Like Tree167Likes

Tamiya XV-01

Old 08-28-2018, 12:13 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

My mistake. It's part J6, from the parts tree with the plastic servo saver on it.

I don't have any of the XV-01 parts trees anymore -- I've disassembled them all -- so I have to look at the XV-01 manual and pictures of the parts trees online. It's surprisingly difficult to find pictures of the parts trees intact and large enough to see the individual parts clearly.
Old 08-29-2018, 06:00 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by fyrstormer
My mistake. It's part J6, from the parts tree with the plastic servo saver on it.

I don't have any of the XV-01 parts trees anymore -- I've disassembled them all -- so I have to look at the XV-01 manual and pictures of the parts trees online. It's surprisingly difficult to find pictures of the parts trees intact and large enough to see the individual parts clearly.
That's the single parts tree I do not have multiples of. Can still get the carbon reinforced version of this in my LHS. I will look into if I can bundle this with a few more part. Thanks so much for this, I will report back once I have the parts.
fyrstormer likes this.
Old 09-04-2018, 06:25 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by ejtnt
That's the single parts tree I do not have multiples of. Can still get the carbon reinforced version of this in my LHS. I will look into if I can bundle this with a few more part. Thanks so much for this, I will report back once I have the parts.
I got the parts over the weekend. Indeed it is the J6 part that is the adapter. It fit in the 64t spur with no problem, this means, that the gearing with the slipper clutch go much lower. I am not sure what is the biggest pinion that could fit in this configuration, but I can imagine it could easily go up to 33t and give you a 5ish fdr (that is what I like for my local track). I also got some new tires and see how it feels driving the car in higher speeds onroad. Should be fun.
fyrstormer likes this.
Old 09-04-2018, 06:43 PM
Tech Champion

As I recall, 38t is the largest 48-pitch pinion that will fit inside the gear cover.
Old 09-05-2018, 01:35 AM
Tech Master

As I recall, 38t is the largest 48-pitch pinion that will fit inside the gear cover.
Whoah, that would make an FDR of 4.4ish possible. That said with such a big pinion would there be still enough room to set the gear mesh correctly?
Old 09-05-2018, 09:46 AM
Tech Champion

If you use a small-enough spur, yes. I'm using a 40t pinion gear and a Kawada 65t spur gear in one of my XV-01s, but I had to grind the inside of the gear cover to make the larger pinion fit, and I had to send the slipper clutch plates to a machinist for modification. A Kimbrough 66t 48p spur should fit without any modifications, but you will need some Traxxas "friction pegs" from the T-Maxx to fill the holes in the Kimbrough spur gear, to make the slipper clutch work.
Old 09-06-2018, 01:12 AM
Tech Master

If you use a small-enough spur, yes. I'm using a 40t pinion gear and a Kawada 65t spur gear in one of my XV-01s, but I had to grind the inside of the gear cover to make the larger pinion fit, and I had to send the slipper clutch plates to a machinist for modification. A Kimbrough 66t 48p spur should fit without any modifications, but you will need some Traxxas "friction pegs" from the T-Maxx to fill the holes in the Kimbrough spur gear, to make the slipper clutch work.
Ideally I would like to not do any modifications at all. The 64t tamiya spur works fine in both terms of room and also with fitting the slipper and pressure plates. Obviously it is a tad smaller than the stock spur, so it could be that the 38t pinion should work, but I guess that would be another trial-and-error test. I currently do not have the funds or a scenario that would justify gearing that car so low but it would still be cool to find out. Heck, I do not even know if Tamiya even makes such a big mod 0,6/ 48dp pinion.

Edit: It looks like the biggest they make is a 48p 35t pinion.
Old 09-06-2018, 01:52 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ejtnt
Ideally I would like to not do any modifications at all. The 64t tamiya spur works fine in both terms of room and also with fitting the slipper and pressure plates. Obviously it is a tad smaller than the stock spur, so it could be that the 38t pinion should work, but I guess that would be another trial-and-error test. I currently do not have the funds or a scenario that would justify gearing that car so low but it would still be cool to find out. Heck, I do not even know if Tamiya even makes such a big mod 0,6/ 48dp pinion.

Edit: It looks like the biggest they make is a 48p 35t pinion.
Mod 0.6 is not 48p. Don't mix and match them.
Old 09-06-2018, 07:13 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by gigaplex
Mod 0.6 is not 48p. Don't mix and match them.
I know it is not. The stock spur is 0.6 mod and the slipper clutch compatible spur is 48p. They are very similar in size, (the spurs not the module/teeth) so they should be able to fit similar size pinion gears. Lets see how many people this will confuse...
Old 09-06-2018, 07:46 PM
Tech Champion

Mod 0.6 is often referred to as "Metric 48 pitch". It's stupid, because the closest pitch to Mod 0.6 is 42 pitch, not 48 pitch.
gigaplex likes this.
Old 09-08-2018, 03:17 AM
Tech Master

I do not know if you guys are aware, but Tamiya is re-releasing the XV-01 TC pro again. No changes but it is good to see it available (Nov)
Old 09-08-2018, 10:35 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Nice to see! XV is the McGyver chassis from Tamiya.. it can do it all
Old 09-08-2018, 01:16 PM
Tech Adept

Default Good News

Originally Posted by Qatmix
I do not know if you guys are aware, but Tamiya is re-releasing the XV-01 TC pro again. No changes but it is good to see it available (Nov)
I would appreciate this very much. Do you have any links or other sources to verify this?

Thanks and best regards,
Michael
Old 09-08-2018, 01:29 PM
Tech Champion

Interesting. The XV-01TC uses a special-length shaft in the front shocks (30.5mm instead of 28mm) that is very difficult to find. I've bought several sets from all over the world so I can use TRF shocks in my HPI RS4s. I wonder if Tamiya is bringing back the XV-01TC with the original front shock setup, or if they've adjusted it to use normal 28mm shafts front and rear?
Old 09-08-2018, 01:59 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

It will be with original front shock set up. They had to use the longer pistons in front due to the 416 TC arms having a wider stance and shock mount holes being further out.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.