Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree167Likes

Tamiya XV-01

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2016, 09:14 PM
Tech Addict

Default Heatsink

The heatsink is much narrower than I originally imagined. However, it fits nicely. You could probably even put two in there. The STI Subaru body fits fine over it, if you have a severe sloping front hood, it might rub, but I doubt it.

We'll see how this works out, it should help keep things a little cooler. I regret not getting a purple one 🤣
Old 12-22-2016, 12:32 AM
Tech Adept

Nice, but I'm afraid this won't work with my Datsun's super short hood. I will have to find a different one...
Old 12-22-2016, 07:48 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by haplm
Nice, but I'm afraid this won't work with my Datsun's super short hood. I will have to find a different one...
Hood scoop? Actually, that's not a bad idea for both the Subaru or BMW bodies I have. Better yet, low front grille vents like a turbo intercooler exchange.

I might have to mesh out my front grille now.

Old 12-23-2016, 03:40 PM
Tech Initiate

Not a good time for driving things around here, so I build instead. I've finally got these:

It is slightly changed design compared to the original plates, focused on achieving greater ride height, shifting weight towards back of the car (by using shorty pack perpendicular to the direction of driving), and lower GC (most of the electronic on the bottom plate).

I'm really curious how this will work out, but I need to wait for my new ESC to become in stock before I can put it together...

I've also got new body:

Hello hello, and do you have pics of your ride ?

Best regards,

AL
Old 12-23-2016, 11:27 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

A hood scoop would be too hard to implement on this car, because the motor is at the front of the hood. A grille cutout would work much better.
Old 12-24-2016, 01:03 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by fyrstormer
A hood scoop would be too hard to implement on this car, because the motor is at the front of the hood. A grille cutout would work much better.
This is exactly what I'm thinking about, unless I find something that fits under the body...
Old 12-24-2016, 01:06 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Erbinator
Hello hello, and do you have pics of your ride ?

Best regards,

AL
Nope, this version of the car doesn't even have the wheels yet . This is how far I've got as of yesterday:
Old 12-25-2016, 06:05 AM
Tech Champion

Impressive work, though.
Old 12-25-2016, 12:54 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by fyrstormer
Impressive work, though.
Thanks. I should know how it rides within a week or two, as the rest of the electronics is coming this week.
Old 12-30-2016, 07:35 AM
Tech Adept

All the electronics is in place, and this is how it is balanced:

It is not that bad, certainly better than the standard car, but still not perfect. I'm going to first create a dust/debris cover for the electronics, and then put some weights there to achieve perfect left/right balance. I guess I can live with 60% of weight being in the front.

Current ride height is 23mm, and the car handles really well on hardwood floor (definitely better than the old chassis).

BTW - the new chassis allows me to set steering EPA to 130%, which combined with the natural oversteer of the chassis means, that it turns on a dime.
Old 12-30-2016, 12:03 PM
Tech Addict

Wow super classy setup!

I am wondering if you've set your suspension yet. Adjusting preloads in corners will have a significant improvement with handling, and also bring those left right numbers closer to match.

I mentioned 2 videos here.
suspension setup post

After watching these videos and setting up my car this way, my left-right handling balance was almost perfect.

All the electronics is in place, and this is how it is balanced:

It is not that bad, certainly better than the standard car, but still not perfect. I'm going to first create a dust/debris cover for the electronics, and then put some weights there to achieve perfect left/right balance. I guess I can live with 60% of weight being in the front.

Current ride height is 23mm, and the car handles really well on hardwood floor (definitely better than the old chassis).

BTW - the new chassis allows me to set steering EPA to 130%, which combined with the natural oversteer of the chassis means, that it turns on a dime.
Old 12-30-2016, 05:58 PM
Tech Champion

Yeah, I see the left side is heavier in the front, and the right side is heavier in the rear. You need to add more preload to the right-front and left-rear shocks, and maybe remove some preload from the left-front and right-rear shocks, to get rid of that diagonal bias.

However, you really ought to measure with the scales sitting on a glass table; wood is not flat enough, and with a touring car even a slight warp in the surface can significantly change the weight readings at each corner.
Old 12-31-2016, 12:05 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks for the tips, guys. Yeah, I definitely need to do some tuning on the car. Let me explain why I haven't done it yet.

4roller, I have seen those videos when you have first posted them. They are very helpful, thank you for sharing the links.

The picture I have posted shows how the car is balanced with equal preloads (or no preloads), because improving that was the strongest motivation why I have worked on the new chassis. Specifically I wanted to shift some weight to the back without compromising left/right balance. And it worked, because the old car was like 70F/3R0 (with more weight on the upper plate), while the new one is 60F/40R (and more weight on the bottom plate). In the process, I have also changed how the steering is mounted, because the old car was unable to achieve full front suspension compression without inner wheel steering linkage hitting upper plate during cornering, effectively lifting the car and making it slide.

fyrstormer, it's funny that you mention the glass table. This is exactly where I do all my work. But it is very bad for taking pictures, because well, it is transparent, and the pictures look weird :-). When I was taking picture of the car on the tweak station sitting on the hardwood floor, I have noticed exactly what you are talking about. The numbers change every time my body moves, even leans... However, at the end I found such a position of myself that gave me pretty much the same numbers as those measured on the glass table. What I wouldn't do to get a nice picture... .

I will definitely tune the preloads, but first I want to make and install the dust cover, because it will change the balance once on the car. So doing any fine tuning (or preloads) at this point would be probably a waste of time...
Old 12-31-2016, 08:46 AM
Tech Champion

True.
Old 12-31-2016, 05:50 PM
Tech Addict

I look forward to seeing haplm's rally machine complete and flinging dirt.

On that note, I won a bid for a mint, never run TA05 off eBay. Completely stock. Now that I have myself a pretty decent road chassis, I may consider rebuilding the xv-01 back into a dedicated street rally machine instead of a super touring car. That would mean pulling off all the TRF TC parts, and putting them onto the TA05.

My only conflict is that the xv-01 is SO-DIALED-BRO! And it would be a shame to lose all that work.

The xv-01 would get back its carbon reinforced arms, and other hopups that I set aside. I just need to find some spare time, it is quite the task to rebuild 2 cars.

It reminds me of all my parts swapping between bikes, so tedious.

First world problems.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.