R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-09-2013, 05:02 PM   #1
Tech Initiate

Default Brushless motor info

Hello,
I have a question on motors the pros, like (groskamp) run, like what kv are they? Are they running boosted?

Say for the likes of IFMAR championship? I looked at the rules and read on the motors what looks like 6.5 and 5.5T but nothing actually written about the KV or turns. I appears quite vague. So you have a choice it seems yet all cars ive seen racing seem the same speed.

I also read its to be a '05 size motor. What is that?

Any help would be appreciated
Cheers

Last edited by SpecRC; 01-09-2013 at 10:05 PM.
SpecRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:41 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)

1/10 sedan runs 540 size can motors. The "T" in 6.5T is short for turns, thus they are running 5.5 or 6.5 turns. Every mfg is slightly different in the kv per turn so you will need to try to track that down separately.

Next if they are running "blinky" there is no timing or turbo allowed.

That said I get the feeling that you are fairly new and those are very very fast. For someone new to on-road it will be a handful. Might want to start with either VTA (25.5) or 17.5 sedan blinky to dip your toe. Once you have gotten your hands around that look to move to a hotter motor.
mkiiina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:53 PM   #3
Tech Initiate

Ive played around with rc for abit but just trying to understand a few things about the pro level. I know they hit speeds of 120 kph So trying to see what turns there running or kv

Im aware that dif motors are dif kv hence im curious as to what they run as ive seen there races on the web and they appear the same speed.
In the rules it doesnt state which motor to use so is that call on the day they make? They must be all using the same motors but what is it lol

What is a '05 size motor? Its in the rules for 1/10 ifmar Championship
Old 01-09-2013, 07:07 PM   #4
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecRC View Post
Ive played around with rc for abit but just trying to understand a few things about the pro level. I know they hit speeds of 120 kph So trying to see what turns there running or kv

Im aware that dif motors are dif kv hence im curious as to what they run as ive seen there races on the web and they appear the same speed.
In the rules it doesnt state which motor to use so is that call on the day they make? They must be all using the same motors but what is it lol

What is a '05 size motor? Its in the rules for 1/10 ifmar Championship
Usually mod is 10.5 or lower (think the BRCA rules were 10.5 for mod, not sure why) and there are plenty of stock classes above that with different rules regarding boost. Drivers running a series that allows any motors/ESC settings will usually choose a motor that suits the track the best. Say for a big open track with a long straight you could run 5.5 or 4.5 in a touring car, but for a much tighter technical track you may want to run something a bit slower to give you a more usable power band. You could also start adding boost and timing with the ESC and run a higher turn motor if you wanted, but you would need to make sure you can keep the temps down. It really depends on where you're running and what series/car you are running. Some series wont allow you to run a lower turn motor so you have to get your ESC settings right instead, playing around with boost and whatever features your ESC has will change the characteristics of the power delivery and obviously change the straight line speed too. If you want to know the kV of a motor then find the manufacturer website and look up the specs, that will help to give you an idea. I know Reedy, LRP and Speed Passion have a table of all their motors with a load of specs, I'd assume other manufacturers do too.

What it comes down to is picking the right motor for the car, track and your driving style, that is of course providing the series has no restrictions. I think a lot of the top drivers will run around 5.5T pretty much everywhere, although I'm not sure if they're running any boost on top of that - I wouldn't have thought you would need it on a lot of tracks.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:29 PM   #5
Tech Initiate

Thanks again fuzzion so helpful!

Any insight to what is classified as a '05 motor? Is it what they call a 540?

I agree with what you are saying here. Its just there no hard and fast rules it seems when browsing the IFMAR rule book. 5.5T seems about right though when i look at the rules:
http://www.ifmar.org/pdf/electric/20...st.%20pdf2.pdf

More or less im just intrigued to see what there running, so I can gauge the speed/motor I want for future potential.

I will be using timing and boost but indeed watching over it.

Can you give rep on this forum? I gladly hand you some!
Old 01-09-2013, 08:10 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)

You gear/motor for the track you are going to run on. I don't see in that pdf where you are referencing a '05 motor? KV is used to calculate the peak rpm.

KV * voltage = peak rpm

ie.

1000 kv motor * 7.4 (nominal 2s lipo) = 7400 rpms

It's all personal preference. Unless the rules explicitly state a motor (or its a handout race) its whatever you want. Most mod guys run between 6.5-4.5, again it depends on where they are running. For example at our track the mod and 17.5 guys run very similiar lap times and after a 6 min run are only a lap or 2 apart. This means the mod guys cannot use the higher speed as much (relatively short straight and then a technical infield) so they stay close with the 17.5 guys.
mkiiina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:02 PM   #7
Tech Initiate

Ok thanks.
Have a look at these rules:
http://www.ifmar.org/pdf/rules/ifmar...otors_2012.pdf

Sorry that was just a pdf on motors not so much on the rules. Look up number 4 and 5 reference to '05 size brushless motors
Old 01-10-2013, 04:15 AM   #8
Tech Initiate

Does anyone know what '05 size means?
Old 01-10-2013, 07:29 PM   #9
Tech Adept

Quote:
Pretty sure that's just another way of saying a 540 size motor.
Old 01-11-2013, 02:57 PM   #10
Tech Regular

Quote:
I think it relates back to the original days of brushed closed can motors which were either Mabuchi 540 or Igarashi 05 motors.

The dimensions were carried forward into the motors which allowed brushes to be changed these became generically 540 motors.

The brushless revolution came and naturally followed the same dimensions so became 540 size again but are the same size as the 05 from the beginning.
Barry_Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:01 PM   #11
Tech Regular

Quote:
im curious as to what they run as ive seen there races on the web and they appear the same speed.
The pros will use the motors of the motor manfacturer they are sponsored by.

The speeds will be fairly similar because these guys know how to set up the car, esc, motor, how to prep the tyres and get the best for the track they are running on.

That's why they are the pro's and why they are at the top of the tree.
Barry_Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote