Wiki Posts
Search

"Upside Down" Setup station?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 07:11 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Smile "Upside Down" Setup station?

Does anyone know of any other "Upside Down" setup station on the market (like the H.A.R.D RACING H71011) that has the camber gauge readout on the top vs. the bottom like everyone else has? I get tired of the front bumper blocking the camber gauge lines when trying to setup the front suspension. When making adjustments or checking the camber settings on 3 different sedans it gets time consuming to remove the bumpers from each at times.

I saw an old setup station from Team Magic that had camber gauging on the top like the H.A.R.D system but I do not think it is available anymore. Any ideas on other options available and where to purchase?

Link to the H.A.R.D Racing setup station >>>>> http://www.hard-racing.com/productio...7101&pageNum=3
Attached Thumbnails "Upside Down" Setup station?-img_20130117_093914.jpg   "Upside Down" Setup station?-img_20130117_093719.jpg   "Upside Down" Setup station?-img_20130117_093623.jpg  
Old 01-17-2013, 09:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

I make all marks visible from rear of car where I can see all 4 wheel settings at one time ... problem solved .. I have used 3 different set up stations and all work the same . Never have ever had to remove number to see settings
Old 01-17-2013, 10:29 AM
Tech Master

As JLFX says, just use it the other way round. There's no reason you have to mount the gauges on the front end so the scale is pointing forwards, to adjust camber just mount them so the gauges are at the rear.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:10 AM
Tech Regular

<sigh> Thanks guys for the input but Yep, I have done that and do flip the gauges backwards on my 417's but unfortunately that is not my question today. When I help others at the track setup their cars you cannot always flip them as the gauges may contact certain WIDE tub chassis cars like a TC3, so you must mount them facing forward at times.

Also if you want to turn the front wheels to witness caster induced camber gain (visual way of teaching newbies about this phenomenon) the reverse mounted gauges can hit the chassis where they do not if mounted facing forward.

There are other reasons but you can understand why I asked my original question if there were other "UPSIDE DOWN" setup stations available on the market. If someone knows of one please list a link to it, Thanks!

Last edited by SS LS1; 01-17-2013 at 11:22 AM.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:43 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I have this one, and am very happy with it:
http://www.integy.com/st_prod.html?p...3#.UPhTmzWWyNo

The camber readout is positioned low, but the chassis is held higher off the table so the readout is not obscured by anything. I only need to remove the bumper if I'm measuring steering throw. I also find the toe gauge slightly easier to read than the clear plastic ones (eyesight not what it used to be )
Old 01-17-2013, 01:21 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Steve S
I have this one, and am very happy with it:
http://www.integy.com/st_prod.html?p...3#.UPhTmzWWyNo

The camber readout is positioned low, but the chassis is held higher off the table so the readout is not obscured by anything. I only need to remove the bumper if I'm measuring steering throw. I also find the toe gauge slightly easier to read than the clear plastic ones (eyesight not what it used to be )
Thanks for posting Steve, that one does look quite tall compared to most setup stations. Is it pretty stable when working with it? So the steering angle gauge then goes under the car rather than over the car when in use?
Old 01-17-2013, 08:35 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Yes, it's perfectly stable. Correct, the toe gauge goes under the car. Easy to read, and no chance of interference with body posts.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

How much are these setup tools and who sells it?
Old 01-18-2013, 10:40 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Integy specs setup station
http://www.integy.com/st_prod.html?p...57&p_catid=163
Old 01-19-2013, 06:52 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by The Captain
Sorry Captain, I don't get it as the station you posted is just like the others with the camber readings on the bottom. I'm looking for setup stations with the readings on the top. Anybody else have any ideas?
Old 01-30-2013, 12:27 PM
Tech Regular

Anybody else know of an upside down system like the H.A.R.D setup station that is not $160?
Old 01-30-2013, 07:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

sent you a PM
Old 01-30-2013, 11:46 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Hi mate. I can't help u with a proper up side down setup station but maybe something like my older integy setup station still exists. It has the camber lines a bit higher. It also only uses 1 plate to mount against the wheel hex with no frame.

Sorry if its not exactly what you are after but it may still work if u can find one.

Regards,

Simon
Attached Thumbnails &quot;Upside Down&quot; Setup station?-image.jpg  
Old 01-31-2013, 11:00 AM
Tech Regular

Hello Simon,thank you for your reply and taking time to post up a photo of your setup.

That setup station is unique and very narrow which I like. It is lacking a "T" shaped base so I can see where using it on a level surface would be critical to get an accurate reading. Hence requiring the setup board you are using in the photo that can be leveled with the screw legs.

It is interesting to see the various designs available out there for setting up your car.