Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Tamiya TT02 Thread >

Tamiya TT02 Thread

Like Tree896Likes

Tamiya TT02 Thread

Hide Wikipost
Old 01-14-2021, 03:44 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Tamiya TT02 Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: pparrett
TT02 Wiki - Post your setups, upgrades and home grown ideas here for us to read...

TT02 vs the TT-01
http://www.thercracer.com/2013/01/ta...irst-pics.html
New flat chassis layout - Easier to run LiPOs vs the cutouts in the TT-01s
Revised suspension geometry
Support for std spur gears

MODELS ----------------------------------------------------

Changes that follow are in comparison to the basic kit.
TT02 - Base Kit. Friction Dampers.
TT02D - Drift: Drift Tires, Hardened A-Parts, Oil Shocks
TT02R - Race: Rear Alu 3* Toe In Hubs, Alu Propshaft + Cups, CVA oil Dampers
TT02RR - Race+: TT02R + Adjustable Upper Arms, Oil Filled Diffs, Hardened Blue Chassis
TT02S - Type S: TRF416 arms, FRP shock towers, bearings,
TT02SR - TypeS Race: TT02S + Double cardan front drive shafts, rear lightweight universals, Rear sealed oil differential, front spool
TT02B - Buggy. Offroad: CVA Shocks, Double Wishbone long suspension

HOP UPS ----------------------------------------------------

Bearings:
#54476 Ball Bearing Set TT02: 8x 1050, 4x 1280, 4x 1150

Propshaft:
#54501 Alum Propeller Shaft TT02
#54502 Alum Propeller Joint TT02
Tip:
Put a 3mm piece of well greased silicone hose between the dog bone and the shaft of each wheel to reduce slop.

Motor Mount and Gearing:
#54558 TT02 Aluminum Motor Mount
#54500 High Speed Gear Set
#54875 Oil Gear Differential

Steering:
#54550 Low Friction Step Screws
- Full Upgrade Kit -
#54752 Steering Upgrade Kit, Includes all below.
- Individual Parts -
#54574 Aluminum Steering Set
#54575 Aluminum Steering Bridge
#54799 Hi-Torque Servo Saver or #51000 Servo Saver Black
#54248 Aluminum Turnbuckles 3x23
#50797 5mm Short Adjustable Turnbuckle End

Dog Bones to Universal Joints:
- Standard Steel -
#53792 Universal Shaft Assembly (steel), NOTE: Must also use item 54477 on the TT-02
#54477 Gearbox Joint for Universal Shaft (steel) (2pieces)
- Lightweight -
#53506 Blue Aluminum 39mm Swing Shaft
#53499 Wheel axle for assembly universal
#53681 Titanium wheel axle for assemblu universal (but this is very expensive)
#53500 cross joints for universal
#54477 Gearbox Joint for Universal Shaft (2pieces)
Tip: Run steel in the front, Alu is okay for the rear but the front takes a lot of wear and impact from crashes

Shock Options:
#54753 Super-mini CVA Oil Shocks, comes with med black springs
#42102 TRF 55mm Shocks

Chassis:
#54639 Carbon Damper Stay Front
#54640 Carbon Damper Stay Rear
#47339 Hard Lower Deck Blue
#47340 Hard Lower Deck White
#54926 Hard Lower Deck Black
#54733 Aluminum Rear Uprights, Gives 3* rear toe in for extra stability
#54549 Aluminum Rear Uprights, 2.5* Rear Toe In
#58584 Hardened A-Parts, Uprights, Hub Carriers, Diff Covers, etc

SUGGESTED BASE SETUPS ----------------------------------

Bashing:
Build to the kit instructions and have fun!

Asphalt Parking Lot Racing:
Front Diff: 300k-500k (or Tamiya #42247 Gear differential putty)
Rear Diff: 3K oil in the rear diff for low / medium grip, 5k oil in the rear for medium / high grip

Carpet Indoor Racing:
Front Diff: 300k-500k (or Tamiya #42247 Gear differential putty)
Rear Diff: 7k -10k in the rear diff for very high grip carpet.

ADDITIONAL RESOURCES -------------------------------------

TT02 Build and Review here
http://www.thercracer.com/2013/05/ta...nd-review.html

TT02 Tuning and Mods Guide
http://www.thercracer.com/2014/08/ta...-and-tips.html
https://www.rcdriver.com/take-the-versatile-tamiya-tt-02-chassis-to-the-next-level/

Gearing for 17.5t Blinky
http://www.thercracer.com/2013/07/ho...inky-with.html

Print Wikipost

Old 01-29-2022, 06:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TurboThirdGen View Post
Try this.

80% silicone bearing oil mixed with 20% PB Blaster Graphite spray. Soak for 24-48 hours and agitate the mixture every few hours, or when you remember.

Now you've got sealed bearings that clean themselves. So smoooooth.
When I was younger I used to use the Graphite lubes on my BMX bike bearings. I felt like it made me faster
It definitely made the bike coast a longer distance.
You forgot to add Iíll be high as a kite. Every time I use the PB blaster, my wife reads me the riot act.

Cycling products are awesome for RC.. I use Finish line ceramic dry wax lube on ring gears, suspension arms etc. works great!
TurboThirdGen likes this.
Old 01-29-2022, 06:51 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Raman View Post
You forgot to add I’ll be high as a kite. Every time I use the PB blaster, my wife reads me the riot act.

Cycling products are awesome for RC.. I use Finish line ceramic dry wax lube on ring gears, suspension arms etc. works great!
Model train stuff too!
Labelle 106 kicks butt. Teflon lube. Use it in all my diffs and spur and pinion. Looks like new every time i check them.

The PB Graphite stuff isn't as bad as the PB Blaster, But I usually spray into a mostly closed container then let it outgas outside.
Old 01-29-2022, 06:54 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by dman18t View Post
If you want to go full on, get a real TC. If you want to embarrass people with more money than skill, TT 02 is very capable in the right hands, just don't go down the rabbit hole with mods.

We race this class as a box stock +bearings class. All driver, car doesn't help you and you can't tune to win. Shows who can wheel and sharpens skills because it's all on the person who is driving it. That's the magic, crazy tight super fun racing chassis that comes nearly complete out of the box for the price of a TC ESC. We have more fun with this class and better racing for 1/4 the cost.
We are far, far down the rabbit hole already
For me, I like people to drool over my RC like I do LOL
Rick Vessell and DirkW like this.
Old 01-30-2022, 01:58 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I just cannot bear it, not tuning my cars (with useful parts, that is.) I look for (potential) performance or durability gains and also good looks - but the latter only, if they don't negatively affect performance. Do these parts really make my car measurably faster with me driving? I dare say: no. Does that change anything for me? Again, no. I just enjoy putting the parts in (usually during the build) and knowing that they are there, looking awesome . It's a hobby after all, it doesn't have to follow a business plan. The only car in my signature that isn't hopped much (actually barely at all) is my Xray SCX. Anything else is hopped up to the max (of what I consider useful, so no aluminium A-arms or such, sorry). Just because I want to. I know, driving in a spec, out of the box class would be fun as well - but even while the driving part is not, the building and owning part would be somewhat boring for me.

Also I'd like to debunk the myth that it's only about the driver in these spec-out-of-the-box classes. In my experience, in any stock or spec class it's also about the tinkerers who manage to get the maximum performance e.g. most free, most efficient drive train, etc.) out of the allowed components. And unfortunately that's often where cheating happens, or at least people acting in a grey zone. In open modified classes, everyone has (more than) enough power. That's where a driver actually makes the most difference, IMO.
Raman, JeffofSpace, garnt and 3 others like this.
Old 02-04-2022, 05:46 PM
Tech Addict

There can be some truth to that depending on who and where you race. Mod does also showcase driver skill. But it also costs 4 times as much just to get into.

Our spec class as I mentioned also does that and we don't have too many cheaters, just a good group of racers. Hasn't been a problem and it's ALL driver still. True rewards when you can hit the perfect line and you know it was all you. Driving a slow car fast builds skill.
Old 02-05-2022, 07:14 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dman18t View Post
There can be some truth to that depending on who and where you race. Mod does also showcase driver skill. But it also costs 4 times as much just to get into.
Again, apparently depends where you drive. I've never seen a modified driver spend 4 times as much money as a stock driver, not even close to that. On the contrary, in my experience - unless we're talking about a very strict spec class - normal stock classes can often become even more expensive than modified. Ok, you wear down tires more quickly in mod and you need a bigger ESC. But in mod there's not nearly as much super light, super low resistance parts, no motor of the month, no ultra-high grade batteries with 40A capable chargers, etc.
JeffofSpace and jgil089 like this.
Old 02-11-2022, 11:51 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fat500 View Post

I can be more competitive with my high dollar x-ray but I have way more fun with my tto2... And by more competitive I mean instead of finishing fifth I can finish in the top three out of 10 racers the tto2 can definitely hold its own if you have one just keep practicing and enjoy it the number one upgrade you can do is the three racing diffs and the yeah racing 50 mm shock set.... that will get your car dialed good luck guys...
Which bumper and bumper support is that?

Who has tried the optional hard lower plate (54926) on black carpet? Any feedback?
Old 02-11-2022, 03:08 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by bentouttashape View Post
Which bumper and bumper support is that?

Who has tried the optional hard lower plate (54926) on black carpet? Any feedback?
Bumper support is from

TA05-TA08, TB03-TB05, TRF416-TRF419. You can find it on the body post parts tree.

Black chassis is stiffer and better for black carpet.
Old 02-11-2022, 04:10 PM
Tech Regular

Bumper support is from

TA05-TA08, TB03-TB05, TRF416-TRF419. You can find it on the body post parts tree.

Black chassis is stiffer and better for black carpet.
Hey, thanks for the reply. That's what I was assuming about the chassis, which works out well, as the standard was OOS on tamiyausa.
Old 02-15-2022, 04:35 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 165 (100%+)

I just picked up another TT-02 from a local modeler that came with the Torque Tuned motor, a Power HD steering servo, full bearings, kit rims and tires with the Mustang GT body. It was used to drift but I will return the car to box stock setup for the TTGT class we run. The kit included a Tamiya TBLE-04s speed control which surprised, and when I Googled it seems this ESC has replaced the TBLE-02s version. Has anyone else found this new model ESC in their Tamiya kits?
Old 02-15-2022, 07:09 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

My Ford GT kit came with the same one.
SteveM likes this.
Old 02-15-2022, 07:11 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by VanBee View Post
My Ford GT kit came with the same one.
My kit is the Ford GT Mustang as well, good to know.

Last edited by SteveM; 02-15-2022 at 09:10 AM.
Old 02-15-2022, 11:59 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by SteveM View Post
I just picked up another TT-02 from a local modeler that came with the Torque Tuned motor, a Power HD steering servo, full bearings, kit rims and tires with the Mustang GT body. It was used to drift but I will return the car to box stock setup for the TTGT class we run. The kit included a Tamiya TBLE-04s speed control which surprised, and when I Googled it seems this ESC has replaced the TBLE-02s version. Has anyone else found this new model ESC in their Tamiya kits?
My dad and I both picked up the '91 Audi V8 kits around Christmas, and both came w/TBLE-04S.
TurboThirdGen likes this.

Last edited by bentouttashape; 02-15-2022 at 03:41 PM.
Old 02-15-2022, 01:13 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by SteveM View Post
Steve,

kits started to ship last year with the updated TBLE-04S. The battery cut off now has 2 settings. The higher is actually sufficient for LiPo even though Tamiya still claims both are LIFe only.

New Tamiya kits are currently shipping with HW 1060 ESC. Tamiya has not officially offered a reason, but I believe this is due to chip shortage. These kits have an A at the end of the 5 digit part code.. eg 58695-A
SteveM and TurboThirdGen like this.
Old 02-15-2022, 01:25 PM
Tech Champion

Steve,

kits started to ship last year with the updated TBLE-04S. The battery cut off now has 2 settings. The higher is actually sufficient for LiPo even though Tamiya still claims both are LIFe only.

New Tamiya kits are currently shipping with HW 1060 ESC. Tamiya has not officially offered a reason, but I believe this is due to chip shortage. These kits have an A at the end of the 5 digit part code.. eg 58695-A
Thanks, good to know. :-)
Raman likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.