R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Spektrum/Nomadio (Race Directors Forum) (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/70024-spektrum-nomadio-race-directors-forum.html)

Ray Murray 04-22-2005 10:12 AM

Spektrum/Nomadio (Race Directors Forum)

Seems like this new technology will be taking off soon and I wanted to start this thread to get some opinions/thoughts about the future of impounding these radios.

On one hand, I can see the confusion it might cause with other racers seeing radios being used in the pits, but I can also see that this would be a great advantage to the racers to be able to test, tune, and repair vehicles without fear of a conflict.

Just wondering what other race directors/track owners think about this.

Are there any race directors that would consider letting racers keep DSM radios in the pits???

Marcos.J 04-22-2005 10:43 AM

Re: Spektrum/Nomadio (Race Directors Forum)

Originally posted by Ray Murray
Seems like this new technology will be taking off soon and I wanted to start this thread to get some opinions/thoughts about the future of impounding these radios.

On one hand, I can see the confusion it might cause with other racers seeing radios being used in the pits, but I can also see that this would be a great advantage to the racers to be able to test, tune, and repair vehicles without fear of a conflict.

Are there any race directors that would consider letting racers keep DSM radios in the pits???

At Lakeland Florida the race director tells the people with the spektrum that they can keep their radios in the pits.

nimble 04-22-2005 11:38 AM

Add DART to the list!

Ray, add DART system to the list of 2.4Ghz devices (see announcement) Also, please don't call them all "DSM", this is a Spektrum made-up name, coming from a company that can't spell Spectrum correctly... ;) I'd suggest using just "2.4Ghz" as a label, or to go with SS as Spread Spectrum.

To provide input to your question, the only reason to impound would be, as you point out, for other non-2.4ghz radio users to be confused about being able to turn on their radios. Given the damage this can create for FM systems, I would say it might be best to still impound until most people have 2.4ghz systems.

Cheers,

dsrbltoys 04-22-2005 02:33 PM

Let it go man! After the last 4 years at ROC there has been no real problems, and they have no impound.

raving-monkey 04-22-2005 02:45 PM

Re: Add DART to the list!

Originally posted by nimble
Ray, add DART system to the list of 2.4Ghz devices (see announcement) Also, please don't call them all "DSM", this is a Spektrum made-up name, coming from a company that can't spell Spectrum correctly... ;) I'd suggest using just "2.4Ghz" as a label, or to go with SS as Spread Spectrum.

To provide input to your question, the only reason to impound would be, as you point out, for other non-2.4ghz radio users to be confused about being able to turn on their radios. Given the damage this can create for FM systems, I would say it might be best to still impound until most people have 2.4ghz systems.

Cheers,

hey man...the DART sounds pretty cool...nice features by the sounds of it.

but because of that i guess its gonna have a hefty price tag:(

DT-Skyline 04-22-2005 02:56 PM

U guy critisize to much on things lik these..... DART did hav some problems b4, but now, its time for Spectrm to shine and take over Radio Crystels k? THe Spectrum is very very good. I've tryed it out myself and all i can say is wow. Test it from a friend, cuz that's wat i did:D Don't start sandbaggin on this now please:nod:

Ray Murray 04-22-2005 09:48 PM

LOL @ nimble!!!!

Thanks for the heads up on the DART system. I guess the 2.4Ghz market will be booming this summer.....:)

But, rather than making this a "who's better than who" thread, I'd like to keep it in generic terms and deal with the race directing side of R/C racing.

Technology is great for the racers and we, as race directors, have to keep up with the trends as well.

For example, what are race directors listing as "frequencies" for 2.4Ghz users in the computers?

I have Autoscore Pro (windows) and there is a "frequencies" field where you can add or edit frequencies to whatever you want it to say.

I was thinking of calling a few DSM1, DSM2, DSM3, etc, but since this might be "politically incorrect" I may call them something else.....LOL

nimble 04-22-2005 10:37 PM

Ray, they put in RC1 for my frequency at my track, not sure how they picked that.
I suggested N/A, for Not Applicable :)

futureal 04-23-2005 12:29 PM

RC Scoring Pro has a field for digital radios in their frequency system.

Hitec also has a system coming out soon, and I am fairly sure there is another major company with one in the pipeline.

TigeRyan 04-23-2005 01:38 PM

Hitec has software coming or an entire scoring system??? Would be nice for there to be some competition in the market...

futureal 04-23-2005 03:16 PM

I meant digital radio system, not scoring system. :)

Sow&Steady 04-23-2005 03:19 PM

Re: Spektrum/Nomadio (Race Directors Forum)

Originally posted by Ray Murray

Yes, I thought it was going to be a hit too until I used it at our Nationals series race. I was told it was OK for Round 1 and at Round 2 a month later at another track I was told it is illegal for the BRCA!

Now I also see that EFRA has made it illegal.

Is it confusion or is it about being scared of the unknown?

I think they see the advantages but officials of BRCA and EFRA has to uphold the rules and these don't get changed easily apparently. there has to be an AGM and that's usually once a year and its at the end of the year.

Despite what the manufacturers (Spektrum in my case) say in their manuals, you'd need to check if you are going to be allowed to use it at official events.

I understand IFMAR allowed the system at the Worlds in Brazil. ROAR seems to also allow it.

Manufacturers could perhaps get in touch with other race organizations and explain the benefits?

jeepnyy 04-23-2005 03:22 PM

Local club races will not require impounds. But when it comes to regionals or national races, impounds will still be needed just because of the sheer volume of racers. Spread spectrum radios still has it's limitations. I think, according to Spektrum manual, that only up to 71 radios can be "on" at the same time. Correct me if I'm wrong. ROAR & ARCOR have said that it is legal use on their sanctioned races. And when you have more than 100 racers attending, there will be problems. :cry: Just my 2 cents.

Henry E.:batman:

Sow&Steady 04-23-2005 03:28 PM

Originally posted by futureal
RC Scoring Pro has a field for digital radios in their frequency system.

Hitec also has a system coming out soon, and I am fairly sure there is another major company with one in the pipeline.

Shane, HiTec actually showed their system working at the Nurmberg Hobby show earlier this year.

The other manufacturer is Nomadio. This is a complete radio set though with some sleek design for the Tx. :)

Sow&Steady 04-23-2005 03:30 PM

Originally posted by jeepnyy
Local club races will not require impounds. But when it comes to regionals or national races, impounds will still be needed just because of the sheer volume of racers. Spread spectrum radios still has it's limitations. I think, according to Spektrum manual, that only up to 71 radios can be "on" at the same time. Correct me if I'm wrong. ROAR & ARCOR have said that it is legal use on their sanctioned races. And when you have more than 100 racers attending, there will be problems. :cry: Just my 2 cents.

Henry E.:batman:

Ah yes, that's a good point. The solution then is to impound anyways when there are more than 71 racers with the system.