Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1123Likes

Tamiya TT02 Thread

Hide Wikipost
Old 01-14-2021, 03:44 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Tamiya TT02 Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: pparrett
TT02 Wiki - Post your setups, upgrades and home grown ideas here for us to read...

TT02 vs the TT-01
http://www.thercracer.com/2013/01/ta...irst-pics.html
New flat chassis layout - Easier to run LiPOs vs the cutouts in the TT-01s
Revised suspension geometry
Support for std spur gears

MODELS ----------------------------------------------------

Changes that follow are in comparison to the basic kit.
TT02 - Base Kit. Friction Dampers.
TT02D - Drift: Drift Tires, Hardened A-Parts, Oil Shocks
TT02R - Race: Rear Alu 3* Toe In Hubs, Alu Propshaft + Cups, CVA oil Dampers
TT02RR - Race+: TT02R + Adjustable Upper Arms, Oil Filled Diffs, Hardened Blue Chassis
TT02S - Type S: TRF416 arms, FRP shock towers, bearings,
TT02SR - TypeS Race: TT02S + Double cardan front drive shafts, rear lightweight universals, Rear sealed oil differential, front spool
TT02B - Buggy. Offroad: CVA Shocks, Double Wishbone long suspension

HOP UPS ----------------------------------------------------

Bearings:
#54476 Ball Bearing Set TT02: 8x 1050, 4x 1280, 4x 1150

Propshaft:
#54501 Alum Propeller Shaft TT02
#54502 Alum Propeller Joint TT02
Tip:
Put a 3mm piece of well greased silicone hose between the dog bone and the shaft of each wheel to reduce slop.

Motor Mount and Gearing:
#54558 TT02 Aluminum Motor Mount
#54500 High Speed Gear Set
#54875 Oil Gear Differential

Steering:
#54550 Low Friction Step Screws
- Full Upgrade Kit -
#54752 Steering Upgrade Kit, Includes all below.
- Individual Parts -
#54574 Aluminum Steering Set
#54575 Aluminum Steering Bridge
#54799 Hi-Torque Servo Saver or #51000 Servo Saver Black
#54248 Aluminum Turnbuckles 3x23
#50797 5mm Short Adjustable Turnbuckle End

Dog Bones to Universal Joints:
- Standard Steel -
#53792 Universal Shaft Assembly (steel), NOTE: Must also use item 54477 on the TT-02
#54477 Gearbox Joint for Universal Shaft (steel) (2pieces)
- Lightweight -
#53506 Blue Aluminum 39mm Swing Shaft
#53499 Wheel axle for assembly universal
#53681 Titanium wheel axle for assemblu universal (but this is very expensive)
#53500 cross joints for universal
#54477 Gearbox Joint for Universal Shaft (2pieces)
Tip: Run steel in the front, Alu is okay for the rear but the front takes a lot of wear and impact from crashes

Shock Options:
#54753 Super-mini CVA Oil Shocks, comes with med black springs
#42102 TRF 55mm Shocks

Chassis:
#54639 Carbon Damper Stay Front
#54640 Carbon Damper Stay Rear
#47339 Hard Lower Deck Blue
#47340 Hard Lower Deck White
#54926 Hard Lower Deck Black
#54733 Aluminum Rear Uprights, Gives 3* rear toe in for extra stability
#54549 Aluminum Rear Uprights, 2.5* Rear Toe In
#58584 Hardened A-Parts, Uprights, Hub Carriers, Diff Covers, etc

SUGGESTED BASE SETUPS ----------------------------------

Bashing:
Build to the kit instructions and have fun!

Asphalt Parking Lot Racing:
Front Diff: 300k-500k (or Tamiya #42247 Gear differential putty)
Rear Diff: 3K oil in the rear diff for low / medium grip, 5k oil in the rear for medium / high grip

Carpet Indoor Racing:
Front Diff: 300k-500k (or Tamiya #42247 Gear differential putty)
Rear Diff: 7k -10k in the rear diff for very high grip carpet.

ADDITIONAL RESOURCES -------------------------------------

TT02 Build and Review here
http://www.thercracer.com/2013/05/ta...nd-review.html

TT02 Tuning and Mods Guide
http://www.thercracer.com/2014/08/ta...-and-tips.html
https://www.rcdriver.com/take-the-versatile-tamiya-tt-02-chassis-to-the-next-level/

Gearing for 17.5t Blinky
http://www.thercracer.com/2013/07/ho...inky-with.html

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2022, 02:46 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Is anyone sitting on an extra diff + input gear or a full set of the G parts? Can't seem to find anything that isn't shipping outta HK, and I'd rather not wait that long.

Last edited by bentouttashape; 02-16-2022 at 03:20 PM.
Old 02-17-2022, 02:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

You can buy parts directly from TamiyaUSA.com. Free ground shipping on orders over $50+ USD. If you need it faster, you should contact them over the phone to make other shipping arrangements (that will most likely cost more). Here is a link...
https://www.tamiyausa.com/shop/spare...-tt02-g-parts/

Amazon also has this part listed from a seller in London UK...
Amazon Amazon
Old 02-18-2022, 09:31 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by IndyRC_Racer
You can buy parts directly from TamiyaUSA.com. Free ground shipping on orders over $50+ USD. If you need it faster, you should contact them over the phone to make other shipping arrangements (that will most likely cost more). Here is a link...
https://www.tamiyausa.com/shop/spare...-tt02-g-parts/

Amazon also has this part listed from a seller in London UK...
https://www.amazon.com/Tamiya-spare-...5134965&sr=8-1
I've placed a few orders through there, and they seem to take forever to process and ship. I would likely receive parts ordered from HK first. I ended up ordering the YR sealed diff instead, so the point is moot now. But thank you for the reply.
Old 02-18-2022, 10:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Yup, Last TamiyaUSA order seemed to take longer to notify me that it had been shipped/proccessed. On the other hand my orders have been well packaged when I do get them.
Old 02-18-2022, 11:17 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Originally Posted by IndyRC_Racer
Yup, Last TamiyaUSA order seemed to take longer to notify me that it had been shipped/proccessed. On the other hand my orders have been well packaged when I do get them.
Last 5 orders, I receive them and 2 days later arrives the ship notification from Tamiya warehouse. It’s a new covid functionality they have added 😂
Old 02-18-2022, 03:01 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Raman
Last 5 orders, I receive them and 2 days later arrives the ship notification from Tamiya warehouse. It’s a new covid functionality they have added 😂
It's called "time travel"...your shipping notifications were sent to the future. 'Marty says "You're welcome".

On a separate, sorta-kinda semi-related, note ("semi-related", because it has to do with Tamiya), while I greatly enjoy the two TT-02s I've built (one completely stock, the other to racing spec), I'm looking for my next Tamiya kit...and, I could really use some input from those shove built different Tamiya kits.

What I'm looking-for/interested-in is something complex & time consuming. I'm on a long-term assignment hours away from home, living/based out of a hotel (driving nurses for FEMA). Originally, or was supposed to only be a 5 week assignment, through the end of February. However, I just found out yesterday that the FEMA contract has a strong possibility of being extended to and if could be in Fresno until the end of March.

The actual driving portion is only in the mornings & evenings, leaving me with 9-10 hours every day (yes, I'm working 7 days/week, for 9 consecutive weeks) of my 'own' time...and, I'm not the type of person to sit around all day binge-watching movies & TV shows. At the same time, I can't exactly drive anyplace I want...few places have parking for a 46 foot, 56-passenger, motorcoach. This is why, when driving into town, I came up with the idea of building a few RC kits while I was on assignment (I was smart enough to bring my tools, and other building 'accessories' with me). Since I arrived, I've almost finished building an IFS-converted Element Enduro Gatekeeper, and an Associated B74.1...and, am now looking for 1-2 kits to "hold me over" for the next 5 weeks.

I've decided that, of I get 2 kits, one of them should be another Tamiya (and, if I only get one more kit, it might still be a Tamiya). The problem/question is, "which?" This is where all of those reading this come into play. Sooner, or later, I WILL get a tank...but, I can't afford to spend that much right now. Whether I get 1 kit, or 2, I want the total (pre-tax/shipping) cost to be less than $600. The longer and/or more complicated the build, the better. I'm open to (almost) any suggestions/recommendations. A pre-cut pre-painted body would be considered a huge "plus" (that way, I could truly complete the build before heading home in a little over a month).

I'm open to (almost) anything. A big-rig is a possibility, as is a drift car. Maybe a 'tall' truck (Hilux, Tundra, etc), or a "high-end" buggy (ie. Super Avanta, Top Force Evo, etc). So...what suggestions/recommendations have y'all got?

Last edited by Panther6834; 02-18-2022 at 03:45 PM.
Old 02-18-2022, 03:29 PM
Tech Regular

You know what, I take back what I said about TamiyaUSA. The order I placed on 2/11 showed up just now. I just didn't receive any advanced shipping notification. It simply says "sent to warehouse" as the order status. This happened with my last order too, but I thought that order took much longer to arrive. I double checked the timeframe, and that was just over a week between order and delivery. Must have been a long week mentally...
Old 02-19-2022, 02:44 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Panther6834
I'm open to (almost) anything. A big-rig is a possibility, as is a drift car. Maybe a 'tall' truck (Hilux, Tundra, etc), or a "high-end" buggy (ie. Super Avanta, Top Force Evo, etc). So...what suggestions/recommendations have y'all got?
If your into Tamiya then the Super Avante is a very interesting build, and I really enjoyed the CC-02 as well - I believe both are available pre-painted.
Old 02-19-2022, 08:40 AM
Tech Champion

Panther6834

For complicated a time consuming, definitely one of the trucks, bruiser, highlift etc.. but they’re pricey. Next, Avante / Egress are very unique as well. Also look at Kyosho Optima / Turbo Optima.. 30+ year old belt / chain drive design is a fun build and fairly intricate.
Old 02-19-2022, 10:38 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by BuggyFan21
If your into Tamiya then the Super Avante is a very interesting build, and I really enjoyed the CC-02 as well - I believe both are available pre-painted.
I was looking at the Super Avante (as well as the Top Force Evo), and an checking out the CC-02 right now. While I like the (somewhat) "complexity" of the Super Avante, I'm not so keen on the pre-painted colors. As for the CC-02, I'm actually liking it more than I thought I would...plus, they're are a few pre-painted options (Unimog, G500, Land Rover 90). Too bad the Hilux version is not available as a kit - body only, and unpainted. I like the blue Defender 90...unfortunately, it won't be shipping until "sometime" between March & June (based on info from multiple sites). While it won't 'work' for right this moment, I will DEFINITELY keep it in mind for the future (I REALLY like that blue)...as in, there's a 90+% chance I'll get one.

Panther6834

For complicated a time consuming, definitely one of the trucks, bruiser, highlift etc.. but they’re pricey. Next, Avante / Egress are very unique as well. Also look at Kyosho Optima / Turbo Optima.. 30+ year old belt / chain drive design is a fun build and fairly intricate.
As BuggyFan21 also suggested...and, as I also replied (above), I am considering the Super Avante...but, not-so-sure about the yellow-blue pre-painted body. Just curious, but, does anyone know if the non-pre-painted body is pre-cut? I did check out the Turbo Optima, and I was liking it...except for a few "problems". ESPECIALLY the chain drive...they shouldn't fever to that as 'vintage'...more like 'archaic'...lol
You've both given me a few ideas to consider. I'd say there's a high probability I'll get the blue CC-02 Defender 90, once released...and, I'm also considering the Avente Black Special Edition (less likely that I'll get, but also not released yet). Another "oddity" that just came to mind...getting the CC-02 Unimog, and adding a couple of the Track Unit Sets, turning it into a "snow rescue" vehicle. I like "oddities"...I was one of, if not THE...first people/person to build a 4WS Axial Capra, and I recently built (from the Builder's Kit) an Element Gatekeeper using the IFS Conversion Kit.
Old 02-19-2022, 02:34 PM
Tech Champion

Optima can be built as a chain or belt drive. It includes both. I believe the body is pre-cut. Also you can paint the body a single colour and the decals will create the box art, if that’s what your going for.
Old 02-19-2022, 03:22 PM
Tech Addict

Optima can be built as a chain or belt drive. It includes both. I believe the body is pre-cut. Also you can paint the body a single colour and the decals will create the box art, if that’s what your going for.
I just double-checked...and (of course) you're right. The only "problem" is that I'd be afraid to scratch up the bottom of that gorgeous gold chassis. Of course, I could always give the buggy a Las Vegas Golden Knights theme, and give it to my step-dad.
Old 02-28-2022, 03:12 PM
Tech Addict

First, thank you to those who 'entertained' my "Tamiya talk" having to do with non-TT02 stuff. In the end, I decided to go with the TD4 Super Avante, plus a host of Hop-Up parts. As for any thoughts of building one of the Tamiya Semi Truck kits, I'm now in communication with Joe, from "Semi Joe's R/C Truck Shop", about working up a list of parts to build a completely custom (and VERY scale) Knight Hauler...which I am fully expecting will take at least 2 years to finish. Getting back to the TT-02, turns out it has a connection to the TD4 - they both use the same Hop-Up shocks - 54993.
jgil089 likes this.
Old 03-01-2022, 12:58 PM
Tech Apprentice

I won Tamiya’s instagram giveway and got a brand new TT02 I’m looking to race in blinky 21.5 class and TCS 2022 pro spec with it.

What are some recommended modifications/hop-ups that aren’t in the TCS rules but are important to have in order to be competitive?

also I’m looking for a TT02 Type-S if anyone is looking to sell theirs.
TurboThirdGen likes this.
Old 03-01-2022, 04:16 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Autostrada048
I won Tamiya’s instagram giveway and got a brand new TT02 I’m looking to race in blinky 21.5 class and TCS 2022 pro spec with it.

What are some recommended modifications/hop-ups that aren’t in the TCS rules but are important to have in order to be competitive?

also I’m looking for a TT02 Type-S if anyone is looking to sell theirs.
TCS rules are pretty class specific. ProSpec.. you can use any TT02 hop up (non from S/SR), with the exception of
1. aluminium shocks
2. carbon shock towers
3. Diff lock for front

Check the parts list for the TT02 R and RR.. those are all you need for ProScpec

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.