R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-15-2013, 04:39 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Unhappy Tekin RS HELP PLEASE!

Hi everyone i am very new at this rc stuff so please dont down me too much.

I bought my first pan car a Team Associated 10RS5 i have a Tekin RS ESC, a SMC Lightning Volts 3.7volt 4000mAh battery, and a Trinity D3.5 17.5 turn motor, a DX3C Spektrum Controller and reciever.

Anyways i have everything set up except i dont have the LiFE battery because they were out of them today, the steering works fine i calibrated the Tekin RS and i also have the Hotwire for the Tekin RS, i hooked it up and made sure the Tekin RS was set for a 1S battery and a Brushless motor. My motor isnt working its brand new never been ran its a Trinity D3.5. My Tekin RS also doesnt make any beeping noise but when i use throttle i can see it registering on the LEDs on the ESC. Do i have to have the LiFE battery Hooked up to the reciever for the motor to work? or is something else wrong. I spoke to a guy today an he said the life battery was just in case my other battery got low on voltage i wouldnt lose steering and my motor should still work. I soldered the motor correctly A is on A and so fourth. i just dont get whats wrong is there a setting im missing?

Please Help i just spent 800$ on this setup i cant even use lol
jlaudiosw7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:49 PM   #2
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

you need a rx pack or a voltage booster,in 1s it will not work until you do.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:53 PM   #3
Tech Rookie

ok thats what i thought because it boots to 6.6 volts which i dont think the esc will work until it sees that voltage, old guy at the hobby shop said it didnt matter. Thank you very much for your reply and a fast one at that. do you have any options on using this hotwire? im trying to run in an oval carpet class idk if i can run boost or what
Old 01-15-2013, 04:56 PM   #4
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlaudiosw7 View Post
Hi everyone i am very new at this rc stuff so please dont down me too much.

I bought my first pan car a Team Associated 10RS5 i have a Tekin RS ESC, a SMC Lightning Volts 3.7volt 4000mAh battery, and a Trinity D3.5 17.5 turn motor, a DX3C Spektrum Controller and reciever.

Anyways i have everything set up except i dont have the LiFE battery because they were out of them today, the steering works fine i calibrated the Tekin RS and i also have the Hotwire for the Tekin RS, i hooked it up and made sure the Tekin RS was set for a 1S battery and a Brushless motor. My motor isnt working its brand new never been ran its a Trinity D3.5. My Tekin RS also doesnt make any beeping noise but when i use throttle i can see it registering on the LEDs on the ESC. Do i have to have the LiFE battery Hooked up to the reciever for the motor to work? or is something else wrong. I spoke to a guy today an he said the life battery was just in case my other battery got low on voltage i wouldnt lose steering and my motor should still work. I soldered the motor correctly A is on A and so fourth. i just dont get whats wrong is there a setting im missing?

Please Help i just spent 800$ on this setup i cant even use lol
I used a small 2S LiPo with mine (800mah)....I have heard some have had problems with them from the extra voltage to the servo..I never did.
Mike Pulfer is my HERO....
scootr117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:56 PM   #5
Tech Rookie

also is a LiFE battery considered the voltage booster? im suppose to run it. and i was told running two batteries if i dont hook it up a certain way that i can burn something up, do you have any insight on this?
Old 01-15-2013, 04:57 PM   #6
Tech Rookie

my buddy runs a 2S LiPO 250mah i was told the voltage may be too much for and burn my equipment up so i didnt, but i really dont know
Old 01-15-2013, 04:59 PM   #7
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Randy_Pike

The 2s li-fe pack is fine. It only produces about 7-6v nominal and will not cause damage when plugged into the receiver as intended.

Tekin,Protek,A-Main Hobbies,JConcepts,Avid RC,Yokomo,MIP,SikLidz,FactoryRC, www.randypikerc.com
Randy_Pike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:02 PM   #8
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy_Pike View Post
The 2s li-fe pack is fine. It only produces about 7-6v nominal and will not cause damage when plugged into the receiver as intended.
So i wouldnt need to wire it any special way? just plug it directly into the BIND port on the reciever?
Old 01-15-2013, 05:06 PM   #9
Tech Fanatic

I used a Futaba in the 12th scale and a KO servo in the WGT...no problems..I mistyped the MAH....it was 180. I bought it from Tony at Power Push.
It plugged into the radio receiver B+ and it has a on/off switch on it. The only thing was to leave the ESC switch in the OFF position when using the receiver pack. The Hotwire is a great tool to adjust the speedo. Download the instructions if you haven't got them...if your using it in Blinky....it has a check box to lock it.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:13 PM   #10
Tech Rookie

well thank you for your replies, Im not sure what blinky modes is but i have heard of it and i cant get the manual because its down on the website or was for me. also im a bit confused on leaving the battery switched off to the esc. i have an SMC Lightning Volts 3.7 hooked to it which i was told is just to run the motor and the LiFE just to run reciver. but my question would be if i switch the esc to off position how does the motor operate...I am a extreme noob im not tryin to say you are wrong by no means, im just trying to understand how it works. but i fully understand if you dont feel like explaining it, nobody likes noobs...haha
Old 01-15-2013, 05:27 PM   #11
Tech Fanatic

The receiver pack powers the servo and sends signal power to trigger the ESC...the ESC is acting as a variable relay and switching power from your 3.7 volt battery to your motor. So the small receiver pack is just operating the radio system including the servo. On a car/truck with a 7.4 battery the wires from the ESC powers the radio system and an external battery is not needed.
Blinky is just a slang term for the timing being locked (no turbo or boost) It got the name from the blinking lights on the speed controls that helped tech determine it was enabled.
We were all new to this a one time..that is why this forum exists...and to gripe

Last edited by scootr117; 01-15-2013 at 05:29 PM. Reason: ...
Old 01-15-2013, 05:37 PM   #12
Tech Rookie

so your saying i wont even need the esc switched on and its still going to draw power from the 3.7 because the reciever is going to turn it on...hmm if thats what your saying it does make sense...and the only reason the power switch is there is if i was running a bigger battery such as a 7.4 of which it would power both... all makes sense now if im understanding it correctly
Old 01-15-2013, 05:38 PM   #13
Tech Rookie

also would you happen to know if in the 1/10 scale oval carpet racing with roar spec rules, if it has to be in blinky mode?
Old 01-15-2013, 05:39 PM   #14
Tech Champion

With the RS when using an external RX pack or booster you turn on both the external power and the RS. If you don't then the voltage cut off is disabled. The RS will work if you don't turn it on...but the auto cut off to prevent over discharging the LiPo battery will not.
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:35 PM   #15
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to JimmyMack12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlaudiosw7 View Post
also would you happen to know if in the 1/10 scale oval carpet racing with roar spec rules, if it has to be in blinky mode?
What class are you looking to run in? There's a LOT of carpet oval classes (TOUR classes plus whatever your local track may run). That info would help us to help *you* out
JimmyMack12 is offline   Reply With Quote