Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
OFNA Ultra GTP2E top speed goal 110mph (4now) >

OFNA Ultra GTP2E top speed goal 110mph (4now)

OFNA Ultra GTP2E top speed goal 110mph (4now)

Old 05-22-2012, 10:17 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default OFNA Ultra GTP2E top speed goal 110mph (4now)

I'm going for top speed on my ultra GTP2 E. Purchased it last week on a whim. In my 20+ years of RCing and off road racing I thought IDE give it a shot. Tekin T8 2250kv/ RX8 combo on 2 2s 120c 5450ma maxamps in series, losi oval track blocks, rear frame mount buggy wing, custom aero mods and a custom 40t spur (32t spur test this weekend) /24t pinion. Hit 87.5 mph on radar and gps alike on 18 high speed passes (3 sets on topped off batts for each set). The last 4 where +\- 3mph of that 87.5 (averaged). On my start of the last set of the day first run blew a rear bead at around 90 and took flight sideways up into the trees, lol. I'm now in the process of building a home made 1/8 wind tunnel. My parts include one .046 stihl chainsaw motor, 10 ton a/c air handler squirrel cage, 1/4 lean, chicken wire, some pulleys and belts. My attempt will be to mount fan as to pull air thru tunnel not push as I've seen with some leaf blower adaptations. So as not to add unwanted turbulence due to fan wash. My platform has four scales under tire seats ( one each tire) and one cantilever arm thru platform floor at a 1:1 ratio attached to scale as to measure for to aft drag coefficient. Smoke will also be applied via wand. Will shoot some pics wen time slots as I am working to damn much and playing in whatever time in between. Any input would be greatly appreciated. My goal is 110mph on 4s so we will see where it leads too. I know I need to move my tire selection to foam unless there is any suggestions out there (XO1 tires)? Thanks for lookin.
Old 05-22-2012, 11:50 AM
Tech Master

Looking forward to seeing some wind tunnel pics. Sounds like you've thought the details through pretty thoroughly and know what you're doing.
Old 05-22-2012, 03:14 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I would like to see pics of the car also. Why only 4s? you would easily break your goal on 6s
Old 05-23-2012, 08:49 AM
Tech Initiate

Thanks samnelso. Gonna try to post some pics this weekend ( not so computer savy). And Phildoggg ofcoarse it could be done on 6s but the point is to smoke my buddies running 6s in the beloved XO-1's. I have a fellow local enthusiast that has just this past weekend broke past 138mph on his 4s GTP. It's all about aero/power efficiency. I could just
strap 4 k solid rocket motors to it and break 450mph. My next goal will to break 100 on 2s so you might see the method to my madness. Thanks for looking guys. Will get pics up of car ASAP and hopefully get something that resembles a wind tunnel bye weekends end. Latr
Old 01-15-2013, 11:54 AM
Tech Rookie

sorry to bring this back from the dead. do u have any updates on this car? been thinking bout building one for 110-120mph.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

probably not, he hasnt been online since June last year