Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree167Likes

Tamiya XV-01

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2017, 07:27 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

And the parts for Yeah Racing and MST shocks are interchangeable with TRF shocks. I use orange accents from Yeah Racing shocks on one of my RS4s, purple accents from MST shocks on my other RS4s, and longer shock bodies from Yeah Racing 60mm shocks on my long-travel XV-01 rally cars.
Old 02-04-2017, 07:36 PM
Tech Addict

I was thinking about getting the 60mm YR dampers for the xv01TC, since I require longer shaft ends to get my chassis to sit with the proper ride height.

Are the shafts longer too? Or do they just include longer shaft ends?

Originally Posted by fyrstormer
And the parts for Yeah Racing and MST shocks are interchangeable with TRF shocks. I use orange accents from Yeah Racing shocks on one of my RS4s, purple accents from MST shocks on my other RS4s, and longer shock bodies from Yeah Racing 60mm shocks on my long-travel XV-01 rally cars.

Last edited by 4roller; 02-04-2017 at 07:48 PM.
Old 02-04-2017, 10:20 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The 60mm shocks also include longer shafts. They might be *too* long though, without a down-travel limiter inside the shock.
Old 02-05-2017, 11:10 PM
Tech Addict

Default More XV-01T Stadium Blitzer style

Today I got to run the xv-01TC-T with a fitted body and large tires. A little slice of the wheel well edges removed any lexan rubbing with tires. I also removed the foam from bumper, surpised to find the sub-bumper doesn't rub. I think it looks pretty good. Body high, similar look to the older TA02T's.

Driving impressions:
With 72/32 gearing and a silver can motor, acceleration is acceptable, the slipper does engage. There is a decent amount of top speed too. however, the motor after 15 minutes ran pretty hot, heavy large diameter tires are hard to spin up. I think a heatsink, fan and smaller pinion will help. Most recently I had switched over to the Yeah Racing 55mm dampers, 300cst (~30wt), 2 hole pistons, using their 'red' (same spring rate as Tamiya's red) firmness springs. Body roll is very evident, and manifests it self in medium to high speed turns as traction roll flipping. My poor unpainted body already has scuffs through the overspray film. Every time I traction rolled, the car would surprisingly come back onto its tires.

To remedy, or rather greatly reduce traction rolling, I switched out the springs for Tamiya's firmest whites in the front (same spring rate as the silvers in the picture) and blues (semi hard ) in the back. Traction rolling became power sliding during high speed cornering. Only the most severe cornering and catching an edge would result in a flip. I think by increasing damping with heavier oils (40wt+), and/or lowering ride height a couple millimeters, traction rolling will be almost gone. I had achieved this with my other setup, 95%, and that's with a faster motor.

Off road, the tires kick up some dirt, the chassis floats over the rough stuff instead of getting stuck like TC sized tires tend to. Rolling over medium height grass isn't an issue anymore! I think this is where this setup would shine, some light dirt trails or gravely parking lots. The little rocks that might have thrown your standard xv-01 up in the air are now meager pebbles under the larger tires.

It's amazing how switching from semi soft to firm springs in the front dramatically changed the cars turning capabilities. I think a light modified brushed motor would be perfect, 16T double or triple would give it ample top end and just a little more torque to make acceleration lively.

All in all, I think this configuration of the xv-01 is a loads of fun. Now if only I could cover up that exposed motor

Last edited by 4roller; 02-05-2017 at 11:22 PM.
Old 02-06-2017, 01:22 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by 4roller
All in all, I think this configuration of the xv-01 is a loads of fun. Now if only I could cover up that exposed motor
What about this (if you want to close the vents)? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-amalgamating_tape
(also called self-vulcanizing tape)
Old 02-06-2017, 05:53 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Okay friends.

TLDR; xv-01 for fun times, TA05 for predictable racing.

So as some of you know I have a recently purchased second hand TA05. Upon first try, I noticed the TA05 is well balanced, turns very predictable. It handles quite well stock out of the box.
My TA05 even with shortened wheelbase is so planted it's great, even running a 5.5turn motor with taller gearing... good for at least 52mph. I recently bought an TA05 IFS for another build. And parts sharing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0E7Ulmprzpk

Originally Posted by fyrstormer
Does your body have a wing on it? If it doesn't, add one; HPI has several wing designs to choose from. Pretty much any touring car that goes over 30-35mph is going to need one.
I don't have a wing, just the hatchback spoiler that comes with the Integrale body. I don't think the Delta's designers had aero in mind, so no point in pushing it.

The instability wasn't so much the aero but the tires are worn, and I had a battery that was flopping around (small 3s mainly for 1/16th scale or model aircraft).
Old 02-06-2017, 09:31 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by haplm
What about this (if you want to close the vents)? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-amalgamating_tape
(also called self-vulcanizing tape)
Interesting and pricy, but useful for many things. Thanks for bringing that to my attention. It will be useful for things around the house.

I think painting with enamel (nail polish) might be better just for looks.

The tape might trap the heat to much. Like a blanket.
Old 02-22-2017, 12:07 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

womens pantyhose can be used to cover the motor. lets air in but keeps most other bits out. The motor is usually the cleanest part on my rally car though.
Old 02-22-2017, 09:14 PM
Tech Addict

Default Xv-01 weight

Today I weighed my chassis.

No wheels, no fenders, no sponge bumper. Servo and fan were installed, no other electronics.

850g. My xv-01 has carbon fiber reinforced TC arms, shock towers, battery cover. CVDs, sway bars, Aluminum suspension blocks, aluminum dampers, steel differential gears, aluminum pullies, aluminum steering. Reinforced belt, I replaced all the screws with steel hexes. Stock ball ends and steel tie rods. Aluminum wheel hexes, aluminum servo saver.

Some of the hopups make it lighter, where as some make it heavier but more durable.

So really, this car is pretty heavy for a TC style car because I weighed the TA05 basically stock with servo and aluminum dampers, 700g.

At 150g difference, you know which car is going to accelerate faster.

There is however something about those 150g and different distribution of weight that make the xc-01 such a pleasure to drive.

I've been away for a while, restoring 2 rc10s but I have been craving to drive the xv-01 back with the 13.5t power plant.
Old 02-24-2017, 10:16 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Today I weighed my chassis.

No wheels, no fenders, no sponge bumper. Servo and fan were installed, no other electronics.

850g. My xv-01 has carbon fiber reinforced TC arms, shock towers, battery cover.

My AUW is 1550g. That includes all electronics, no hop-ups, and the Lancia Integrale body.

My other performance cars with small 2Ss are right around 1100g - Cup Racer, FGX. The TA05 with a full-stick 2S is 1300g.
Old 02-25-2017, 08:07 AM
Tech Addict

Default Hold the phone

So I was recently rerouting all my cables, only to be frustrated with everything being all bunchy. The fan was getting stuck because of all the extra wires.

Then I looked at a Tamiya diagram of where they propose you to place your ESC, in the front of the sealed box. That business blew my mind! I've been running my ESC at the rear with cables all over the place tucking and squeezing. It all makes sense now since the built in fan mount is in the front.

The only issue is that, my ESC has a built in switch. So I need to turn it on via a pokey implement. So I would need a way to turn it on, I guess that's why I had it set up the way I dis.

By moving my ESC, more of that weight would be in the front especially with high powered escs and their heavy gauge wires.

How do you people mount your electronics?

Last edited by 4roller; 02-25-2017 at 10:42 AM.
Old 02-26-2017, 07:10 PM
Tech Addict

Okay everything is fine. I kept the same configuration, only rotated the ESC so the wires are now a little less blocking. I also ran the sensor cable out the vent and ran it along the belt cover.

Today I ran my car after almost a month, this time with standard sized wheels instead of the truck tires. Twas fun. It is always fun. I missed the blazing setup.

It was even a little wet outside. Traction was pretty good, thanks to the x-patterns. The more it got wet, the better the traction up until the ground started getting slick.

My previous setup had 40wt and TRF dampers 3 hole pistons. This setup has 30wt and YeahRacing dampers with 2 hole dampers. Damping is a little squishier so body roll happens more. It allows those outside tires to grip pretty hard without spinning out. Love it.

My diffs are starting to spin a lot more free, it's not a bad thing. The rear is basically an open diff. The front is almost loose. I will let the front get to be free spinning to see how the car performs. Turning I am finding better off power, on power as long as there is no slip, it's not bad.
Old 03-09-2017, 09:58 PM
Tech Addict

Default Xv-01 offroad rally, finally!

So y'all might think I am crazy, but I've had my xv-01 for about a year now and only yesterday did I take it offroad for the first time. I mean like real rally-esque off-road.

To start, you know this car is very good on tarmac. On dirt, it's amazing!

I took this car out to a semi-kept short-grass redddish-sandy-dirt baseball diamond. Holy fudge-nuts! You don't know until you try right? Off road xv-01 is awesome!!!

So satisfying is it to pin the throttle and kick up massive rocks and dirt, at yourself. So satisfying is it to pin the throttle and blatantly make huge field engulfing dust clouds 😆 So satisfying is it to drive full speed into a loose turn, watching your rally suspension flex all whilst making 4 wheel drifting roost.

That front mount motor is what sets this car apart from other rally/off-road vehicles. That front wheel traction really shines off road, pulling the car into the turn instead of plowing or pivoting too much.

I think what amazed me the most was the fact that I could finally get my car up into ballistic turbo RPMs and stay there!

Balls out screaming motor and dirt flinging goodness. Rally Awesome, Yay!

Last edited by 4roller; 03-09-2017 at 10:10 PM.
Old 03-09-2017, 11:59 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

nice...i bet they are super fun off-road...

i wanted a rally one, but local shop only had the xv01 tc, so got that...i love the handling of it...

still looking for a good deal on one i can put in the dirt.
Old 03-10-2017, 09:51 AM
Tech Addict

The TC can be modified (shaving the arms at hubs) to increase down travel. That's what I did to get the best of both worlds.

Originally Posted by nosyajg
nice...i bet they are super fun off-road...

i wanted a rally one, but local shop only had the xv01 tc, so got that...i love the handling of it...

still looking for a good deal on one i can put in the dirt.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.