Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Turnigy Trooper with violent cogging >

Turnigy Trooper with violent cogging

Turnigy Trooper with violent cogging

Old 01-20-2013, 03:11 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Turnigy Trooper with violent cogging

Hi guys,

I'm having an issue with this Turnigy Trooper. I've upgraded ESC to a hobbywing 150A and a tenshock SC401 4600kv motor. Gearing is 15t pinion and 44t spur 17mm hex upgrade. It seems to cog way too violently when driving slow but once you accelerate hard, the cogging seems to go away. I understand that most brushless motors cog but this is way more than I've ever experienced. Diffs are fine, gear mesh is fine and motor + ESC are brand new. Any suggestions as to what would be causing this? I've taken a video of this to demonstrate the problem but I can't seem to post it here?

Cheers
Old 01-20-2013, 03:14 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by nathant123
Hi guys,

I'm having an issue with this Turnigy Trooper. I've upgraded ESC to a hobbywing 150A and a tenshock SC401 4600kv motor. Gearing is 15t pinion and 44t spur 17mm hex upgrade. It seems to cog way too violently when driving slow but once you accelerate hard, the cogging seems to go away. I understand that most brushless motors cog but this is way more than I've ever experienced. Diffs are fine, gear mesh is fine and motor + ESC are brand new. Any suggestions as to what would be causing this? I've taken a video of this to demonstrate the problem but I can't seem to post it here?

Cheers
I've not much experience with SC stuff but that tells me its running sensorless mode.
Old 01-20-2013, 03:17 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by cyanyde
I've not much experience with SC stuff but that tells me its running sensorless mode.
Thanks for the quick response however this motor is a sensorless motor. I've run other sensorless motor as well and none have cogged this violently.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:21 AM
Tech Master

Are your other motors this fast (4000+kv)?

Cogging gets worse the higher the motor kv so... Just an assumption
Old 01-23-2013, 12:01 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by cyanyde
Are your other motors this fast (4000+kv)?

Cogging gets worse the higher the motor kv so... Just an assumption
I ended up putting the mmp back in and the violent cogging went away instantly so I'm assuming its a problem with the hobbywing esc. Unfortunately though the mmp overheats after a few mins running the tenshock motor so I cant win
Old 01-23-2013, 12:44 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by nathant123
I ended up putting the mmp back in and the violent cogging went away instantly so I'm assuming its a problem with the hobbywing esc. Unfortunately though the mmp overheats after a few mins running the tenshock motor so I cant win
Try gearing down to stop the overheating. Once the correct ratio is found, use the HW esc again. The cogging could be due to too much load.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:49 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

where do you buy spur gears ?