R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree19Likes

Old 12-11-2016, 08:31 AM   #1261
Tech Regular

That sure is a pretty 240z.

So, I've been running a new Basher 2S 5600 60C LiHV pack with my 4300KV Castle setup in my XV-01. I honestly cannot tell a bit of difference between that and the 3 year old Dynamite Speedpack 2S 5300 30C I've been using in it.

Same results in other vehicles as well. Just can't tell a difference. It's a nice battery. It's smaller, lighter and gives the same performance so there is that but .3 volts or whatever just isn't enough to notice a difference in a vehicle that already hauled serious booty on 2S.

I've gone back to the Delta HV too. I just like it better than the Stratos.
Old 12-11-2016, 09:50 AM   #1262
Tech Regular

Based on reading one article about high voltage lipos, there are a couple of advantages.

1. Lighter weight.
2. More voltage.
3. Better (longer lasting) high voltage draw.

To take advantage of all three, you must use a charger capable of charging to 4.35v.

But if you don't have such a charger, than you only get to take advantage of points 1 and 3.

lihv vs lipo

Light weight always a win, a passive gain. Longer lasting high voltage, means you get that berserker voltage for more of your run. In a lipos case, it would be stay closer to the 4.2v before settling to the 3.8v range. In a LiHV, it would stay at 4.35v longer, then settle down to 3.8v.

I think if you get a charger that can handle the higher charge voltage, than you may see the complete benefits.

Thanks for sharing, I didn't know such batteries existed till now.
4roller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 11:43 AM   #1263
Tech Regular

No problem! I have an LiHV charger. Couldn't get the extra voltage out of the pack if I didn't. Less weight is always better but I'm out bashing in the street so I just want a little more speed. Run times are long enough as it is. I very rarely take a pack down low enough to need a few more minutes out of them. For my needs, I don't think they are worth the extra investment in the future unless the prices come down but it was worth a few extra bucks to try. It's still a great battery!

For folks who want to squeeze every bit of performance out of their car, they might be just the thing.

Last edited by Metal One; 12-11-2016 at 11:53 AM.
Metal One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 12:34 PM   #1264
Tech Regular

Yes, sounds like with 4300kv to the wheels, the extra .3v would hardly be noticeable. Maybe in a speed run.

Drive on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal One View Post
No problem! I have an LiHV charger. Couldn't get the extra voltage out of the pack if I didn't. Less weight is always better but I'm out bashing in the street so I just want a little more speed. Run times are long enough as it is. I very rarely take a pack down low enough to need a few more minutes out of them. For my needs, I don't think they are worth the extra investment in the future unless the prices come down but it was worth a few extra bucks to try. It's still a great battery!

For folks who want to squeeze every bit of performance out of their car, they might be just the thing.
Old 12-11-2016, 04:15 PM   #1265
Tech Regular

Since I've been on baby house arrest for the last couple weeks, I just recently got 10 minutes to drive my Xv-01. Omg I just drove my car on a semi dead battery, and still this car is super fun. Probably equivalent to a 16T brushed back in the day. When you don't over power the car, it really brakes and turns like a real car. I love watching the suspension squat on acceleration, dive on braking and, body roll and lean on hard grippy corners. The car is planted with the x-patterns on cool pavement. STI body ftw.

Only when you got the crazy turbos, timing, or high KV motor, this car can get a little out of hand.

Almost open rear diff and half drained 100k front diff, this car actually handles quite nice. Suspension on point. I need someone to street race.
Old 12-13-2016, 04:36 AM   #1266
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4roller View Post
Apart from the battery position and the rear dampers are mounted in on front vs rear of the arms. I'd have to say, by looking at the chassis's they are about 80% similar.

Stuff like gearing changes are to be expected. Ta03f has a ball diff. But even the stabilizer bars, top pulley tensioner are in the same location.

I guess drifters like the chassis because of that front weight, double deck design.

I'd have to say the Xv01 was just a refresh. I would not be surprised if the engineers that designed the TA03f are the same ones that worked on the xv-01.

I love the lineage aspect. Apart from the belt power transmission to the rear wheels, the car is really designed like a real car in terms weight and suspension. That's what I love about this setup. You can learn a lot about real world suspension tuning and handling.

What year was the Ta03f released? Around 1998.
I think it was released 1996 or 1997.

I decided to pull mine off the shelf the other day and get it up and running again. I found some of my old brushed gear and a working AM radio and threw them on the car. Luckily all the wiring was already at the perfect length despite being set up for a completely different car.

I took it for a spin this evening in the basement carpark. It's a very slippery, dusty concrete, with virtually no traction. With the one way torque splitter shaft in the front, it only had rear braking, which meant that even backing off the throttle but still on power instantly caused it to swap ends. I guess I'll have to set it up for drifting if I continue to run it down there. I might bring it out to the track when I'm there next just to see how it runs, but I'll probably remove the one way first.

gigaplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 07:21 AM   #1267
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I've been daily driving my XV. I did a speed run on 3s (a smaller-than-standard pack). I also let someone else drive it on 2s... right into a curb. But it's good now. Had enough spacers and found all of the dogbones this time. Now if only I got around to finishing the body I painted and then did precisely nothing with when I got the used black body.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jD_qu_nrMZg
firefoxussr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 12:39 PM   #1268
Tech Regular

The last time I let someone drive my RC, they did the exact same thing, only it ended that segment of my RC life for 20 years. I never got around to fixing that ulyra modified rc10 T, and it is still back at my parents place, one day it will be resurrected.

Is that speed run 72kph? crazy. What is your setup? Spur, pinion, ESC, motor, timing, etc. That parking lot looks great for a race!

Sometimes I just drive my car with no body if I want to get a fix, or if I am tuning. But the body adds so much more to the RC experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefoxussr View Post
I've been daily driving my XV. I did a speed run on 3s (a smaller-than-standard pack). I also let someone else drive it on 2s... right into a curb. But it's good now. Had enough spacers and found all of the dogbones this time. Now if only I got around to finishing the body I painted and then did precisely nothing with when I got the used black body.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jD_qu_nrMZg

Last edited by 4roller; 12-13-2016 at 12:55 PM.
Old 12-13-2016, 12:45 PM   #1269
Tech Regular

So cool. I love the look of that chassis setup. I was debating on pulling the trigger on an eBay ta03f, but decided, money is better spent on my current car. I like how back in the 90s escs were florescent. Novak?

One ways make these 4wd cars drive funny, I think better suited for certain tracks and not bashing. I removed my one way pulley and now enjoy a little bit more predictable braking.

Also I noticed the URL of your image is hosted by rctech in your albums. I didn't know we had access to rctech image hosting! Where and how?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigaplex View Post

Last edited by 4roller; 12-13-2016 at 12:58 PM.
Old 12-13-2016, 03:51 PM   #1270
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
So cool. I love the look of that chassis setup. I was debating on pulling the trigger on an eBay ta03f, but decided, money is better spent on my current car. I like how back in the 90s escs were florescent. Novak?

One ways make these 4wd cars drive funny, I think better suited for certain tracks and not bashing. I removed my one way pulley and now enjoy a little bit more predictable braking.

Also I noticed the URL of your image is hosted by rctech in your albums. I didn't know we had access to rctech image hosting! Where and how?
Yep, Novak.

Under your user control panel there's an albums section where you can upload pictures. Once uploaded you can directly copy the IMG tag.
gigaplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 03:48 AM   #1271
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefoxussr View Post
I've been daily driving my XV. I did a speed run on 3s (a smaller-than-standard pack). I also let someone else drive it on 2s... right into a curb.
All of my loaner cars have drag-brake enabled (including one nitro truck, which literally drags the brake pads at neutral-throttle), because people don't seem to have any grasp of the idea that they have to *intentionally* use the brakes to avoid crashing.
Old 12-19-2016, 06:11 PM   #1272
Tech Regular

Oh XV-01, it's been too long since I've run you. Today was a good day, cool. Traction was just about perfect with x-patterns. I almost flipped my car head long on these unfamiliar streets, due to some street reflectors and my car driving upwards of 40mph. Ride height was good except for said reflectors and minor undulations in the pavement. The sound of lexan occasionally scraping lets me know I am low and good, downforce on point. For these streets maybe a harder spring and less damping would make it almost perfect. TC suspension works very well for the streets.

It's a good day, top speed unknown, max 34373RPM at 24degree turbo and 15degrees on the motor can. 72/28 gearing. This street is a little longer than the one outside my house, I could have pushed it a little more, but who wants to go home with broken a-arms. The motor with no drivetrain restrictions can do 55k+rpms

This is the first time I drove with drag brake, 5%, the car is extremely managble coming from a pinned throttle. I think I like it.

Last edited by 4roller; 12-21-2016 at 10:22 PM.
Old 12-20-2016, 03:50 PM   #1273
Tech Regular

Top speed unknown, max rpm 39k+

95C motor temperature after 5 speed runs. 50degree motor can timing. 24degree boost above starting @20k rpms. 0.3s delay.

I like how powerful the car is at this setting, though motor heat dissipation and ESC heat is a problem. I don't think the car would last long before thermal cut off kicked in. After a while, heat soaked motors also perform terribly. I ordered a passive 6 finned heat sink. Should be coming soon.
Old 12-21-2016, 12:43 AM   #1274
Tech Adept

Quote:
After a while, heat soaked motors also perform terribly. I ordered a passive 6 finned heat sink. Should be coming soon.
Which heat sink have you ordered? I was looking for one lately (although not really hard), and couldn't find anything... Thanks!
haplm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 01:52 AM   #1275
Tech Regular

I am not entirely sure it will fit but it was cheap enough to try. I will let you know.

GPM Racing 6 fin motor heat sink GP0608. It comes in lots of colors, eBay seller had this for 9.99 free shipping in the US.

I think for endurance races like rally, I would want more acceleration and a cool motor. Negative timing would produce an abundance of torque and run cooler. Then gear appropriately for desired top speed. Turbo is also great to help with top speed and producing roost Just use it judiciously. It's always a balance top speed / power and heat. I've found a longer turbo delay helps keep you honest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haplm View Post
Which heat sink have you ordered? I was looking for one lately (although not really hard), and couldn't find anything... Thanks!