Search
Like Tree167Likes

Tamiya XV-01

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2017, 05:39 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Qatmix
London has a fantastic venue (West London Raceway) They even run a Tamiya class most sundays. Its a great circuit.
First time I have seen you in this thread my friend
Old 07-22-2017, 09:59 PM
Tech Addict

I received a used set of HPI x-patterns. You know when the rubber reassembles a forgotten eraser that does erase very well?

Anyway I had those tires on various TC for bashing for many many many months. They served me well on road (tarmac, dusty parking lots, basketball courts) and off (read soily baseball diamonds.) I am not sure how the tires got to be so durable but they lasted forever. The ring of death never really happened after I corrected my camber (near 0) and switched over to TC suspension, with 4degree caster. They eventually wore out where only one tire was starting to see the ring of death. This was literally 4+ months of driving maybe 30 packs.

Before that I had a set of new HPI tires fresh out of the package. A stock setup xv-01 (camber from the manual) and the stock 6degree caster blocks. I drove it pretty hard when I first got the car, never really easing into turns but hard left hard right, hard braking and always full acceleration out of corners with burnouts etc. The tires didn't last that long. But had very good grip until the ring of death appeared.

So I currently can only recommend HPI tires if you have set up the car with very little camber, and are a little less throttle happy than I was when I got the my xv-01. I also think stale plastisized rubber actually lasts much longer than fresh rubber from the package.

Maybe I could dunk my new tires in acetone or something. Idk.
Old 07-23-2017, 07:31 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by 4roller
I'd like to see your rear wheel midmotor rally machine. Is it built on the tb03? It sounds interesting.

Yes the geometry of the tb03 is similar to the TA05. But you are correct that it has more rear end stability. I couldn't put my finger on it, but that rear end weight really changes how the tb03 thing turns. I kind of want it to be a little wilder in the rear.

I'll have to try the xv-01 rear arms to see what thats like.
It's two different cars, RWD one is based on buggy transmission, with Tamiya and homemade suspension components.

Second one is TB03 based AWD with motor moved around 5cm forward. Here is photo right after build,later it got some mods around steering and got back TB03's axle

R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya TB-03
Old 07-23-2017, 07:39 AM
Tech Addict

Awesome!

What does it look like now with all the extra mods to make it satisfactory?

I always like seeing what people have done with some detailed descriptions.

Coming from xv-01 a lot of what I do with car mods is trying g to get the cars to perform really well on dusty tarmac and rutty pavement. How did you move the motor forward? Maybe I should post on tb03.

Originally Posted by Papi
It's two different cars, RWD one is based on buggy transmission, with Tamiya and homemade suspension components.

Second one is TB03 based AWD with motor moved around 5cm forward. Here is photo right after build,later it got some mods around steering and got back TB03's axle

R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya TB-03
Old 07-23-2017, 12:30 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

The FF-04 Evo uses the same gear box at the XV-01 and in the manual, the suspension blocks they use with a diff are XD/XD!

So this verifies that the XV01 TC can use the A/A blocks due to the front spool cups being longer.

My front spool will be arriving from stella in a couple of weeks.

In the mean time, I changed my front over to XC/XC and (did not have the XD) and it solved the problem with the drive shafts and the cups.
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya XV-01-screen-shot-2017-07-23-12.24.56-pm.jpg  
stormridersp likes this.
Old 07-23-2017, 10:14 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by 4roller
Awesome!

What does it look like now with all the extra mods to make it satisfactory?

I always like seeing what people have done with some detailed descriptions.

Coming from xv-01 a lot of what I do with car mods is trying g to get the cars to perform really well on dusty tarmac and rutty pavement. How did you move the motor forward? Maybe I should post on tb03.
Now it looks like pile of parts, since I needed few parts for RWD Chassis itself havent changed, steering mod only included new bridge and some shims to reduce bump steer, other than that it looked same.

To move motor, I used front input shaft for rear gearbox, so I could use 2 driveshaft setup. Spur gear has second bearing mount, coming from TRF416, and custom driveshafts. It's very similar to TB-Evo7

Maybe I'll put some parts together, so I can make some photos of drivetrain.
Old 07-24-2017, 01:00 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Raman
Oi velho amigo, tudo bem!!!

You're in London now? Take a look at TamiyaClub Forum, majority on there are from the UK.. they would be more helpful in letting you know about the tracks in London. Qatmix Who is on RCtech and TamiyaClub.. is from the UK.. he also who has the online publication thercracer.com.. he can give you advise on tracks as well

Regarding tyres.. the HPI x patterns are discontinued, in fact HPI is pretty much close to being discontinued!

Ride 24024 are great for Tarmac bashing.. I put these on my nephews Rallylegends.

https://www.tqrcracing.com/shop/prod....asp?p_id=7916

Pricing and impostas in U.K. Can be almost as bad as Sao Paolo.. so let me know if I can help by shipping things from the US.. I have done it for a few members on Tamiya Club!
How you doing my friend? How's life there?

Thanks for the advices, I'll go look after it! In the meantime, this is what I was cutting today:

Cheers
Old 07-24-2017, 01:07 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Qatmix
London has a fantastic venue (West London Raceway) They even run a Tamiya class most sundays. Its a great circuit.
Thanks for the heads up Qatmix! I wish I had free sundays...

I checked the track's website, it looks amazing! I'll try to come by sometime soon.
Cheers
Old 07-26-2017, 07:42 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I got my XV01 up and running. I used the same Subaru XV body and wheels (with 64mm MST realistic rally tires) as in my profile pic, which fit perfectly. Running a Speed Passion Reventon R with a Speed Passion V3 MMM 17.5T motor with no boost, around 30 degrees of timing, geared at 68:29.

First impressions: this thing is quiet! Even compared to my other belt car (a 3Racing XI Sport), it's practically silent. With the motor/gearing, it's just fast enough to be fun without being uncontrollable (around 24mph). It took a few minutes to get used to its handling, as the rear end likes to rotate. It makes it easy to powerslide, though still rarely does it lose total control.

With the 64mm tires, the ride height is 14mm, with full extension at 21mm (without having dremeled the chassis to allow full extension). Not great for grass (which is fine, because the tires don't do well on grass anyway), but perfect for rough tarmac and packed dirt with pebbles (I haven't tested it on the latter). If I swap to Tamiya rally block tires, that should bump up that ride height.

I understand the enclosed battery tray, but I don't like having to fiddle with screws just to unplug the battery from the esc. I haven't tested it in all the conditions I've run my TA02 through, though I am sure in its current configuration, it won't handle jumping as well as the TA02. But besides that, I really enjoyed its maiden run!
Old 07-27-2017, 12:33 PM
Tech Regular

*EDIT* I tested the top speed with a gps logger, and it peaked at 27mph!
Old 07-28-2017, 11:44 AM
LJH
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

What do you think of the MST Realistic tires? What compound are you running?

Cheers,
Jim
Old 07-28-2017, 02:35 PM
Tech Regular

I have the harder compound (I think... I assume the more expensive ones, the ones denoted IR, are the softer). On rough pavement their grip is decent, once they warm up a little. Even when I ran them on the TA02, once they lose traction they slide predictably. They do well on packed dirt and small, loose gravel as well. On grass they don't do well, unless it's really short. Never tested them on sand, though being only 64mm diameter and (relatively) low tread, I don't think they'd be great. I could be wrong. The benefit of the standard diameter size is not having to trim out larger wheel wells, I guess.

As a positive, they are holding up wonderfully. After multiple runs they show very little wear. They seem very well suited to rally cross driving, on rough and dirty asphalt with some hard-packed dirt thrown in. My guess is the IR tires would work even better in those conditions, but wear more quickly.
Old 08-01-2017, 09:06 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by stormridersp
How you doing my friend? How's life there?

Thanks for the advices, I'll go look after it! In the meantime, this is what I was cutting today:

Cheers
Hey is that a 22B on your XV?

I have been considering it as my alternate body, I love that car!
Old 08-02-2017, 06:38 AM
LJH
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by longuylander
I have the harder compound (I think... I assume the more expensive ones, the ones denoted IR, are the softer). On rough pavement their grip is decent, once they warm up a little. Even when I ran them on the TA02, once they lose traction they slide predictably. They do well on packed dirt and small, loose gravel as well. On grass they don't do well, unless it's really short. Never tested them on sand, though being only 64mm diameter and (relatively) low tread, I don't think they'd be great. I could be wrong. The benefit of the standard diameter size is not having to trim out larger wheel wells, I guess.

As a positive, they are holding up wonderfully. After multiple runs they show very little wear. They seem very well suited to rally cross driving, on rough and dirty asphalt with some hard-packed dirt thrown in. My guess is the IR tires would work even better in those conditions, but wear more quickly.
Thanks for the info. They sure do look the part, I think I will give them a go on the wheels for my TT02, when I run the SX4 WRC body, once my Ride 26MM Radials give up the ghost. I will say the initial wear on the rides was pretty bad but now that I have worn them down like 25% the wear has gone down.....it seemed like when they were new you could see the difference in wear in one pack.

Cool story on the 22B, Back during the summer of '99 I was doing a sailing regatta in Scotland. I had spent a bunch of time over there a few years earlier dating a young lady and had made quite a few decent friends. At the time I had a '84 Audi Quattro Coupe (yes that one) that had some tricks done to it. So I show up at the Yacht Club and I ran into a friend and he mentioned that he had bought a new Impreza and he asks if I wanted to drive it. I had already had a few pints of beer so I declined but we chatted about cars and that is when he mentioned that he had bought a 22B. At the time I had subscriptions with a number of UK based car magazines and was fully aware of the 22B. Once I heard the the Impreza was a 22B I really wanted to drive it so we arranged for me to be on land at 0730 the next morning...I actually behaved myself that night knowing I did not want to be all banged up the next morning. He arrived the next morning and tossed me the keys. for the first 10 minutes I drove it softly till all the fluids were up to temp and then he urged me to "press on". Being that I was driving on the "wrong" side of the road in a RHD car I was not totally comfortable but as I got more comfortable the pace increased. That car was made for Scottish A/B roads and the difference between the Coupe and the 22B was shocking, Audi's, by nature, understeer a lot but the 22B would rotate on steering, throttle and brake....I felt like Burn's or MaCrae. To this day that in one of the highlights of driving for me and I am lucky enough to have a few friends that have way more means then I do who have let me drive some pretty serious automobiles.

Cheers,
Jim
theVetteman3 likes this.
Old 08-03-2017, 04:02 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Cool story LJH.

Does anybody know if the 22B will fit on the Long Damper Spec? I have a beautifully detailed 22B body I just did and have been considering the LD version. Based on the hood I'm thinking it'll sit too high. I might buy the regular shock towers and shorter shocks just in case.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.