Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree167Likes

Tamiya XV-01

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 06:04 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Raman
It sounds like you're trying to recreate the wheel with the XV-01. Unless you enjoy the challenge, you would be better off picking up a car that's intended for TC, such as the TA06.

When you go the carbon route, it will no longer be useful as a rallye car. The plastic tub chassis is much better for dirt. Carbon does not fare well with rocks and gravel.
I don´t see why this is anything like reinventing the wheel. This is a multipurpose chassis and in time, with some modifications, it `can´ become a front motor TA-06. Not only they share a lot of commonalities, lots were already accomplished on that way: Gear ratios, Sway Bars, Carbon parts, TA-06 compatible suspension, weight savings, setups and so on... Like the TA-03F in its own time.

The XV-01 was first released in rally version, just like the TB-01, which in its time, evolved into TB-03 on-road racers, with the difference being that the first was already thought as a multi purpose platform from the start!

You´ve mentioned that it will loose its rallye pedigree, well, real rally cars are after all, just great tarmac drives that are raised and adapted to run over dirt roads too! I dont see whats the difficulty in switching a few parts for either use.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:05 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

We're talking about a toy car, not a 1:1 car, there is a big difference.

You can convert a TRF417 to Rallye or even off road by swapping and mixing parts, and creating covers for gear box, however the carbon chassis will not last long.

My point was a carbon chassis conversion is not a good idea for rallye. I didn't say it would lose its pedigree. Carbon is rigid and light and makes a great on road chassis. Off road, you're better off with a plastic tub, because its flexible.

If you enjoy converting a car back and forth between running on asphalt and dirt, then go for it.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

To be fair to Dark_Luna, he has posted this in the On Road section and appears to be solely setting this up for on road use. He has just started with the 'Rally' Pro, rather than waiting for the TC version to come out.

Raman - Like you, I have this car as a Rally Car, but I guess not everyone does, so you probably need to accept that Dark_Luna and stormridersp aren't going to be jumping theirs like we do.

However, I totally agree with you, Raman - there's is no way that I would start off with a XV-01 for on road use. It is a heavy plastic tub chassis with limited options for race tuning, that I think is designed to be a basher for the masses. If you want a carbon fibre on road racer, buy a carbon fibre on road racer, designed for that. Unless of course you have nothing to do and really enjoy messing about in the garage.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:15 PM
Tech Champion

Sithlord and the rest,

If I'm coming across as criticising this car for onroad use, then my intention is being misunderstood.

From the first day I received this car, I've stated that its very capable of being a TC. My posts on scale stage rally and even in this thread are proof.

Sunday was race day and I had my XV-01 pro with me just in case my TRF416 broke and was not repairable. After the race I put down some laps with the HPI rallye tires.. It's very capable, in fact I learned in big sweepers its best to keep trottle on and it will pull right through.. If you let off to neutral , rear will step out.

I'm not being un-accepting of anyone's efforts to be creative. I'm certainly guilty of re-engineering a few kits myself.

Last edited by Raman; 01-23-2013 at 10:04 AM.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:29 PM
Tech Adept

TB01 and TB03 are worlds apart. TB01 went through many changes through tb02, tb evo1 all the way upto evo5, then the evo5 geometry and drivetrain were used on tb03. Modding the tb01 with long suspension and carbon plate set doesn't even come close to tb03(I built a tb01"evo" from every hopup possible for tb01). I'm pretty sure nobody misses ta03 for its performance either.

The OP is free to mod the XV01, but expecting to build a competitive race car out of it is an ambitious task. For an all around crossover vehicle, you have to compromise performance either way you lean. You can't have it both ways.

Originally Posted by stormridersp
I don´t see why this is anything like reinventing the wheel. This is a multipurpose chassis and in time, with some modifications, it `can´ become a front motor TA-06. Not only they share a lot of commonalities, lots were already accomplished on that way: Gear ratios, Sway Bars, Carbon parts, TA-06 compatible suspension, weight savings, setups and so on... Like the TA-03F in its own time.

The XV-01 was first released in rally version, just like the TB-01, which in its time, evolved into TB-03 on-road racers, with the difference being that the first was already thought as a multi purpose platform from the start!

You´ve mentioned that it will loose its rallye pedigree, well, real rally cars are after all, just great tarmac drives that are raised and adapted to run over dirt roads too! I dont see whats the difficulty in switching a few parts for either use.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:51 AM
Tech Adept

Until its put to test, all this criticism is just speculation.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:04 AM
Tech Champion

There is no criticism here. It's called advice.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:14 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by dark_luna
Yes that's around the same I used when running non boosted 17.5T in TC, but is it same with boosted?
Well I'll just have to test tomorrow at the track
With 72T/35T 48P 5.34:1 I don't think I can use the gear cover either but I will only run indoors with this setup so it shouldn't matter.
Didn't see this. No with advanced timing and boosted you have to go lower in gearing, or else you will burn the motor. 72/ 35 sounds safe. Just keep an eye on temp
Old 01-23-2013, 11:32 AM
Tech Adept

Thumbs up

There is no criticism here. It's called advice.
Free advice, cool, but its better if you keep it to yourself.

Wanna help? Feel free to post your experience, constructive advice is always welcome, but criticism (advice as you called it!) won´t help!

I'm not being un-accepting of anyone's efforts to be creative. I'm certainly guilty of re-engineering a few kits myself.
So are we! If in the end it doesn´t work, well, we tried and we had lots of fun doing it!
Old 01-23-2013, 12:11 PM
Tech Adept

Hey, it's just for fun!

This is the new electronic layout I'm thinking about.

Black - 2S Shorty
Orange - Servo
Red - ESC
Gray - Receiver

Transponder will fit somewhere too
I also need topdeck, thickness don't know may be 1.5-2mm?
Chassis will be 2.5mm, I will try to do it very slim.
Another option are saddlepacks but then it have to be wider.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:54 PM
Tech Fanatic

@dark_luna,

Perhaps it would be even better to switch the receiver with the servo.
This because the weight of the servo would better to compare to the ESC that's on the other side of the chassis and it must be better for balance.
I would suggest to mount the servo like it's mounted on a TA06 chassis.
Just my thought about the layout of the electronics.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:44 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by addicted2blue
@dark_luna,

Perhaps it would be even better to switch the receiver with the servo.
This because the weight of the servo would better to compare to the ESC that's on the other side of the chassis and it must be better for balance.
I would suggest to mount the servo like it's mounted on a TA06 chassis.
Just my thought about the layout of the electronics.
I agree plus you wont need to chance the overall steering geometry.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:38 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by dark_luna
Hey, it's just for fun!

This is the new electronic layout I'm thinking about.

Black - 2S Shorty
Orange - Servo
Red - ESC
Gray - Receiver

Transponder will fit somewhere too
I also need topdeck, thickness don't know may be 1.5-2mm?
Chassis will be 2.5mm, I will try to do it very slim.
Another option are saddlepacks but then it have to be wider.
Have you thought about positioning the battery perpendicularly to the chassis? This way you can poke different anchor points across the chassis and be able to play with the car's center of mass by tying the battery farther back for example, but also, it will give you the flexibility of running longer batteries too.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:00 AM
Tech Adept

This is pure ignorance. With enough experience, you can make a pretty safe prediction. This is not a close call situation. The xv01 is overweight by almost 300g compared to race specific chassis on top of design compromises. You do the math. Or not. Many guys try to race me at a redlight with their SUVs that clearly can't keep up with my lighter 2wd car. I don't even have to step on the gas hard, and I pull away, while I hear the big heavy SUV's engine roaring, but still struggling to even keep up. I'm sure he had fun burning half a tank of gas trying. LOL
Old 01-24-2013, 01:16 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I see the advantages of this kit running on dirty surfaces (streets). Kit maybe heavy but its drivetrain is protected from the elements and would last a lot longer compared to kits with exposed drivetrain. I think this is Tamiya's answer to on-road street bashers, rally crowd and TA03 fans.

I would buy one this year just because of the properties of this kit. Extracting the best from this kit is gonna be rewarding.

Just my opinion.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.