Tech Elite

Before you buy anything find out exactly what the rules are. Each club is going to have some variations to what is allowed and what's not. I ran the TT02 spec class this past season at my local track. Our indoor carpet track is fairly small so we all had to run a Holmes Hobbies 27T crawler motor, 25T pinion with the 70T spur, a set of Gravity Tires. The upgrades that were allowed were ball bearings, the aluminum drive shaft, CVA plastic shocks w/ all 4 of the same stock springs, aluminum motor mount, Tamiya servo saver and metal dogbones and possibly the cva's but I'm not sure. We had to keep the front diff fairly free and couldn't pack it, and we could run whatever normal car or truck body we wanted but no touring car bodies and we couldn't modify the chassis anyway (like dremeling holes and stuff like that. I had a bought a TT02R since I already had a body and it came out cheaper with the upgrades it has, but due to the rules I couldn't use the the aluminum rear 3 degree hubs or the highspeed gear set. It sucks getting stuff setup and then having to go back and replace parts because they aren't allowed and then retune again.
So you allowed non Tamiya bodies, so long as they were non TC?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.