R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-18-2013, 05:42 PM   #1
Tech Initiate

Default Electric track surface options

Hi,

I'm trying to build an on road indoor RC track in Mexico City. The available space is 400m2 (1312 square ft). It used to be an indoor soccer field. Right now it has a synthetic grass with small rubber balls.

I can't remove the synthetic grass because they want to keep it in case the reuse the soccer field latter on. Also it can't glue anything on the grass that would ruin it.

What are my options for the surface of the track? I would like to run initially 1/10 scale electric and later on 1/12 and F1.

I was thinking of carpet but I would need to glue it, right? Also, is there an alternative to Ozite and Fasttrack carpet? The cost of the carpet is high and the shipping charges to Mexico would be expensive.

My other option would be to make an Off-road track, but this category is not very big in Mexico, so that would be an issue.

Attached are some pictures of the field.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Best regards,

Juan
jherrero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:54 PM   #2
Tech Initiate

I wasn't able to post the pictures from another site. I'll try another way...
Old 01-18-2013, 05:55 PM   #3
Tech Initiate

Does anyone know if foam tiles that are used at the weight rooms of gyms would work?

Thanks!
Old 01-18-2013, 06:02 PM   #4
Tech Initiate

Electric track surface options-pista1.jpg

Electric track surface options-pista2.jpg

Electric track surface options-pista3.jpg
Old 01-18-2013, 06:10 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jherrero View Post
Does anyone know if foam tiles that are used at the weight rooms of gyms would work?

Thanks!
In the old days we would run on basketball courts with foam tires but you had to roll them on silicon on a square plywood untill they dried. back then you would want them with short wiskers on them to get traction. But now you can do the same with foam by spinning it slowly to get it smooth. Just put some soapy water on your finger to get it the thickness that works for you. It's what all of the dirt oval guys used for years. If you have red clay you can get it smooth enough onroad cars will work great. I ran one of my F1 cars on a smooth dirt oval and did not even get the chassis dirty after 4 laps. You can do it, just find the clay. I hope your area has it.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:20 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

After looking at the pics ask them if you could laydown plywood with a flat black surface maybe mixing some sand in the painted surface. I don't think it would hurt the surface of the court and you can store it anywhere after the race with a little help.It's a big place but you may not need the whole area. Talk to them and see since onroad is not very dirty racing Unless I showup.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:24 PM   #7
Tech Champion

At the IIC every year they build a wood floor on top of the carpet in the hotel ball room and lay down the carpet on top of that. Maybe they will let you do that?

Check out the video on this page that shows them building it.
http://www.intchamps.com/history.php
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:31 PM   #8
Tech Initiate

Thanks for the answers! I think wood under carpet is going to be the best option. Are there any options of carpet besides the "pro" ones?
Old 01-18-2013, 06:33 PM   #9
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspGadgt View Post

Check out the video on this page that shows them building it.
What type of wood do you think they use at the IIC? And how do they make sure the wood stays together and not move with the cars?
Old 01-18-2013, 07:49 PM   #10
Regional Moderator

Quote:
What type of wood do you think they use at the IIC? And how do they make sure the wood stays together and not move with the cars?
2x4s laid flat as stringers, with 4x8 sheets of OSB (cheaper) or plywood screwed down using 1 1/2" drywall screws as a subfloor.
CarbonJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:09 PM   #11
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Quote:
Mini-Z's race on a similar surface called RCP. It's expensive though. The cheap people will buy those gym mats and flip them over to race on the rough side. I don't know how well it would work with 1/10, but I setup a track to do it with 1/24 in my basement and it was fun.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:13 PM   #12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

We made a very temporary track at a car show on the concrete floor with tar paper. It was inexpensive, but wasn't the greatest surface. We used duct tape to hold the pieces together and to the floor. Since tar paper comes on rolls, it is easy to transport.

USVTA member #111
NutDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:39 PM   #13
Tech Champion

Quote:
Contact Scotty at that website...I'm sure he'll help get you the specs on how to properly build it.
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:16 AM   #14
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonJoe View Post
2x4s laid flat as stringers, with 4x8 sheets of OSB (cheaper) or plywood screwed down using 1 1/2" drywall screws as a subfloor.
Thanks for that info. I think I'm going to go with that. Are those flat stringers held down with something?
Old 01-19-2013, 10:17 AM   #15
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
Mini-Z's race on a similar surface called RCP. It's expensive though. The cheap people will buy those gym mats and flip them over to race on the rough side. I don't know how well it would work with 1/10, but I setup a track to do it with 1/24 in my basement and it was fun.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Thanks!

Has anyone tried 1/10 scale with these gym mats?