Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FK'05 failed thrust bearings only

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2005, 06:31 AM
Tech Regular

Default FK'05 failed thrust bearings only

If you have an FK'05 in which the thrust bearings failed, please post here...

I'm afraid to pull my diffs apart, for they feel terrible, and if the thrust bearings have failed I won't be running the car for awhile.

Of the 4 other guys I knowpersonally, who run the car, 2 have had the thrust bearings fail.
Old 04-25-2005, 06:48 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Most if not all thrust bearing with metal retainer ring will fails in no time. The one that has a “copper” look a like retainer rings will last for a long long time.

Both of my original thrust bearings fell apart after 6 packs (may be failed before I took it apart). The guy sitting next to me didn’t make it past the first 4-5 packs.

If your replacement one got the metal retainer ring it may fail again. Look for the “copper” looking one. All else fail Corally RDX thrust bearing will fit and it has a copper retainer ring.

Xray must have bought the thrust bearing from two different manufacturers.
Old 04-25-2005, 07:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Why create a separate thread for that?

Paul
Old 04-25-2005, 07:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

It's sad because they clearly annouce that the new t1'FK05's will have the carbide thrust bearings. Clearly this is not the case because I took mine apart first thing to check for lube (none btw, but the 12 dif balls did have minimal amount of grease), and they did not have the "copper" thrust bearings like I had when I made the switch to carbide in my 04 Xray. I feel this is false advertising since each carbide thrust bearing is atleast 22$ to replace and we the customers didn't get them.
Old 04-25-2005, 07:07 AM
Tech Elite

Fine. They screwed up on the thrust bearing and yes you need to shelf an extra $22. The rest of the car is absolutely, positively, brilliantly superb and definitely the best bang for the buck on the market today. Is their mistake worth another thread? I think not... hence i will stop posting here btw... Just my 2cts

Paul
Old 04-25-2005, 07:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)
I was the guy sitting next to komkit who had the axial bearings fail. First the front diff then the rear. Anyhow, luckily some racers had extra axial bearings that fit the diff. If the diff is pretty rough, most likely you'll have to rebuild and replace the axial bearing. The copper cage axial bearing will definitely fix your problem. Checkout Team Xray's forum page on their website for more information about this.
Old 04-25-2005, 07:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Originally posted by Lonestar
Fine. They screwed up on the thrust bearing and yes you need to shelf an extra $22. The rest of the car is absolutely, positively, brilliantly superb and definitely the best bang for the buck on the market today. Is their mistake worth another thread? I think not... hence i will stop posting here btw... Just my 2cts

Paul
AGREED!!!
Old 04-25-2005, 07:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

My point is that they did not deliver on what was promised and they try and conceal it with offering a pre-built dif that lacks grease. Very smart Xray!
Old 04-25-2005, 07:14 AM
Tech Regular

The reason for starting a new thread is to make it more visible. I talked to the Canadian Distributor who said he had only heard of one case in Canada, yet I know 2 others myself. There are lots of posts saying the same thing in the FK thread yes, this is an attempt to organize them.

And lets not forget its at least $22 each, 2 diffs = $44

There is no support for Corally here, and very very little for Losi.
Old 04-25-2005, 07:18 AM
Tech Master

speaking of promises, how about the multi diff*

*not available in the USA kits
Old 04-25-2005, 07:28 AM
Shop Owner

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

My friends and I all experienced the same thing (3 fks)

Nick
Old 04-25-2005, 10:21 AM
Tech Master

Martyn,

As you probably know ... you can add me to the list.

I love the car - but to cheap-out on the axial bearings - disappointing!.

To reply to those that question why the seperate post ... to bring attention to a problem and hope that there are enough replies to cause X-Ray to look into this a little more seriously then they appear to be.
Old 04-25-2005, 10:33 AM
Tech Elite

I have one that went critical mass
Old 04-25-2005, 10:43 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

My RDX had two of the "silver" type thrust washers in the diffs, both of which went bad immediately. Corally USA sent me two copper thrust bearings, including new washers for free, and admitted that these parts were defective. They did the same thing for people that got aluminum diff pulleys that heated up and melted diff balls.

Not trying to start a debate between manufacturers, but if there's an obvious problem, the right thing to do is address it, not try and sweep it under the rug and tell people "too bad, we're XRay" as some have suggested. They obviously make an awesome car. If there's a flaw, they need to own up to it. To do anything else is bad business.

Thanks to the guy who created this thread. It's often up to consumers to keep companies honest.
Old 04-25-2005, 10:58 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 45 (96%+)

What size is this thrust bearing?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.