Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree15Likes

HPI WR8 Flux/Ken Block H.F.H.V. Rally Car Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2017, 11:57 AM
Tech Rookie

Hi,
I own one for about 1 month now and having a ton of fun with it. The stock tires are excellent for drifting on clay surface, but on tarmac they have way too much grip.
I saw a dozen pages back that some used TGX tires but i didn't understand exactly if they fit on 2.2" HPI rims or if it needed TGX rims too.

Do HPI have a modified version of the stock tires for their drifting videos ?

Also, if someone knows where i can find a 2012 Gymkhana 5 bodyshell, I'd be pleased.
Old 02-19-2017, 06:07 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Been awhile since I've seen any promo video for it. Most likely just picked right surface. I can slide mine easy on couple parking lots in my area.

eBay might be only chance for finding older body. Hpi couldn't sell the body alone.
Old 03-01-2017, 06:03 AM
Tech Rookie

After about a month this car is awesome and by far my favorite its surprisingly good off road on loose gravel and can even hang on the rougher terrain. First thing I had to do is change the servo since the stock on is total trash.

I ended up locking the rear diff using a spool from the sport 3 flux and put 50k diff oil up front makes it even better offroad. Spektrum servo and Spektrum avc makes it drive so straight and stable. Also I found that mine came with jato shocks in the rear and integy in the front. Integy shocks suck so i decided since it can fit traxxas jato shocks it can fit revo gtr shocks which are huge and perfect for jumping. I only had to use jato springs cuz the revo springs were way too stiff.
Old 03-13-2017, 02:20 PM
Tech Rookie

Picked up the WR8 this past weekend and man what an awesome car. I had it out this weekend and power slid right into a curb. Broke the tie bar and the knuckle. I picked up replacement parts today and will be fixing it.

I did a couple speed tests and came up with an average speed of 29mph. Does that sound about right? Running a 2S, 5000mh, 25C battery. Pretty happy with the speed and all just curious. Also I picked up a castle tuning cable and software. I was reading that the ESC has updates to help with the fan and general stability of the esc. I will check it out tonight and get back with you guys!

Also, looking to run a set of drift tires and rims. Any recommendations to fit the wr8?
Old 03-13-2017, 03:47 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

That sounds about right you would gain some major speed with 3s lipo. Experimenting with some wider rear race compound slicks and wheels...thinking of some Pro-line shocks for stiffer on road driving conditions. Might just end up converting one car to on road only with a CF Exotek chassis upgrade. I love my WR8's.

Old 03-13-2017, 05:43 PM
Tech Prophet

^^^ what rear tires are you running Cuda? My second WR8 can run 6s. But blow the tires off the wheels.
Old 03-13-2017, 05:56 PM

What are those front rims? They kinda stick out and that called my curiosity.
Old 03-13-2017, 06:37 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly
^^^ what rear tires are you running Cuda? My second WR8 can run 6s. But blow the tires off the wheels.
Yeah 6s would have that effect on the stock tires I would imagine

The rears are Kyosho wide race slicks on FW03 mesh wheels. Made for the Kyosho Super Ten and Hpi Super Nitro Rs4 oversize road cars...same hex size but can be hard to find.
Old 03-13-2017, 06:40 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Agusorgenp
What are those front rims? They kinda stick out and that called my curiosity.
Fifteen ten turbomac front wheels from the 2014 Ken Block Euro Version Digital Zebra WR8.
Old 03-13-2017, 07:30 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by Cudacharger
Yeah 6s would have that effect on the stock tires I would imagine

The rears are Kyosho wide race slicks on FW03 mesh wheels. Made for the Kyosho Super Ten and Hpi Super Nitro Rs4 oversize road cars...same hex size but can be hard to find.
4s was limit for stocks. I've been trying SuperRS4 slicks. Was suggested them. Could be just my ability to glue is great. I'll have to keep an eye out for those never thought to check Kyosho.

See a set of treaded tires on eBay. Also set on FW04 with slicks. Can't do now. Got next 2 cars already coming end of month.
Old 03-14-2017, 07:40 AM
Tech Rookie

Checked up on the each last night with the castle link software. 1.38beta was the latest version and that's what my esc had. Anyone have experience with the Integy parts? They look pretty. I could not enable logging on the esc. I was hoping to be able to get some baseline stats.
Old 03-14-2017, 06:40 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by bmoreawesom3
Checked up on the each last night with the castle link software. 1.38beta was the latest version and that's what my esc had. Anyone have experience with the Integy parts? They look pretty. I could not enable logging on the esc. I was hoping to be able to get some baseline stats.
I've used a few of their parts. Couple different aluminum hubs. Broken both plus the stock plastic. Not vehicles fault. Odd angle hits. Thing can take a beating. Almost all my broken parts have come from low speed oddball hits.
Old 03-16-2017, 09:32 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly

See a set of treaded tires on eBay. Also set on FW04 with slicks. Can't do now. Got next 2 cars already coming end of month.
Curious Billy what's coming at the end of the month....
Old 03-16-2017, 03:52 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by Cudacharger
Curious Billy what's coming at the end of the month....
I giving racing a chance this year. I'm giving F1 a shot. The Associated F1. And Yokomo has a RWD touring car. Based of their RWD drift car.
I ran 1 USGT based race last summer. Figure I'm there. Plus was very impressed. Actually stunned how well the F1 drove on the parking lot.
The Yokomo is just shot in dark. Have no idea if it will work. But I've got another interested. Who knows maybe we add a new class.
Here's the F1 group I'll be running in. 1 goal. Not to be last. With TC I'm racing for 4th place. Top 3 are 2 second a lap faster than me.

https://youtu.be/uJ-WYuD5yQM

Last edited by Billy Kelly; 03-16-2017 at 04:04 PM.
Old 03-16-2017, 06:43 PM
Tech Rookie

I am looking at the integy aluminum parts and wondering how much of an upgrade the anti bending plates are? Do they truly help or is it just for show? I realize the other parts are stronger than stock. Just curious what to be upgrading first.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.