Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Tamiya TT02 Thread >

Tamiya TT02 Thread

Like Tree875Likes

Tamiya TT02 Thread

Hide Wikipost
Old 01-14-2021, 03:44 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Tamiya TT02 Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: pparrett
TT02 Wiki - Post your setups, upgrades and home grown ideas here for us to read...

TT02 vs the TT-01
http://www.thercracer.com/2013/01/ta...irst-pics.html
New flat chassis layout - Easier to run LiPOs vs the cutouts in the TT-01s
Revised suspension geometry
Support for std spur gears

MODELS ----------------------------------------------------

Changes that follow are in comparison to the basic kit.
TT02 - Base Kit. Friction Dampers.
TT02D - Drift: Drift Tires, Hardened A-Parts, Oil Shocks
TT02R - Race: Rear Alu 3* Toe In Hubs, Alu Propshaft + Cups, CVA oil Dampers
TT02RR - Race+: TT02R + Adjustable Upper Arms, Oil Filled Diffs, Hardened Blue Chassis
TT02S - Type S: TRF416 arms, FRP shock towers, bearings,
TT02SR - TypeS Race: TT02S + Double cardan front drive shafts, rear lightweight universals, Rear sealed oil differential, front spool
TT02B - Buggy. Offroad: CVA Shocks, Double Wishbone long suspension

HOP UPS ----------------------------------------------------

Bearings:
#54476 Ball Bearing Set TT02: 8x 1050, 4x 1280, 4x 1150

Propshaft:
#54501 Alum Propeller Shaft TT02
#54502 Alum Propeller Joint TT02
Tip:
Put a 3mm piece of well greased silicone hose between the dog bone and the shaft of each wheel to reduce slop.

Motor Mount and Gearing:
#54558 TT02 Aluminum Motor Mount
#54500 High Speed Gear Set
#54875 Oil Gear Differential

Steering:
#54550 Low Friction Step Screws
- Full Upgrade Kit -
#54752 Steering Upgrade Kit, Includes all below.
- Individual Parts -
#54574 Aluminum Steering Set
#54575 Aluminum Steering Bridge
#54799 Hi-Torque Servo Saver or #51000 Servo Saver Black
#54248 Aluminum Turnbuckles 3x23
#50797 5mm Short Adjustable Turnbuckle End

Dog Bones to Universal Joints:
- Standard Steel -
#53792 Universal Shaft Assembly (steel), NOTE: Must also use item 54477 on the TT-02
#54477 Gearbox Joint for Universal Shaft (steel) (2pieces)
- Lightweight -
#53506 Blue Aluminum 39mm Swing Shaft
#53499 Wheel axle for assembly universal
#53681 Titanium wheel axle for assemblu universal (but this is very expensive)
#53500 cross joints for universal
#54477 Gearbox Joint for Universal Shaft (2pieces)
Tip: Run steel in the front, Alu is okay for the rear but the front takes a lot of wear and impact from crashes

Shock Options:
#54753 Super-mini CVA Oil Shocks, comes with med black springs
#42102 TRF 55mm Shocks

Chassis:
#54639 Carbon Damper Stay Front
#54640 Carbon Damper Stay Rear
#47339 Hard Lower Deck Blue
#47340 Hard Lower Deck White
#54926 Hard Lower Deck Black
#54733 Aluminum Rear Uprights, Gives 3* rear toe in for extra stability
#54549 Aluminum Rear Uprights, 2.5* Rear Toe In
#58584 Hardened A-Parts, Uprights, Hub Carriers, Diff Covers, etc

SUGGESTED BASE SETUPS ----------------------------------

Bashing:
Build to the kit instructions and have fun!

Asphalt Parking Lot Racing:
Front Diff: 300k-500k (or Tamiya #42247 Gear differential putty)
Rear Diff: 3K oil in the rear diff for low / medium grip, 5k oil in the rear for medium / high grip

Carpet Indoor Racing:
Front Diff: 300k-500k (or Tamiya #42247 Gear differential putty)
Rear Diff: 7k -10k in the rear diff for very high grip carpet.

ADDITIONAL RESOURCES -------------------------------------

TT02 Build and Review here
http://www.thercracer.com/2013/05/ta...nd-review.html

TT02 Tuning and Mods Guide
http://www.thercracer.com/2014/08/ta...-and-tips.html
https://www.rcdriver.com/take-the-versatile-tamiya-tt-02-chassis-to-the-next-level/

Gearing for 17.5t Blinky
http://www.thercracer.com/2013/07/ho...inky-with.html

Print Wikipost

Old 09-14-2017, 06:56 AM
LJH
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I had an hour free time last night and I started playing with my TT02 again. I was going to try playing with droop by using some spare o-rings in the shocks but as I am looking at it I decided to put the car in "normal" ride height mode. When I built the car I assembled it in "high" ride height mode but these days I am doing 99% of my running at the tennis courts which are pretty smooth.

One thing that always bothered me about my TT02 was the fact that there was a significant amount of bump steer as the suspension compressed, I tried shimming the balls on the hubs but I just could not get rid of it to any great extent. In static I set it up to have a wee bit of toe-out but as the suspension compressed I would get significant toe-in. After changing to the normal height setting that is all but gone.

Just as I was finishing up we had a very heavy sun shower and when I got to the courts there was significant puddling so I did not get to run it yet but I am excited to see how she goes with a 7-8MM ride height, lower roll center and not so wonky bump steer.

Cheers,
Jim

Last edited by LJH; 09-14-2017 at 07:09 AM.
Old 09-14-2017, 12:25 PM
LJH
Tech Master

I was out seeing customers this morning and on the way home had to stop by Ikea to pick up some fixtures for an upcoming trade show. I was taking care of a few e-mails in the back of the parking lot when I remembered I had the TT02 in the back of the car from last night so I thought I would give it a go. The parking lot asphalt is only a couple years old, sealed and in very decent shape.

I set it down and take off......it is a VERY different car and I mean that in a good way. It is so much more stable on big sweepers, it did not feel like the back end was going to swing wide any moment. I did loose a bunch of initial turn in but mid turn and turn exit felt pretty good. Obviously I am on a different surface than what I am use to but I am thinking that going to the lower suspension setting has made a huge change in how the car handles. Once I get to run at the tennis courts I will let you guys know how she does.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 09-15-2017, 04:09 PM
Tech Elite

That is kind of cool in a weird way. With that said it just would not work for me, I run on a tennis court and between the dust on the surface and tires my car gets filthy after just one pack. At least the black hides the dirt somewhat.
air compressor! ...its part of my after race ritual, I spray all my cars with air. Literally takes all the debris, road grime and dust off in a matter of a minute or so. Agree about white though, ..unless I was running on carpet that chassis would get deep scuff marks all over it and they'd be really noticeable.
JatoTheRipper likes this.
Old 09-15-2017, 04:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)

I'm run the white hardened tub and even on carpet it gets dirty.. mine has black marks underneath from traction compound / runner residue. I wipe it clean frequently but it doesn't all go away.
Old 09-16-2017, 07:31 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I ran mine once and it is already dirty. Kind of expected with the white though. It's a performance upgrade, not an ascetic one though, so I can live with it.

I've found my Type R to be very tail happy, both when decelerating and accelerating - far worse even than my XV. Did some spring and shock tuning last time out to no avail...finally noticed my rear axles have a ton of lateral slop - not sure how I missed it to this point. I added shims on the axle to tighten things up - hopefully this does the trick. We'll find out tomorrow.
Old 09-16-2017, 07:03 PM
Tech Apprentice

Hey guys! So... when I just logged in... it said that my last login to this forum was on 4/21/2005.... so... over 12 years ago... which kinda speaks for itself. Basically... I am juuuust getting back into it. Sold all my old stuff. I'm 33 years old now and I gotta admit... i'm pretty overwhelmed by the shift in this hobby. I am... lost. Brushless motors? Transmitters with LED screens for under 50 bucks? WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON HERE!?!?!?! haha... ok... so... why am I posting this all randomly on THIS particular thread? Well... I just ordered a TT-02R chassis to start with, which is supposed to arrive on Monday. I used to have a TT-01 so I guess my first question is, how much difference is there in these two chassis? Secondly... I did NOT realize when I bought this recent chassis that it didn't have sway bars available, so I am curious if anybody knows how to rig up a set so I can order those parts soon to have them on hand by the time it's built.

Lastly... and i'm mentioning this in a seperate paragraph because it's the biggest question I have: I have been trying to read, and understand, and watch videos about these new brushless systems... and maybe i'm just mildly retarded... but, I cannot seem to figure out exactly what type of setup i'd need. Allow me to walk you back in time... and explain what I want... and if someone, probably an older guy like me haha, could please direct me towards what i'm in need of, that would be great. I'm looking for the brushless modern equivalent of a Novak Super Rooster (an old bashers ESC from yeeears ago, that had reverse, but could also have the reverse locked out for racing), a brushed 12t motor, and i'm looking for the longest run times possible in regards to my battery, and I don't care how long it takes to charge, or any of that, as long as the charger is good enough to handle the battery without shortening its life. That's literally it. I am looking for a parking lot basher that I can occasionally race type setup, for as cheap as possible. In fact, if anybody has old brushless gear they grew out of... hit me up! Bang for the buck is what i'm all about... which is why on Monday a belt driven track monster is NOT what UPS is bringing me. :-D

I'm sorry this is off topic guys. But... please trust me when I say that I HAVE tried to do my research... but I don't have the money to waste on buying stuff that won't work well in this car... so, I remembered this website... and I came back, after 12 years, to get some actual help! Thank you so much! I've missed this little community!
Old 09-16-2017, 07:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)

You were out for 12 years.. why did you fall off the wagon man! lol..

Don't feel too old.. I have 15 years on you!

1. TT01 vs TT02 - Its improved slightly but not by leaps and bounds.. come on its tamiya after all, they need to sell hop ups
2. Sway bars for TT02 - There presently aren't any and you will most likely not need them
3. LCD screen Radio for $50.. blame China lol
4. The ESC questions - When Novak closed its doors last year, Charlie said to me.. if you can't beat them.. you might as well join them.. who is them.. its HobbyWing (Blame China again)
5. ESC part deux - I recommend HobbyWing JustStock $50

https://www.hobbywingdirect.com/prod...ant=4734196356

Its what I run in my TT02. You can run it with or without reverse. You will need to pick up a program box for settings $20

https://www.hobbywingdirect.com/prod...ant=1181193952

Now regarding the motor. A brushless equivalent to a 12t would be a 6.5 turn.. honestly that is way too much motor for the TT02.

I race in a stock class with a 21.5 brushless which is about the same as the stock silver can that Tamiya includes in the kits.. but geared down to a final drive of 4.0.

For bashing and adrenaline rush.. I would say maybe pick up a 13.5 brushless (Equivalent to a 19t)

6. Batteries - LiPo batteries last forever.. you will no longer have the issue of car progressively slowing down after a few min.. If you go with a name brand like Reedy you will pay a fortune and end up getting the same battery as a cheaper brand. I recommend SMC 2S batteries .. great bang for your buck http://www.smc-racing.net/index.php?...ory&path=67_97

7. LiPo charger - You will need to pick one up there are many out there depending on your budget.

this is a decent charger for cheap

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-...g-charger.html

8. Charging LiPos - I advise you to charge them in a charging bag and do not leave them unattended... in rare cases, people have burned down their homes..
Old 09-16-2017, 08:12 PM
Tech Apprentice

Raman! Thank you SO much! This is EXACTLY what I was looking for! I will start off with the slower motor and maybe goto the 13.5 later. I appreciate all of this so much!

Also... I just have to say, when you started off "why'd you fall off the wagon?" I literally laughed out loud... and i'd like to take a second to quickly explain why:

I am currently living in a 3/4 house for drug and alcohol addicts. I have been in recovery for some time now and I am just about to celebrate my 14th month clean from drugs and the bottle. The longest i've been sober since I was 16 years old... and the first time i've ever had my life pieced somewhere back together. Unfortunately, as is the case with many drug addicts... I sold pretty much everything I had, and started travelling the country as a street musician for money to support my bad decisions. My R/C equipment, and my old music recording equipment, was the first stuff to go once things got really bad. As stated, I am now living in a 3/4 house, where we can't have things like our own TV, video games, my bow, my rifle, etc... many of the other interests i've had are simply not allowed in this house. This place is geared towards making a lifestyle change and trying to rebuild our lives. Come tax season, I am fixing to move out of here, now that I am being responsible with my decisions again... but, in the meantime, my old R/C car love has come back, along with a heavy nostalgia factor. Luckily, this IS a hobby I am allowed to pursue as per our house rules (you sign a contract when you move into a place like this, which states you will not participate in any activities which encourage reclusive behavior)... so... in a very real way, this hobby is helping me to get my life back, since, as an addict, you tend to lose interest in pretty much anything except the substances you choose. So, when I read that "fall off the wagon" thing... haha... that was pretty much the most dead on opening line you could have possibly had. haha

Again, thank you so much! I literally could not have asked for a better response! Much love!
Old 09-16-2017, 08:23 PM
Tech Apprentice

Raman! That is EXACTLY the type of reply I was hoping for! I will definitely take your advice and start with the slower motor and upgrade later if it suits me.

I would like to add as well... that when you opened with "why'd you fall off the wagon?" I literally laughed out loud. The truth is, I am currently living in a 3/4 house sober living house... just coming up on my 14th month clean from drugs and alcohol. The longest i've been clean since I was 16 years old... and the first time since then i've had my head on straight. When my addiction started to get out of hand, my R/C equipment was one of the first things I sold to support my bad decision making. The rest soon followed and I started travelling the country living out of a backpack and playing music on the street to further fund my journey to the bottom. See, in this sober house i'm in now, we're not allowed to do or have anything that promotes reclusive behavior... so, no televisions, no video games, which obviously would also include things which I had previously done to pass time like shoot my bow, or go plinking with my rifle. You actually sign a contract when you come here that agrees to not have hobbies like that. However, R/C cars ARE something I am allowed to have here, to give me something to past the time and tinker with. In active addiction, you tend to lose interest in anything that doesn't have to do with the substance of your choosing.... but, the R/C love has come back with a vengeance. I suppose one could say that in a very real way, this hobby is helping me to get my life back... to feel human again... since i've been numb and lost for all these years, in a life where I literally did not care about anything. So when you opened with "why'd you fall off the wagon?".... haha, that was actually the most accurate thing you could have said.
Old 09-16-2017, 08:33 PM
Tech Apprentice

Raman! That is EXACTLY the type of reply I was hoping for! I will definitely take your advice and start with the slower motor and upgrade later if it suits me.

I would like to add as well... that when you opened with "why'd you fall off the wagon?" I literally laughed out loud. The truth is, I am currently living in a 3/4 house sober living house... just coming up on my 14th month clean from drugs and alcohol. The longest i've been clean since I was 16 years old... and the first time since then i've had my head on straight. When my addiction started to get out of hand, my R/C equipment was one of the first things I sold to support my bad decision making. The rest soon followed and I started travelling the country living out of a backpack and playing music on the street to further fund my journey to the bottom. See, in this sober house i'm in now, we're not allowed to do or have anything that promotes reclusive behavior... so, no televisions, no video games, which obviously would also include things which I had previously done to pass time like shoot my bow, or go plinking with my rifle. You actually sign a contract when you come here that agrees to not have hobbies like that. However, R/C cars ARE something I am allowed to have here, to give me something to past the time and tinker with. In active addiction, you tend to lose interest in anything that doesn't have to do with the substance of your choosing.... but, the R/C love has come back with a vengeance. I suppose one could say that in a very real way, this hobby is helping me to get my life back... to feel human again... since i've been numb and lost for all these years, in a life where I literally did not care about anything. So when you opened with "why'd you fall off the wagon?".... haha, that was actually the most accurate thing you could have said.
Old 09-16-2017, 09:03 PM
Tech Apprentice

I replied to this twice now and it said it had to be approved but never showed up... but... the gist was thank you. I then explained why I got out of the hobby.... which is a pretty harrowing tail... but, I don't have the time to type the whole thing out a third time at the moment haha
Old 09-22-2017, 07:25 AM
LJH
Tech Master

Super fun last night at the tennis courts. I had not run the SX4 body and the 26MM Ride Radials since I changed up the the suspension on the TT02 so I switched over last night. I get to the tennis courts and it looks like someone power washed the courts since the last time I was there. Anyhow, I set up my course using field markers and added a slalom section this time. It took me 5 minutes to get comfortable with the "new" course but I started to really get the rhythm and was able to really balance the car well using over/understeer to my advantage.....It was a bunch of fun and really the first time the car has felt truly balanced.

BTW, I have to say that spending the $12 on field markers is one of the best "upgrades" I have made to running my car. Being able to "make" a course to run on makes it so much more fun and will prove to be a big help in both chassis tuning as well if I decide to actually run at a formal track.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 09-22-2017, 09:30 AM
Tech Elite

It's vaguely TT02 related... and at least some of what I've run into may relate here.

A Real Life Tinker Gnome: The TT02b MS - Answering the question, again, of what happens when you turn a touring car into a buggy.

The stuff that is "tt02" directly related... I find the steering servo mounts to be soft, and I've had my mounts strip in a crash. I also managed to rip/crack my hard blue chassis.

Old 09-22-2017, 10:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by seatstothewind View Post
Hey guys! So... when I just logged in... it said that my last login to this forum was on 4/21/2005.... so... over 12 years ago... which kinda speaks for itself. Basically... I am juuuust getting back into it. Sold all my old stuff. I'm 33 years old now and I gotta admit... i'm pretty overwhelmed by the shift in this hobby. I am... lost. Brushless motors? Transmitters with LED screens for under 50 bucks? WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON HERE!?!?!?! haha... ok... so... why am I posting this all randomly on THIS particular thread? Well... I just ordered a TT-02R chassis to start with, which is supposed to arrive on Monday. I used to have a TT-01 so I guess my first question is, how much difference is there in these two chassis? Secondly... I did NOT realize when I bought this recent chassis that it didn't have sway bars available, so I am curious if anybody knows how to rig up a set so I can order those parts soon to have them on hand by the time it's built.

Lastly... and i'm mentioning this in a seperate paragraph because it's the biggest question I have: I have been trying to read, and understand, and watch videos about these new brushless systems... and maybe i'm just mildly retarded... but, I cannot seem to figure out exactly what type of setup i'd need. Allow me to walk you back in time... and explain what I want... and if someone, probably an older guy like me haha, could please direct me towards what i'm in need of, that would be great. I'm looking for the brushless modern equivalent of a Novak Super Rooster (an old bashers ESC from yeeears ago, that had reverse, but could also have the reverse locked out for racing), a brushed 12t motor, and i'm looking for the longest run times possible in regards to my battery, and I don't care how long it takes to charge, or any of that, as long as the charger is good enough to handle the battery without shortening its life. That's literally it. I am looking for a parking lot basher that I can occasionally race type setup, for as cheap as possible. In fact, if anybody has old brushless gear they grew out of... hit me up! Bang for the buck is what i'm all about... which is why on Monday a belt driven track monster is NOT what UPS is bringing me. :-D

I'm sorry this is off topic guys. But... please trust me when I say that I HAVE tried to do my research... but I don't have the money to waste on buying stuff that won't work well in this car... so, I remembered this website... and I came back, after 12 years, to get some actual help! Thank you so much! I've missed this little community!
Welcome back. 12 years is a lifetime in terms of electronics. You'll love brushless, LiPo powered RCs all on a budget!
seatstothewind likes this.
Old 09-23-2017, 03:01 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Nerobro View Post
It's vaguely TT02 related... and at least some of what I've run into may relate here.

A Real Life Tinker Gnome: The TT02b MS - Answering the question, again, of what happens when you turn a touring car into a buggy.

The stuff that is "tt02" directly related... I find the steering servo mounts to be soft, and I've had my mounts strip in a crash. I also managed to rip/crack my hard blue chassis.

Nice piece. Here in the U.K. we run these buggies once a year in a 2hr box-to-track buildathon, then 2 days of team racing including a 2 hour endurance round. They hold up really well, usually the only weak piece is the rear diff ring gear - shimming is not allowed. The car has to be as kit with the only permitted upgrades being bearings, an 18x2 brushed motor and Hobbywing 1060 ESC plus you can use a decent servo saver (but nobody bothers, the kit one seems fine).
Nerobro likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.