R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-25-2001, 09:28 AM   #166
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

King-G: good to see that you have made it to our new home!

If you want to get the take on what happened to rctouring.com, there is a thread somewhere around here that discusses it.

Although my number of post don't indicate it, I was infact one of the last Corally thread regular, besides you of course, to find out about this place. I was told about it by a fellow racer in Kansas. How did you just stumble upon the site? I wouldn't have known what to even look for if it weren't for that friend of mine.

In any case welcome to the new community. Things have been kind of slow since the events in New York and Washington, but people have slowly gotten back to posting lately.
Old 09-25-2001, 10:06 AM   #167
Tech Apprentice

Well Darkside, I see that you made it racing this past weekend. The treat of rain kelp me away as well as my part never coming. It sounds like your car ran well. Did you run the spec class.
HPI 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2001, 12:31 PM   #168
Regional Moderator

HPI 1: The threat of rain wasn't enough to keep me at home with so few races left in the season.

No I didn't run the spec class. I wanted to, but they were still talking that $10 stuff and you know that aint me. I'm not going to pay extra to pad the pockets of those who are competing in the championship. I thought we had settled that stuff about the cost of that class. But, apparently I was mistaken! O'well, their loss, there were only four people running the class, so I think they really need to rethink how they run that class next year.

Sorry to hear about your part not coming in. I hope it gets in intime for the last week of racing at Mike's.
Old 09-25-2001, 03:19 PM   #169
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Smile

Rotor- KingG - glad you found us finally. I sent a bunch of e-mails last week to all the Australian club sites to post rctech on their links page- is that how you found us?

Trips- those titanium pillow balls are nice! .5oz lighter overall.....

Darkside- If you didn't have Ks. listed on your avatar I would think you're living in Great Britain with all the rain you guys get
Glad your racing weekend was great... I didn't run- saving my equipment for this week

Last edited by MikeR; 09-25-2001 at 03:59 PM.
MikeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2001, 03:21 PM   #170
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

MikeR,

Glad they're working out well for you. UPS sez the package will get here tomorrow...

Thanks again,

Trips
Old 09-25-2001, 05:41 PM   #171
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to King-G

yeah a friend of mine notified me of it yesterday, he must have been scanning some r/c sites and found out that way..

Black knight, I'm afraid i wont be making the trip up for this meet, I did make it up for the meet in january, but im afraid I'm giving this one a miss, we have the vic state titles at tftr in only a little over a month, so i hope to see a few guys from n.s.w making it down, should be an awesome meet.

the new oneway seems great so far...sorry to hear yours snapped, how the hell did that happen?..before teh corally oneway was realeased, we were running a modified hpi oneway diff...was pretty good, until mine died a few weeks ago..the roller bearing seized up.

i feel like i am at home again, I havent known what to do with myself without the corally thread..heheh

we now have an awesome indoor track in victoria..located about 30 mins drive from my house, i have been spending alot of time there...the corally really seems to hook up well on the surface, it is a concrete base, with 2 coats of asphalt/ bitumen paint..the track looks fantastic, and is very technical to drive.

there is also a outdoor track, and an offroad track, and hobbyshop in the same location....it rocks..
King-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2001, 06:47 PM   #172
Tech Champion

KingG- lucky for you guys- must be nice having an indoor facility within 30mins. Post some pics...

Any of you guys have lots of experience with 5 min open modified? I have smh3000 and a reedy Ti 9dbl and 11dbl and am wondering what gearing I should start with on a large banked oval/ road coarse. Also how much should I advance if at all the timing on these motors? Track temps will be extremely hot (Las Vegas desert) so i'm wondering if the 9dbl will finish strong or not because I know the 11dbl will.
Old 09-25-2001, 07:03 PM   #173
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
Any of you guys have lots of experience with 5 min open modified? I have smh3000 and a reedy Ti 9dbl and 11dbl and am wondering what gearing I should start with on a large banked oval/ road coarse. Also how much should I advance if at all the timing on these motors?
I'm running around 8.95 overall on 62.5mm tires with a ti 9dbl in my XXXS on a medium sized somewhat technical roadcourse. We're running lap times in the mid to low 17's, and in 5 minute mod I can just make the runtime with 2400's, and easily make it with 3000's. I'm running the motor at 24 degrees of advance with Reedy 729 Quasars and the springs that came on it. I did open up the positive spring about 15 degrees for a bit more tension. The motor runs VERY strong for me this way.

Trips
Old 09-25-2001, 08:39 PM   #174
Tech Fanatic

wow..so many posts to read and so little time...

heheh ive got no work done today...

ive read over a few questions that i have some solutions for..

i read some of you were having probs with the steel ball in the shocks not being able to be tightened enough, i used the same solution mentioned..by using the serpent grey ballstuds, which have a hex indent in the und so it can be tightened by either a hex driver, or corally driver at teh other side...

i also use these serpent ballstuds on all of the lower ball ends on the shocks..

i got some long threaded screws, which have a hex in the end. and i screwed them all teh way into the arm, with a small dab of ca...then i attach the lower shock using the hex driver onto the new serpent ballstuds...thsi is a great method, and it has worked well for me..

as for servo posts...try the Tamiya polished machined alloy posts..they look trick, and as sturdy as hell...i put a small amount of servo tape under the servo for good measure,, but it isnt needed.
Old 09-25-2001, 08:46 PM   #175
Tech Fanatic

so what setups have everyone been playing with...

my current setup is fairly similar to that used by Sakke at rippon, which is from corally usa site...

ran my corally S.M.H on the weekend for teh first time...great runtime, and consistent voltage throughout the run...my orion sanyos seem to have more initial voltage(n the first minute)..but i think the s.m.h feel stronger for the rest of the race..

also installed the new alloy axles...with the improved machining..no slop in the bearings whatso ever...

im still running the topdeck mod...and its proving to work in almost any conditions...ive even been running it indoors..i found that after time a little slop develops in the turnbuckle ballcups..so i applied some tire c.a to an ear bud, and swiped it inside the ball cup, waited for it to dry, and whallu..no more slop...

anyone using the sorex tires?...im trying to get some here in Oz...were all still using the hpi 33rs with red inserts...but im wanting to find something new, especially with the State titles up in a month

Old 09-25-2001, 09:24 PM   #176
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

King-G: Up here in Sydney at our Sydney On-Road club alot of the guys have been using Rides and Sorex. On my C4.1 i have used Sorex 20's and 24's with Sorex Type A inserts. The weather is now to warm for these compounds, Sorex do have 36's and 40's which are worth trying.

The Sorex and Rides have been coming from Southern Cross Hobbies: http://www.justplanes.com.au/sch_home.htm

In the Pro-Line Range the LP Slick's in M3 or H13 with modified Eagle Red inserts work very well, you would be suprised how will this combo works! The Red inserts need to be cut/shortend and re joined, i have the exact measurement at home i will post it later tonight.

Corally SMH are very good, i have completed a couple of runs with mine and performance is on par with my older Orion 3's and exceeds my Trinty SMH. The Corally cells will be my preferred packs for the upcoming state titles.

-BK
Old 09-25-2001, 09:31 PM   #177
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trips: 24 degrees on an 11dbl (or a 9dbl) thats a fair bit of timing, what brushes do you normally run???

I always run 15 degrees or less, with Orion 2-3 run brushes (high silver). If it's warm then i will run 10-30's run brushes. I also use Fantom 312's and 308's.
Old 09-26-2001, 12:39 AM   #178
Tech Elite

24 degrees sounds like a lot of timing for a 9 turn to me too, but I got the advice from Big Jim Greenameyer, one of the most respected motor men in the country. I'm running Reedy 729 Quasar brushes in that motor.

Trips
Old 09-26-2001, 11:01 AM   #179
Tech Champion

Trips- thanks- printing your advice and taking it with me to the Nats....

King- Here's how i've been setting my car up as of late...

Front:
0 toe in
1.2d of camber
Caster- 1medium spacer in back, the rest to the front
no reactive
50wt oil- 4 holes open
orange spring
lower mounting hole on arm
middle hole on shock tower
4mm ride hieght

Rear:
0 to.5d toe in for stock, 1d toe in for spec mod, ? for 9dbl (i carry a 2.5mm wrench
on my radio to make quick rear toe adjustments depending on weather fluctuations and tire grip at the track side)
.8d camber- extra long top tie rod
.5d anti squat
50wt oil- 4 holes open
white spring
lower monting hole extended towards the wheel 4mm (modification)
middle hole on shock tower.
4mm ride hieght

Droop:
measured with wheels off and chassis on flat board with a ride hight guage under each hub
front 2mm
rear 8.5mm (i increase to 9mm for more steering, decrease to 7mm for more grip)

Other Mods:
All shock bodies are short bodies and lowered the rear shock tower to match.
front one-way
replaced center one-way with a regular plastic pulley to reduce mass.
mounted servo inboard from stock position- put the steer link between the horn and servo.
split top plate.
2 belt tensioners that barely press the belt. one is stock , the other sits on the bottom side.
cut the center of the battery mounts out to allow better battery cooling.
degreased all bearings and double checked for freeness constantly!
Old 09-26-2001, 11:32 AM   #180
Regional Moderator

King: heres the setup I've been running-

Toe in: (F/R):-1deg/1.5deg
Camber: (F/R):1.5/1.5
Caster: largest and smallest spacers in back, medium in front
30wt oil/ three holes, open front and rear
Orange springs (front)/White springs (rear)
Shock lower mount: lower hole (front)/normal hole (rear)
Shock upper mount: (F/R)3 hole/5 hole
Ride height: (F/R) 5mm
Rear camber mount: hole 4
rear anit-squat: .5deg

Other things of note:
Still using solid upper deck
Gooped the servo to the chassis to help the stock servo mounts
Diffs are run loose front and rear
Belt tensioner barely on belt(just to protect agaist any possible skipping)
Reciever(XXL) and speedo(Tekin G10) mounted flat on chassis in the normal space.

Special mods: None......yet!