Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree19Likes

Old 10-19-2016, 06:56 AM   #1096
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4roller View Post
Welcome!

Xv-01 rebuild! Sounds like fun! I presume you will run this rally?
It's going to be my outdoor fun car. I'll run rally bodies on it because I love rallying and will probably use it most at actual rallies!
Old 10-19-2016, 07:37 AM   #1097
Tech Adept

Quote:
So cool!

I can't wait to see you custom build. I see that a lot of people in these races are using modded chassis of x-rays and older Tamiya kits. Then almost everyone is driving a hatchback body of some sort. Haha
The reason why a lot of people is using these old cars is, that those kits were not so advanced and finely tuned touring racers, so it is relatively easy to convert them to a rally racer (higher ride height, longer suspension travel, extreme steering angles, protection from elements). That doesn't say that the same thing can't be done with modern touring kits, but it is much harder to do it, and you need tons of custom parts, so it mostly doesn't worth it.

I don't understand it myself, why so many people is running hatchbacks. Yes, I know, I have one as well, but that's only because the body was in the box :-). However, for new season, I have two new bodies. One is the exact replica of Gazoo Racing Toyota 86, and the second one will be Datsun 240z Rally, with a custom paint scheme (and hopefully decals as well). That will be my primary body...
haplm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 07:50 AM   #1098
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoLost View Post
Is there rumor of a XV-02? What other Rally cars are there? XV-01 looks fun!
And what are the differences between XV-01 and XV-01 Pro?
No sign on XV-02, but the XV-01 kit is still available. I don't see any sign of it being discontinued. However, Pro is discontinued for a long time, so you won't be able to buy it. But don't be sad, it didn't really made much sense ;-).

There's bunch of other rally cars you can buy. Traxxas, Losi, Vaterra, HPI all do some sort of rally car, but they are not so "scale", and I never see them in actual rally races (they are designed mostly for bashers).

Then you have MST XXX Rally, which sounds like a decent rally car and is compatible with Tamiya bodies. Unfortunately it comes only as RTR, not as a kit. Last option I know of is The Rally Legends.

Then you can also get some older Tamiya touring car (TA-02, specifically) or X-Ray (T2) and convert it.

If there wouldn't be the XV-01, I would either use MST XXX Rally, or convert older X-Ray.
Old 10-19-2016, 09:44 AM   #1099
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigaplex View Post
You'd go much faster if you didn't use slow motion
Good point!

However, jokes aside, I have found out that slow motion is very useful for suspension tuning. Look at this. It shows that the front suspension is working really well, as the car kept its ride height (the car hit the breadboard really fast, this is 240FPS). However, what the rear is doing is horrible. Since I can't really make the shocks on rear softer, I will have have to replace them, and add some weight to the rear, so it doesn't jump.

Then I have couple of videos showing how the car transfers its weight, which again shows that I have a problem with the rear end. I can't keep the inner wheel on the ground during hard turn. Since I don't want to use harder springs in the front (that would make the car jump when hitting obstacles), I need to install front sway bar. Only problem is that my carbon plates has no mount point for it, so I guess updated plate is needed...

By any chance - does anyone know about a reasonably priced camera with more than 240FPS? ;-)
Old 10-19-2016, 09:47 AM   #1100
Tech Regular

There is no xv-02 that I know of. It's been 4 years since the xv-01 came out. When I was looking to buy a year ago, I thought a new car would be good, but this one is awesome. All the upgrades are already out and plenty of parts from online retailers.

The Pro kit has CVDs, TRF dampers (minus the nice pistons), no tires, no body. I think it had some miscellaneous aluminum bits like tierods and ball joints. These pro kits are hard to come by unless you find a overseas retailer. At which point it will be marked up due to supply and demand.

It is probably more economical to go with the base kit and upgrade to CVDs and aluminum toe-blocks. Carbon Fiber reinforced parts are also available, inexpensive and a decent upgrade too, but not nessesary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoLost View Post
Is there rumor of a XV-02? What other Rally cars are there? XV-01 looks fun!
And what are the differences between XV-01 and XV-01 Pro?
4roller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 09:51 AM   #1101
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by haplm View Post
No sign on XV-02, but the XV-01 kit is still available. I don't see any sign of it being discontinued. However, Pro is discontinued for a long time, so you won't be able to buy it. But don't be sad, it didn't really made much sense ;-).

There's bunch of other rally cars you can buy. Traxxas, Losi, Vaterra, HPI all do some sort of rally car, but they are not so "scale", and I never see them in actual rally races (they are designed mostly for bashers).

Then you have MST XXX Rally, which sounds like a decent rally car and is compatible with Tamiya bodies. Unfortunately it comes only as RTR, not as a kit. Last option I know of is The Rally Legends.

Then you can also get some older Tamiya touring car (TA-02, specifically) or X-Ray (T2) and convert it.

If there wouldn't be the XV-01, I would either use MST XXX Rally, or convert older X-Ray.
Thank you! I do wish the rally class to be more popular. I did manage to find one XV-01 kit in stock, but not the body I want...
SoLost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 09:58 AM   #1102
Tech Regular

I love how the cZech rally's have real terrain stages! Safari stage? Yup.

Haplm,
How come some people's xv-01's are labelled as XV-01 evo2015?
Old 10-19-2016, 10:04 AM   #1103
Tech Regular

Maybe a mushier tire or insert would help dampen the rear end. Or, better yet a lighter weight oil in the rear dampers. The rear end of this car is so much lighter than the front and could use a less aggressive rear setup.

Quote:
Good point!

However, jokes aside, I have found out that slow motion is very useful for suspension tuning. Look at this. It shows that the front suspension is working really well, as the car kept its ride height (the car hit the breadboard really fast, this is 240FPS). However, what the rear is doing is horrible. Since I can't really make the shocks on rear softer, I will have have to replace them, and add some weight to the rear, so it doesn't jump.

Then I have couple of videos showing how the car transfers its weight, which again shows that I have a problem with the rear end. I can't keep the inner wheel on the ground during hard turn. Since I don't want to use harder springs in the front (that would make the car jump when hitting obstacles), I need to install front sway bar. Only problem is that my carbon plates has no mount point for it, so I guess updated plate is needed...

By any chance - does anyone know about a reasonably priced camera with more than 240FPS? ;-)
Old 10-19-2016, 10:28 AM   #1104
Tech Adept

Quote:
I love how the cZech rally's have real terrain stages! Safari stage? Yup.

Haplm,
How come some people's xv-01's are labelled as XV-01 evo2015?
There are two major mods for XV-01 chassis. First one is this. It is made of Duralumin, and the bottom plate is not flat. Front part of it is angled, so the kingpin is more reclined.

Another version is the carbon one I have (and which I plan to further modify).

I believe that XV-01 evo2015 is most likely the first one, but I'm not sure.

Speaking of tracks, the one where LSK Summer Rally happened is a really nice one. You can see how big it is on these pictures. But this is not the only one which is really nice....
Old 10-19-2016, 10:37 AM   #1105
Tech Adept

Quote:
Maybe a mushier tire or insert would help dampen the rear end. Or, better yet a lighter weight oil in the rear dampers. The rear end of this car is so much lighter than the front and could use a less aggressive rear setup.
Yeah, maybe the tire could help a bit... I'm already using 200 cSt oil, so I don't see much room for changes there. I'm going to get 100 cSt, which is I believe the lightest oil I can get. BTW I'm already using a piston with 4 holes, and super soft custom made spring. With this configuration, the rear is really mushy, and the ride height is compromised. So what I'm going to try is to mount a different shocks (than the current Gmade 75mm with Aeration cap). I have ordered TA Big Bores, which are 12mm shocks with huge assortment of springs available for them (and dual rate pistons). I hope that slightly less (of lighter) oil, slightly stronger springs, and those dual pistons should do the trick. Hopefully...
Old 10-19-2016, 06:08 PM   #1106
Tech Master

Quote:
Yeah, maybe the tire could help a bit... I'm already using 200 cSt oil, so I don't see much room for changes there. I'm going to get 100 cSt, which is I believe the lightest oil I can get. BTW I'm already using a piston with 4 holes, and super soft custom made spring. With this configuration, the rear is really mushy, and the ride height is compromised. So what I'm going to try is to mount a different shocks (than the current Gmade 75mm with Aeration cap). I have ordered TA Big Bores, which are 12mm shocks with huge assortment of springs available for them (and dual rate pistons). I hope that slightly less (of lighter) oil, slightly stronger springs, and those dual pistons should do the trick. Hopefully...
Have you asked around to see what the other XV-01 drivers are doing for their rear shocks?
gigaplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 11:46 PM   #1107
Tech Adept

Quote:
All this rally media and here I am trying to go on-road only. About the only rally available that is close to me is hopping off curbs, driveways, broken and busted up roads and parking lots, and dry grass. Actually that sounds pretty fun. I am sure the TC suspension can handle this.
It can, found old photo of my then new TB03 with little modded suspension - downstops werent cutted yet, I only needed to cut into front arm to make space for C-hub. It got 15mm ride heigth

Papi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 12:31 AM   #1108
Tech Regular

Oh thanks for digging that up. Road cars always look awesome to me.

I am currently running 8mm ride height and it seems to be fine for most things. This is with the stock suspension limited with droop screws. I gotta say that I am not overly excited for the TC suspension stuff. maybe because I haven't driven the car in a couple days.

After watching all the rally, I really just want somewhere like that drive with other people. Semi off-road was the original purpose of me getting this chassis, though cleaning a dirty car got annoying. Things change however, and I find myself just bashing the street and love it! Maybe I need to hit the streets to get the addiction back to previous levels.

I think I will keep the TC suspension as is, and if I want rally, use the stock suspension.

Does the TC suspension arms create a wider track?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papi View Post
It can, found old photo of my then new TB03 with little modded suspension - downstops werent cutted yet, I only needed to cut into front arm to make space for C-hub. It got 15mm ride heigth

Old 10-20-2016, 12:54 AM   #1109
Tech Regular

Default TA03F pro

I didn't know about this chassis till i did a search for some random rc part, but the TA-03F looks mighty similar to the XV-01.

Discuss...

Last edited by 4roller; 10-20-2016 at 09:41 AM.
Old 10-20-2016, 01:09 AM   #1110
Tech Master

Quote:
I didn't know about this chassis till i did a search for some random rc part, but the TA-03F looks mighty similar to the XV-01.

Discuss...
That was my first RC car, and I've still got it. The reason I follow this thread is because the XV-01 looks like a spiritual successor. Apparently it's quite popular in the drifting scene.

Last edited by gigaplex; 10-20-2016 at 01:50 AM.
gigaplex is offline   Reply With Quote