Search
Like Tree15Likes

HPI WR8 Flux/Ken Block H.F.H.V. Rally Car Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2015, 01:08 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MikeGozz
I'd also go with a faster servo, upgraded servo saver, and the HD drive cups.

On 3s you will notice the stock drive cups will wear out rather quickly along with the dogbone pins. I ran the HD cups last season and I didn't even notice any wear on them. Definitely recommend them!

Also I'm selling a brand new built WR8 with lots of upgrades. If anyone is interested shoot me a reply or a message. The build/for sale thread is located here-

The price is negotiable 8-)

Mike
Thanks for the reply Mike, and sorry to see you're selling. You still have a lot of those aluminum parts? I'd be interested in buying the hop ups if you'd be willing to part them out.

Here's what I gather from your post for the HD cups ---- Tell me if this is correct:
HD diff/drive cups, 109920, 109924, 109925, and 2 109926s

did you find a fix for the pins or do you just replace them often?

Thanks! Let me know what you're willing to part out
Old 06-22-2015, 08:24 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default 2015 HB HPI RACING CHALLENGE Round 4 Rally cross A main

Another victory with my WR8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9a3ahtSDmo
Old 06-22-2015, 08:58 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Nice! Looks like fun! I wish the had a challenge on the east coast once and awhile...
Old 07-21-2015, 09:26 AM
Suspended

[QUOTE=fkmliu;14063769]Another victory with my WR8 QUOTE]

Cool video! Funny... I love my car. Matter of fact, I bought a bunch of aluminum hop-ups still NIP that I didn't even put on the car. Incase you want any, PM me.
Old 07-26-2015, 09:12 PM
Suspended

Tower ended up taking all my hip ups back since they are all n.i.p so forget what I said earlier guys about them being available.

However, while on the topic, I'm surprised my Ken Block hasn't so yet. In the short time I've owned it I've absolutely loved it. Definitely confused.
Old 12-15-2015, 04:22 AM
Tech Rookie

Hey guys!

I have ordered one of these bad boys, it should arrive sometime soon. Now, I have some questions.

1. Is it something critical that should be replaced / tuned right out of the box for casual running, nothing too extreme?

2. I used my HPI Blitz for asphalt / dirt / grass and just everyday running and i was very pleased with it. It has the old Flux 5700kv BL system with 18/88 gearing, plenty fast, plenty fun and durable. Now, is the WR8 a major upgrade? I mean is it any faster / has better torque, is it even able to run on the same terrain as the Blitz? Is it better onroad?

And 3. I got the 2013 version (I think) with those blue rims. Does it come with that awesome "little" TF-40? Or some other cheapo radio?

Thanks a lot, waiting for your repies.
Old 12-15-2015, 05:21 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Good to read someone new getting one. Both of mine are still mostly stock. Motor change in one. Not much needs to be done to it. Still running stock steering servos in both of mine. That will change next year.
The stock tires out the box are decent. Driving style will decide how long they last. I've wiped out a set in a could runs, and made them last 10-15 runs. The optional off road work good on all surfaces. I'm trying slicks on one of mine. The 1/8 sidewinder was too much for the tires.

https://youtu.be/nY9egxjb9TY Here's a video of both of mine.
Old 12-15-2015, 04:48 PM
Tech Regular

Oh, here we go! I found the other thread in the off-road forum and it was looking kinda sad. This is much better.

I got lucky and found one of these with blue rims today for $295. Should be here by the weekend. I already have the nitro Abu Dhabi version of this car and it's a very solid machine other than the stock servos. It also doesn't hurt that I absolutely love driving it because it is so great on multiple surfaces. Not so much on the grass though. Rally bodies tend to want to dig into grass.

Been wanting the Flux version for a while but had to choose between this and the new RS4 Sport 3 Flux. I chose poorly and went with the RS4. Big mistake. Should have gone with the WR8. It's bigger, tougher, stronger and all around better for bashing.

Here's a vid of my WR8 3.0.

https://youtu.be/KTYmizBOeBY?t=137
Old 12-21-2015, 07:55 AM
Tech Regular

Well I came down with a respiratory infection last week and spent two hours at the doctor on Saturday. I did not get to see Star Wars and I did not get to wring out my WR8 that arrived on Friday.

First thing I did was install my Spektrum RX and the high torque, digital Futaba servo that I bought last week for the other car that I no longer have.

I ran a 2 cell 5300 pack through it yesterday and although fun and perfectly controllable at all times, it left me wanting more power and a lot more speed. It handles the 90 degree turn in front of my house with ease. I don't even have to let off. It just takes it wide open and wants more. Unfortunately, I just didn't feel like going outside after that.

I have a 3 cell 5000 pack charged up and ready to go for today. Of course, it's raining now and looks like it may not stop for a week or two. That won't stop the WR8 but it might keep me inside for a while.

Last edited by Metal One; 12-21-2015 at 08:10 AM.
Old 12-21-2015, 08:38 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The 3 cell should really wake up the Wr8. Report back on the results after a few runs.
Old 12-21-2015, 10:45 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cudacharger
The 3 cell should really wake up the Wr8. Report back on the results after a few runs.
Runs great on 3s. Fan on ESC has been weak spot with my 2 WR8's. Been through3 stock ESC. 4th is getting close.
I put the Castle 1/8 Sidewinder system in one of mine. Other still stock. They will change once current ESC fails.
Old 12-21-2015, 11:41 AM
Tech Regular

It's the chassis so nice, we bought it... a second time.
Old 12-21-2015, 11:33 PM
Tech Regular

I would have run the WR8 on 3S after work this evening but I went to see Star Wars so... maybe tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails HPI WR8 Flux/Ken Block H.F.H.V. Rally Car Thread-myhpis.jpg  
Old 12-22-2015, 03:23 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Metal One
I would have run the WR8 on 3S after work this evening but I went to see Star Wars so... maybe tomorrow.
Nice HPI fleet!
Old 12-22-2015, 06:12 PM
Tech Regular

Oh yeah! 3S is where it's at for this car and it handles it wonderfully! Oh man, this thing is too much fun. I mean, my nitro version is great and all but this is twice that good.

This is just the best thing ever for my street and the city greenway, which is about 150 feet from my street. I have some great places to bash within walking (spitting) distance of my house and this car is absolutely perfect for all of it.

I love this car!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.