Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to micros_rock

Quote:
Originally posted by axel
so bottom line for stock?

zero:

or

0.9:
Well, you could read what people posted...
Basically:
When you discharge a pack with a discharger tha only connects to the + and - end of the pack, have the cut off at 5.4v (0.9v/cell) Using a tray, you can take each cell down to 0.0v individually, so they are equalized. Traying packs definately helps keep the pack as strong as possible without hurting it, which dead shorting could.
micros_rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 01:24 AM   #17
Tech Master

AXEL. Yes, if you don't pay for your cells. Dead shorting gives power but only for a short time.

As for discharging with a discharger that simply connects + and -, forget it. Try your cells with a seperate cell discharger - a tray, and see how even the best cells don't discharge equally. Now imagine a situation where one cell has discharged quite a bit more than the other 5. You connect your + and - discharger which reduces the overall voltage to say 5 volts. It does not know that a particular cell is already lower and works on averages.

Result: you have say 4 cells at 1 volt each, 1 cells at 1.5 volts. The other cell will be reversed.......and ruined for life.

The only way to discharge safely is with a tray that discharges each cell independently to a pre determined voltage.
johnbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 06:04 AM   #18
Tech Elite

I'm with John Bull...

I pay my packs myself And at my level, an improvement of 6*0,015 volt (best case) wont make much difference anyway... So I've choosed the safe way.

Point is, my biggest limititation is track time. For the last year, maybe two, I've only been able to reach the track twice per month.

So... I suggest you try take a look at yourself, and do an analysis: What's your biggest limitation? When you know that, aim for improving that.

In many cases - not all though - the biggest improvements can be done through practising. Better driving lines, not being too obsessed by the need for winning, more safe driving, and a prepared car, which's able to finish the race...
Old 04-20-2005, 09:25 AM   #19
Tech Rookie

So, is it ok to use a discharge tray and equalize the batts down to 09.v per cell and store them for a week?
apollyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 11:46 PM   #20
Tech Master

is the indi zero 6s good for stock?
axel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 12:01 AM   #21
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by picco007
A couple of years ago, I bought a rayspeed discharge tray. I liked the concept of it and the way it looked. It has Ni-cd and a Ni-mh setting. Along with that is a equalizing and a conditioning mode. Then I heard that if you bring down your cells to zero volts slowly, you can increase your runtime and voltage and decrease your IR numbers too (from what I heard). I started doing that with a few new sets of batteries. I have noticed that I never charge less that 4000 mah's and my runtime has stayed the same with a few seconds lost off the labels.

Now I do bring my cells down to .9 for my touring car racing. So I use the rayspeed tray for that and it seems to be fine. The only thing is that the charge mah's are only 3000 to 3300 mah's on charge which makes me think that there is no way that I'm getting that runtime that I had.

I have been trying the zero volts tray thing for a about 5 or 6 race days and so far it's been good. This is for 12th mod racing where runtime is a must. I have those integy 6s trays and I start traying my cells about 3 hours before I start charging my packs at the track and like I said above, I charge my cells to 4000 to 4200 mah's every weekend.
the reason your mah is higher is because your taking the dead charge out of the pack. When you take the pack down to 0.9, there is dead charge left in the cells, hence the lower mah they will take.
(978) 416-2572
Hyperform Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 02:10 AM   #22
Tech Regular

Will equalizing a pack of batteries to zero volts have a shorter battery lifespan as compared to equalizing it to 0.9v?

Traying it to zero volts is not = to dead shorting the cells.
diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 10:44 PM   #23
Tech Master

What is a good tray for stock racing that will ensure saftey to my batteries?
Old 05-15-2005, 10:48 PM   #24
Tech Master

i'm thinking about either the smart tray or trinity absolute zero tray, and integy zero 6s
Old 05-15-2005, 10:55 PM   #25
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by johnbull
AXEL. Yes, if you don't pay for your cells. Dead shorting gives power but only for a short time.

As for discharging with a discharger that simply connects + and -, forget it. Try your cells with a seperate cell discharger - a tray, and see how even the best cells don't discharge equally. Now imagine a situation where one cell has discharged quite a bit more than the other 5. You connect your + and - discharger which reduces the overall voltage to say 5 volts. It does not know that a particular cell is already lower and works on averages.

Result: you have say 4 cells at 1 volt each, 1 cells at 1.5 volts. The other cell will be reversed.......and ruined for life.

The only way to discharge safely is with a tray that discharges each cell independently to a pre determined voltage.

The man speaks the truth as I learned it the hard way this weekend. I have the Integy 16x7v6 that can disharge at 30amps. I found out two of my cells were not discharging completely, my Integy didn't catch it but a friends Indi zero thirty tray did by discharging each cell.
vulso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 11:02 PM   #26
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by vulso
The man speaks the truth as I learned it the hard way this weekend. I have the Integy 16x7v6 that can disharge at 30amps. I found out two of my cells were not discharging completely, my Integy didn't catch it but a friends Indi zero thirty tray did by discharging each cell.
that sucks about your discharging issue. Does the integy zero thirty tray eqyalize or just dishcharge? I also need help if you go ttt of this thread it shows my tray. I'm not sure what i'm doing wrong but my cells aren't chraging like they did before they chraged at 3500-3600 when they used to go to 3550-3700(all in one week). What should i do? i'm thinking it's my tray, but i don't know, but today i cycled my batts at 6amp when i used to do it at 5amps, would this make a difference?

thanks

Last edited by axel; 05-15-2005 at 11:12 PM.
Old 05-15-2005, 11:21 PM   #27
Tech Master

help? please?
Old 05-16-2005, 04:10 AM   #28
Tech Master

Axel,

I think we are all agreed that discharging to ZERO and below, whilst helping increase power, does so very temporarily, so a discharger that doesn't give you any choice is not such a good idea. You don't really want to dead short or discharge to zero all the time, unless someone else is paying for your cells.

I have tried quite a few different discharging devices and find the Novak Smart Tray best and most versatile. It allows you to discharge just as you please. And you can also dead short with it if you like.

I don't know of any other that is so versatile. I think the biggest proof of this is our own team performance. My son has just won his 7th National title, using just 3 packs of Corally GP3300s for the 30 race series with his mod TC4. At the end of the season, the cells are still as good as they were in the beginning. I monitor them regularly.

And Josh's cells from last season were used this season by a young lad racing in super stock, whose TC3 was more often than not the quickest car in the class.

Just proves that good care for your cells is the trick.
johnbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 06:16 AM   #29
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by axel
that sucks about your discharging issue. Does the integy zero thirty tray eqyalize or just dishcharge? I also need help if you go ttt of this thread it shows my tray. I'm not sure what i'm doing wrong but my cells aren't chraging like they did before they chraged at 3500-3600 when they used to go to 3550-3700(all in one week). What should i do? i'm thinking it's my tray, but i don't know, but today i cycled my batts at 6amp when i used to do it at 5amps, would this make a difference?

thanks
Axel,
The Zero Thirty discharges the cells down to zero at 30amps. It does it by each individual cell, it uses three resistors. I sat there and watched it, it has six little light bulbs and each one goes out when each cell is finished. I run two 3300 Fusion packs in stock racing and I charge at 6 amps and was discharging @ 30amps through my 16x7. Now I see I am going to have to get a tray that discharges each individual cell. Anyway, after my pack came off the tray it charged up to 4000mah and felt like brand new again!
The pack was only charging to 2600mah before hand, it was my last two cells that weren't discharging all the way and was the source of my problem and without any help and the tray I would be false peaking and dumping along with hitting the boards!
vulso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 11:47 AM   #30
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by vulso
Axel,
The Zero Thirty discharges the cells down to zero at 30amps. It does it by each individual cell, it uses three resistors. I sat there and watched it, it has six little light bulbs and each one goes out when each cell is finished. I run two 3300 Fusion packs in stock racing and I charge at 6 amps and was discharging @ 30amps through my 16x7. Now I see I am going to have to get a tray that discharges each individual cell. Anyway, after my pack came off the tray it charged up to 4000mah and felt like brand new again!
The pack was only charging to 2600mah before hand, it was my last two cells that weren't discharging all the way and was the source of my problem and without any help and the tray I would be false peaking and dumping along with hitting the boards!

what tray are you using? I'm really considering the smart tray now. AND WOW!!!! 2600mah ll the way to 4000mah!!!, that is what i'm looking for.
Thanks