R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-05-2013, 06:28 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default A Backwards Approach...

I'm a newbie here and looking to get back into R/C cars. I was never into competitive racing, but just having fun in parking lots or in the driveway. This time there is no change, just looking to have fun. For my first leap back into the hobby I have a bit of a backwards approach to a project. I have a specific body (RJ Speed 49 F Ford Truck #BOL2277) and wheels (touring car) I want to run so it'll look like my real truck. I stopped in our local hobby shop today with the intent of possibly just buying a RTR car that I could swap my wheels/tires onto, mount the body and go, but its seems given the dimensions of the body thats not as easy as it sounds. I guess given the website supplied dimensions I gave the guy at the store, he suggests I go with a pan car chassis to run the old former Bolink body. I do happen to have an old R/C12E roller hiding in my closet somewhere if the pan car is the best way to go. Any suggestions on where to start?
flamefink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 04:37 AM   #2
Tech Fanatic

A pan car chassis won't fit the wheels you want to run. The body was never designed to actually fit any chassis properly so anything you choose will need a bit of work to look right.

Look at the Tamiya M05 and M06 mini chassis or HPI Cup Racer. Width is the same and wheelbase is about 1/4" longer which could be sorted by trimming wishbones and using shims to shorten the wheelbase. The Tamiya M05 is front wheel drive, the M06 is rear wheels drive but you might have clearance problems as the motor hangs way out the back. The HPI Cup Racer is 4wd and the chassis is pretty low so should be the easiest to get under the body.
terry.sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:37 PM   #3
Tech Rookie

Yeah, I know the pan car would require adaptors to run the touring car wheels. That is how I found this forum, a google search directed me here to a couple different discussions about the now out of production adaptors. The sad part is I live less than 2 miles from BRP's original location.

I checked into the cup racer and it looks really cool but the wheel base is like 2inches too short for the body I want to run. The tamiya website doesnt give a wheelbase on the M series but it looks awfully short as well. I'm still considering experimenting with the cup car but the drive shaft to the front wheels will be too short.
flamefink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:07 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 60 (100%+)

I just measured my xray T3 and it looks like this would work fine for that body. Best I could find is the body is 6.1" inside at cab area and pretty wide at 8.4" with a 10-11 inch wheelbase. I measured my car at its widest internal point (being where the motor hangs off to the edge of the battery on the other side) and it was only 5". The wheelbase can adjust from 10.03-10.23".

I'm not familiar with RTR kit cars, but a quick search on amain come up with this linked below and it would most likely work fine for you.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...z-Radio-System
PROMODVETTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:12 PM   #5
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

You can set-up an M-chassis car in short, medium or long configuration. See if you can find the wheelbase for the long one.

The change is made by swapping out the central piece of the chassis I think from memory. So, it might not be too difficult to make up an even longer bit if you needed to.
Australian 12th Scale hastag: #EP12AU
Radio Active is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:20 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 60 (100%+)

A LWB mini is still only 239mm. The wheelbase of the truck body he wants is listed 10-11 inches, 254-280mm.
PROMODVETTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:19 PM   #7
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROMODVETTE View Post
A LWB mini is still only 239mm. The wheelbase of the truck body he wants is listed 10-11 inches, 254-280mm.
What wheeltrack are you aiming for?
Australian 12th Scale hastag: #EP12AU
Radio Active is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:51 PM   #8
Tech Addict

I have the HPI Sprint 2 Sport (1/10th scale Touring Car 4wd)
AND I have successfully fitted the RJ SPEED 1940 Ford Custom Coupe Body BOL2380 to it - - -
I Did have to get creative with the front motor mounts -
But it all fits & works quite nicely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamefink View Post
I'm a newbie here and looking to get back into R/C cars. I was never into competitive racing, but just having fun in parking lots or in the driveway. This time there is no change, just looking to have fun. For my first leap back into the hobby I have a bit of a backwards approach to a project. I have a specific body (RJ Speed 49 F Ford Truck #BOL2277) and wheels (touring car) I want to run so it'll look like my real truck. I stopped in our local hobby shop today with the intent of possibly just buying a RTR car that I could swap my wheels/tires onto, mount the body and go, but its seems given the dimensions of the body thats not as easy as it sounds. I guess given the website supplied dimensions I gave the guy at the store, he suggests I go with a pan car chassis to run the old former Bolink body. I do happen to have an old R/C12E roller hiding in my closet somewhere if the pan car is the best way to go. Any suggestions on where to start?
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:55 AM   #9
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamefink View Post
I checked into the cup racer and it looks really cool but the wheel base is like 2inches too short for the body I want to run. The tamiya website doesnt give a wheelbase on the M series but it looks awfully short as well. I'm still considering experimenting with the cup car but the drive shaft to the front wheels will be too short.
Ah, when you mentioned the RC12E I thought you were talking about the smaller Bolink Digger Ford truck shell.

I had a look for the shell you are talking about and it will drop on top of any touring car chassis, the wheelbase is fine it's just the extra width. I would suggest the HPI Sprint2 as it has spacers to make it 200mm so it's only 1/2" narrower than the body, then adding 4 or 6mm offset wheels to bring it out to the full width.
terry.sc is offline   Reply With Quote