R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-28-2013, 11:48 AM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default Tc3 or Sukura s

Hi

I'm getting back into racing and was looking the the costings of a new gear and checking what had when I found my old TC3 in the back of the garage,
It looks similar to the Tc4 club racer

Question is which car would you pick and why ?

A old Tc3 or Sakura S?
Andy Redz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:03 PM   #2
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Spec-R S1

Cheap car but builds solid.

Its kind of a copy of current cars but tries to take the best of each and puts them together.

Seems to run pretty solid out of the box, only option on my car right now is sway bars, still on kit springs.
FUTABA 2.4G FASST, Spec-R S1, Speed Passion SP-1, Sakura D3 FWD, Kyosho Evolva M3, Team Losi XX-4, Caster EX1.5R, HPI Wheelie King Crawler, Quanum Aquaholic, Joysway Wildcat
nrtv20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:30 PM   #3
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 142 (100%+)

If your TC3 is still in good running condition then the obvious choice is to run the TC3 and see if you really want to make a come back. If you're looking for an economy sedan other than the TC3, then the Spec-R S1 Sport sedan is a solid choice.
SteveM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:47 PM   #4
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM View Post
If your TC3 is still in good running condition then the obvious choice is to run the TC3 and see if you really want to make a come back. If you're looking for an economy sedan other than the TC3, then the Spec-R S1 Sport sedan is a solid choice.
Steve, you had a Sakura at one point, didn't you? It seems you prefer the Spec-R now. If so, will you give specifics about why?
redbarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:59 PM   #5
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbarton View Post
Steve, you had a Sakura at one point, didn't you? It seems you prefer the Spec-R now. If so, will you give specifics about why?
Yes please do Steve
Andy Redz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:14 AM   #6
Tech Champion

i'd get the tc3 up and working if its in good shape.

The main issue will be what battery you put in it. If you have old nimh cells they probably wont be much good now so you might need to consider going to lipo.

Then you have the hassle of getting the right size or modifying the battery area to fit it in.

The sakura S obviously is a newer car and will come with a battery strap which may be more accomodating.

Secondly, the parts backup with the SS (should you need anything later on) should be a lot easier

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:35 AM   #7
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Redz View Post
Yes please do Steve
I have both the Sakura Zero S and the Spec-R S1 sedans. I have both setup for my club's 17.5 blinky class and both are still being raced.

The Sakura has been upgraded to the point where only the chassis and shock towers are stock, but the S1 is still mainly stock with only wheel hexes, alloy fan mount and the new center mount servo holder having been upgraded.

The Sakura needed some changes right away to be easier for me to work on out of the box. The 19T pulleys, spur gear adapter, vertical motor mount and the mods to the upper deck and battery tray guides being the key changes. I've since added the pink alloy parts to also make life easier when working on the chassis. The plastics are fine, but over time they tend to strip out. It was a pain to thread bolts into the Sakura plastics and a 3mm tap might have helped.

The S1 needed nothing out of the box and the motor mount allows you to use any spur gear. Unlike the Sakura, I don't have to go through the spur gear to tighten the motor. That alone was nice to see. The S1 also comes with a spool up front and threaded shocks which was something I had to buy afterwards for the Sakura. I added the clamping wheel hexes just to make tire changes easier. The stock plastic ones are fine but they tend to fall off and the pin drops out. The center mount steering servo mount is all the rage right now and I picked this up to see what the fuss was all about. The fan mount was bought as pure eye candy.

The Sakura has not suffered any breakage during racing and has been rock solid for me. I've broken the front lower bumper and several front body posts on the S1 during races.

I also have a Factory Team TC3 on the shelf with all the goodies like one-way, spool, steel diffs, etc. It's the car I took to Cleveland back on '02 and it has a special place in my heart. I've had it out a few times and I'm amazed that it can still be competitive. Parts support is also still very good. I also have a Tamiya TB-02R that is stock excpet for a Yeah Racing adjustable alloy motor mount. Very similar to the TC3 and I have it rigged with a silver can motor just for fun.

Last edited by SteveM; 01-29-2013 at 06:02 AM.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:06 AM   #8
Tech Addict

If you are planning to run stock type racing, I would choose the TC3 as it has a really free drive train when set up right. No belt drive car can match the TC3 for speed. If you have to do a little dremelling to get your batery to fit - big deal.

Mike
ixlr8nz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:22 AM   #9
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixlr8nz View Post
If you are planning to run stock type racing, I would choose the TC3 as it has a really free drive train when set up right. No belt drive car can match the TC3 for speed. If you have to do a little dremelling to get your batery to fit - big deal.

Mike
I'm using the HK 4000mAh 2S Flightmax lipos and they fit perfectly in my TC3. I did have to use a Dremel to make room for the larger pinion gears when using a brushless motor to get the FDR I wanted. No biggie and as mentioned the car has a smooth and free running drive train.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:37 PM   #10
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I would just run the tc3 if it is in good shape. I just got mine back up and running after sitting in my basement since 2001 and was suprised you could still find parts available.I run venom and gen ace 5000 2s lipo,s and they fit fine.As mentioned by SteveM Just had to dremel the webbing below the pinion for brushless gearing.

Last edited by Bugman; 01-29-2013 at 06:39 PM. Reason: .
Bugman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:51 PM   #11
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

My opinion, go with the Sakura and get the vertical motor mount.
Running in our VTA class I started with the TC3, trying to keep it as a budget racer and to show that the older TC3 would be competitive. It was but not as good as I had hoped.
I picked up the Sakura because of its very cheap price and layout. I was instantly surprised with how well this car ran. After fumbling with running 64 pitch gear and not being able to adjust the motor/gear gap without frustration I broke down and installed the verticle motor mount.
The build on this car is not as smooth as a higher end car like an xray but again you are not paying the same as you would for an xray.
The belts are a little tight with the original pullies but I havent had any issues and they seem to be stretching out nicely.
For the money you can't beat a Sakura, if you can put out a little more and pick up a used Xray I would.
Otherwise, Sakura S and verticle motor mount.
xray2050 is offline   Reply With Quote