Transponder

Old 01-18-2013, 08:23 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default Transponder

What transponder is better? My laps? or the MRT? I've been using the AMBRC and recently getting into electric touring cars and racing nitro TC's sometimes ill be able to race both the same day and can't use just 1 transponder..
Old 01-18-2013, 12:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JOE SI
What transponder is better? My laps? or the MRT? I've been using the AMBRC and recently getting into electric touring cars and racing nitro TC's sometimes ill be able to race both the same day and can't use just 1 transponder..
I'd go with any of the MyLaps RC4 Hybrid or AMB ones since the MRT ones may not be compatible with the new decoder software coming out.

Last edited by cdwilliams1; 01-18-2013 at 01:28 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-18-2013, 12:30 PM
Tech Champion

From what I've heard the new decoder hardware will not be compatible with any of the current transponders as it is a completely different system. If AMB goes through with their plans they will be royally screwing racers and tracks. I doubt we'll see tracks converting to the new system any time soon.

So long as your track is using a current or older AMB system any of those transponders should work fine. The nice thing about the MRTs is they are less expensive and you can get them all cloned to the same number so you only have to remember one. I bought a used AMB to get my current MRTs cloned...I just haven't had a chance to send them in yet.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by InspGadgt
From what I've heard the new decoder hardware will not be compatible with any of the current transponders as it is a completely different system. If AMB goes through with their plans they will be royally screwing racers and tracks. I doubt we'll see tracks converting to the new system any time soon.

So long as your track is using a current or older AMB system any of those transponders should work fine. The nice thing about the MRTs is they are less expensive and you can get them all cloned to the same number so you only have to remember one. I bought a used AMB to get my current MRTs cloned...I just haven't had a chance to send them in yet.
Our track has already made the conversion to the new decoder software on the offroad side, onroad side is coming soon.

The AMBrc DP, MyLaps RC4 Hybrid, and MyLaps PureRC will all work with version 4 of the AMB decoders.

If your track is running older AMB decoders, the PureRC will not work, but the MRT WILL work.

To be on the safe side, and get one that will work in any case - get the AMBrc DP or MyLaps RC4 Hybrid.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:58 PM
Tech Champion

The decoder is hardware not software.

If the AMBrc works with the new one then the MRT should as well as it exactly clones the magnetic signature of the AMBrc.

However I'm not sure the RC4 system is the same one that AMB/MyLaps contacted our new track owner about as he was quoted that new personal transponders at wholesale were going to be near $300. It sounded to him like it was a new system that had not been released yet. If the RC4 is the new system then I'm glad they decided not to go with what they described to us.

Too bad the RC4 transponder isn't backward compatible...for the $35 upgrade fee I'd upgrade all of mine in a heartbeat.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

If the AMBrc works with the new one then the MRT should as well as it exactly clones the magnetic signature of the AMBrc.
These are the facts

An MRT will not work with the RC4 decoder, period,
it will count some laps and not others, some will just wont even get picked up at all

the New RC4 transponder will noly work with the new RC4 decoder
The RC4 hybrid and all previous models are compatable with the RC4.

Beth.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:03 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by JOE SI
Go for the older Mylaps hybrid. The latest Mylaps transponder will only work with the latest decoder and because Mylaps have tweaked it so MRTs are unreliable, certainly here in the UK a lot of clubs won't be upgrading to the latest decoder software as an awful lot of drivers use MRTs. If you go for the Pure then you can only use it at tracks that have upgraded their decoders to the latest firmware.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

How do the cloned ones work? Same number different transponder, same number for 2 different cars? The PC would recognize that 2 #'s are in different heats and count laps for both heats?
Old 01-18-2013, 04:26 PM
Tech Champion

Absolutely...it is essentially the same as if you used the same transponder for 2 cars and just switched it to the other car between heats.

RCLaps also now offers multiple transponders on the same number. You can get up to 7 on the same number through them.