R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-23-2005, 04:58 PM   #16
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

well if this system will be really popular to the big name racers, then ya i would think that more then 71 racers would have it
Alex_kipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 05:10 PM   #17
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to k_bojar Send a message via AIM to k_bojar

Ray, I would go with your DSM idea and leave it at that...Maybe AutoScore has a new patch that accepts the DSM systems (and yes, I am using DSM as a general term just like xerox)

I know Jlap2005 has the ability to accept DSM as a frequency without any issues...Drew just enters the "DSM" once and the software knows

Either that or handle it the way you handle the "40mhz" rebels
Old 04-23-2005, 05:24 PM   #18
Company Representative

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Yes, Autoscore has Spektrum & Syth options.....
Tres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 05:54 PM   #19
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by Sow&Steady
Ah yes, that's a good point. The solution then is to impound anyways when there are more than 71 racers with the system.
No, I'm sure they mean that you can have 71 2.4Ghs radios on at the "same time" without a conflict.

As long as you have only 8-10 racers in a race, you can have unlimited 2.4Ghs radios with no fear of conflicts. If you ran a 72 car heat, then it would be a problem....

Those 8-10 radios will search for one of the 71 channels and lock on one that is not being used.....

A 71 car heat would be kinda cool though.....LOL
Ray Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 06:12 PM   #20
R/C Tech Founder

Quote:
Originally posted by Sow&Steady
Shane, HiTec actually showed their system working at the Nurmberg Hobby show earlier this year.

The other manufacturer is Nomadio. This is a complete radio set though with some sleek design for the Tx.
I saw the Hitec at Nuremburg, that's where I heard about it. The other company I was referring to is not Nomadio (Nomadio unveiled their system at last year's RCX; I wrote an article about it in XRC about 7 months ago).
Old 04-23-2005, 08:06 PM   #21
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by Tres
Yes, Autoscore has Spektrum & Syth options.....
Thanks! I'll look into that also.....
Ray Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 02:38 AM   #22
Tech Adept

The answer is impound all or none....

If you leave spektrum users with their radio in the pits, they will have a material advantage over those impounded...

Nimble, well done on the DART system, more competition cant be a bad thing... But why do you always have to put Spektrum down? Even if it is only the Name and their marketing this time...

One things for sure, Spektrum is a lot easier to search for on Ebay than DART...

Galifrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 02:54 AM   #23
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Galifrey
The answer is impound all or none....

If you leave spektrum users with their radio in the pits, they will have a material advantage over those impounded...

part of racing is having a material advantage, If I'm going to pay $160 for this system (I already did) then let me keep my radio in the pits, it's not hurting anyone else.
Serpent S411 LE kit #192
RCTech #361
Matt Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 05:54 AM   #24
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by Ray Murray
No, I'm sure they mean that you can have 71 2.4Ghs radios on at the "same time" without a conflict.

As long as you have only 8-10 racers in a race, you can have unlimited 2.4Ghs radios with no fear of conflicts. If you ran a 72 car heat, then it would be a problem....

Those 8-10 radios will search for one of the 71 channels and lock on one that is not being used.....

A 71 car heat would be kinda cool though.....LOL
True, but if all of the other 61 have their radios with them in the pits, what happens if a bunch of them switch on to tune cars etc?

I'm not 100% on how the binding process happens.
Old 04-24-2005, 05:56 AM   #25
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by futureal
I saw the Hitec at Nuremburg, that's where I heard about it. The other company I was referring to is not Nomadio (Nomadio unveiled their system at last year's RCX; I wrote an article about it in XRC about 7 months ago).
This is GREAT news that yet another major manufacturer is going into this. You ought to jelp us here in europe Shane and write to EFRA.

I was told by EFRA that they will not legalise the 2.4 GHz systems because "only one or two manufacturers" are making them!

(I need to have a word with XRC too, they don't seem to be able to deliver all their subsribed issues overseas ... )

Last edited by Sow&Steady; 04-24-2005 at 06:54 AM.
Sow&Steady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 07:10 AM   #26
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to John Fontaine

Just to clarify things, the spectrum has 79 usable channels and 80 as a spare. If those 80 channels are being used up (I hardly think this will ever happen, even at a big event) then the next person will not bind to a channel UNTIL someone shuts down their system. No one can be on another person's channel period.

I would argue the impound rule for this system. If people can't understand why I can have my radio on in the pits then I need to tell them that I have a spred technology system that doesn't use crystals and interfere with other people that could be practicing or racing. Simple as that. A little knowledge transfer is all that needs to happen here. I also bet if you tell that person the benifit of the crystal-less system then he/she will think its a great idea and gravitate to buying a system too.
Old 04-24-2005, 02:01 PM   #27
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by John Fontaine
Just to clarify things, the spectrum has 79 usable channels and 80 as a spare. If those 80 channels are being used up (I hardly think this will ever happen, even at a big event) then the next person will not bind to a channel UNTIL someone shuts down their system. No one can be on another person's channel period.

I would argue the impound rule for this system. If people can't understand why I can have my radio on in the pits then I need to tell them that I have a spred technology system that doesn't use crystals and interfere with other people that could be practicing or racing. Simple as that. A little knowledge transfer is all that needs to happen here. I also bet if you tell that person the benifit of the crystal-less system then he/she will think its a great idea and gravitate to buying a system too.
If that is the case....that no one else can "operate" or bind as you said....then only the first 79/80 DSM units that turn their radios on will work and the others will not be able to use their DSM in the pit. If and that is a BIG "if"....the premise is right...then there's nothing we have to worry...coz' we will have to take time for others to turn off their DSM and free up one or more of those 79/80 channels...that is "IF " they turn them off to give others a chance ...again....IF THIS SCENARIO POP-UP.....THE SOLUTION IS I M P O U N D. I sure hope that someone from Spektrum/Horizin address this issue ...here in the forum.....$150+ is a hefty sum to be on the same situation were we started. Although I already have plunk the dough for it.
Just my 2 cents

Henry E.
jeepnyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 02:15 PM   #28
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to John Fontaine

i hardly doubt impound is what you need to fix that situation. All the race director would do is to try and enforce turning your system off when in the pits to give other people the opportunity to have their DSM system work. I also do not think that 80 channels will ever be used at one time.

Impound is only suppose to be so frequency conflicts do not happen during practice/racing. Spectrum this can never happen, hense no need to impound.
Old 04-24-2005, 09:37 PM   #29
Tech Addict

John, I do hope that will be the case......I sure hope so. Let's just hope for the best....coz this DSM seems to be the best thing that ever happen since the move to PCM.

Henry E.
jeepnyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 01:42 AM   #30
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

If those using Spread Spectrum technology don't impound their radios (at very big events), then it will be the Race Director's problem (or that of his staff) to make sure every single racer turns off their radios before every single heat during the day. Can you imagine having to do this during a race like the Snowbird Nationals where hundreds of racers show up (448 Actual Racers for 2005)!?! Do you really think everyone will follow the rules when the race Director yells out: "Turn Off Your Radios"?! It's just going to tax an already busy staff in making sure that everyone on the race stand for his race has a channel available before each and every qualifier/heat. No doubts Spread Spectrum technology is Great! I use it and love it! But it does have it's limitations... and it's limits are 79-80 channels at one time. Seeing how fast people are adapting to it... it definitely won't be too long before more guys at a race will have one as to those that don't....

Last edited by STEALTH; 04-25-2005 at 01:47 AM.
STEALTH is offline   Reply With Quote