R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree19Likes

Old 02-11-2016, 06:29 AM   #676
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (86%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormridersp View Post
Cmon, you post this and then disappears? How did you manage it??
Cheers
Hi There, my XV-01 carbon chassis is made by a small RC parts development workshop in Hong Kong. All their stuff just made with very small volume, and this xv01 carbon chassis is no exception. I believe i bought their the last 1 at the end of 2014 on the HK rc forum, and it was the only place they sell that stuff.

You may find a bit more detail at for sale section.
rc-samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 04:42 PM   #677
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintage tone View Post
Anyone running the 69 mustang or 57 belair body on this chassis?
Not that I am aware off.. What are you trying to find? Fit? performance?

The only bodies that won't fit are for mid engine cars where the front is low in profile, eg NSX, Audi R8, Ferrari 458 etc
Raman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 06:29 AM   #678
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc-samurai View Post
Hi There, my XV-01 carbon chassis is made by a small RC parts development workshop in Hong Kong. All their stuff just made with very small volume, and this xv01 carbon chassis is no exception. I believe i bought their the last 1 at the end of 2014 on the HK rc forum, and it was the only place they sell that stuff.

You may find a bit more detail at for sale section.
Thanks for the answer, thatīs pretty nice, I didnīt have a clue about it. Can you share a link for this forum?

Cheers
stormridersp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 01:57 PM   #679
Tech Regular

Yeah buddy! My XV-01 has arrived.
Attached Thumbnails
Tamiya XV-01-xv_01_1.jpg  
Old 03-19-2016, 09:12 AM   #680
Tech Regular

The build is going slowly, mostly from studying instructions and trimming leftover sprue from the plastic parts to make them smooth. I got the front and rear gearboxes done and that's where I stopped for the night. I love how different the XV-01 is from every other belt driven touring car I've ever owned. They truly have put some effort into it to deal with crappy surfaces. I just wish they would have included the slipper clutch they offer as a hop-up instead of that three dollar motor.

Lots of plastic in the gearboxes though. That is a concern, especially with Castle brushless power. I got the slowest version but it looks like 100% punch control will still be in order until I can get that slipper. The long motor leads reach the ESC box easily.

Alright, breakfast is done. Time to build.
Old 03-20-2016, 08:49 AM   #681
Tech Regular

All done and ready for fun.

Tower had the slipper clutch in stock so it's on the way. I'll just take it easy and stay on-road until then.
Attached Thumbnails
Tamiya XV-01-img_5883.jpg   Tamiya XV-01-img_5888.jpg   Tamiya XV-01-img_5891.jpg   Tamiya XV-01-img_5882.jpg  

Last edited by Metal One; 03-20-2016 at 09:30 AM.
Metal One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 09:33 AM   #682
Tech Regular

Last edited by Metal One; 03-20-2016 at 12:56 PM.
Old 03-21-2016, 09:00 AM   #683
Tech Regular

I ran my XV-01 this morning on 2S in the work parking lot and it is brilliant! What a smooth driving and great handling little car. Very responsive steering and the rear end does pretty much what I want it to at all times. If I want it to drift, it drifts. If I want it to grip, it grips. Nice! The 4600 KV motor with the stock pinion performed great and stayed cool. Plenty of speed on 2S for the parking lot and my 5300 mAh hardcase pack fits without much effort. I used a Futaba S3305 High Torque servo for steering.

I usually don't like doing the first run in the work parking lot because it is so rough on touring cars but this chassis is made for that surface. It's rough with little patches of gravel and tiny rocks strewn all over the lot from so many cars coming and going. Impossible to keep clean. The XV-01 handles it all smoothly without anything getting jammed up and stays planted while doing so. With all the sliding and drifting I was doing, it never even lifted a wheel. I'm going to enjoy this little car very much.

The body is just too sweet. I don't even like 4 door hatchbacks and yet this Lancia just looks amazing in action. I haven't tried my others yet since HPI body mounts are in completely different locations from Tamiya. I added slivers of slingshot tubing to the body posts to eliminate body rattle so it all just glides along smoothly and quietly on the pavement.
Attached Thumbnails
Tamiya XV-01-img_5914.jpg   Tamiya XV-01-img_5916.jpg   Tamiya XV-01-img_5906.jpg   Tamiya XV-01-img_5912.jpg   Tamiya XV-01-img_5919.jpg  

Old 03-21-2016, 06:13 PM   #684
Tech Regular

2nd run where it counts, in front of the house.

I've got relatively new. clean and smooth pavement in front, wrapping 90 degrees around my front yard where it drops off to much older and more pitted pavement with gravel driveways connecting to it. The drop is only 1/8" to 1/4" high across the road but it's enough to send a touring car tumbling. The gravel doesn't help much either. The nice thing is that I can see to the end of the street in both directions so traffic has never been an issue. That bump though, is an issue. It wasn't always there but when the city repaved the street, they stopped right in front of the house and never finished the other direction. Jerks...

So for the past few years, I haven't been able to run touring cars in the street. Those days are over with the XV-01. It handles the bump with ease and barely makes a sound when it hits it, then it continues around the turn as if nothing happened. As I mentioned earlier, when a touring car hits that bump, even with the highest suspension settings, the front lip will scrape and bounce the car, sending it flying or tumbling. Either way, it's not good and I do not have that problem with the XV-01.

Speed! This is where I usually feel the need for a little more speed. I've got plenty of road in both directions on both sides of the curve and can let them rip in these sections. Even on 2S with the Castle 1406-4600 it's still plenty fast enough to get out of sight in only a few seconds so I'm very happy with how fast this car is and how cool it runs after 15 minutes of long passes up and down the street and through the turn with only the slightest lift off the throttle. If I do ever want more speed, my 3S 5000 70C pack fits pretty easily. That will make it scream.

This car is just brilliant.
Old 03-24-2016, 06:38 PM   #685
Tech Regular

1.5 hours of run time and the car still has not left the ground. Well... other than small hops from wrinkled pavement at work. Still un-flipped and unscratched. That's a new record for me and it's all because of this amazing chassis and the way it handles.

I have two WR8s. One is nitro so of course it's obnoxious. The other is Flux and... it's also a bit on the loud side for an electric vehicle. The 1/8th scale shaft drivetrain with 3 diffs, 6 dogbones and steel gears all over the place is loud, clackity and then there's the fan! Sounds like a hair dryer under the body. It's just a loud car. Then along comes the XV-01 in dang near silence. Just a bit of tire noise and the slightest whine from the motor. What a huge difference that adds to the whole experience of driving the XV-01.

Slipper clutch has arrived but I haven't installed it yet.

There are 5 of us at work with RC vehicles from the major brands and the other guys are now jealous. The quiet sound, the handling and the smooth performance of this chassis is not something any of us had ever experienced before, especially in that rough parking lot. It is truly an amazing chassis that fits our street / lot bashing needs in every way. The only problem is... 3 out of 5 of us don't want to build them! Slackers! Everyone should experience the fun of building diffs and shocks at least once.
Old 03-28-2016, 03:26 PM   #686
Tech Regular

Ok... I seem to be talking to myself here but I'll ask anyway.

How trustworthy is this TQRCRacing.com place? I registered and placed an order with them on Thursday and have not heard a peep from them. No registration or order confirmation, no receipt, no communication at all other than PayPal telling me that I sent them money.
Old 03-28-2016, 03:33 PM   #687
Tech Master

TQ Racing is very trustworthy, you may have a delay because of the Easter holiday. TQ is good people. I have spent a small fortune with them.
Old 03-28-2016, 03:43 PM   #688
Tech Regular

Ok. That is good to know. Was just a little worried since I've heard absolutely nothing from them.

Edit: Got home from work and my order was sitting on the counter. That's some amazing service. I guess I can deal with the lack of communication when the service is so fast.

Time for a few ugrades.
Attached Thumbnails
Tamiya XV-01-img_5952.jpg  

Last edited by Metal One; 03-28-2016 at 07:30 PM.
Old 03-31-2016, 04:06 AM   #689
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Just got myself an XV-01 Pro. I can't wait to start building it! I was at the hobby shop today and it took me quite a while to decide between this or the TA06R. I actually picked the TA06R and when I was about to pay, I changed my mind and picked this one instead

Got a couple of questions. First, what is the defference between the XV-01 specific aluminum suspension mounts and the 416 style mounts? Are they interchangeable? And aside from the slipper clutch, what other upgrades are recommended? Aluminum pulleys? Racing steering set?
breyton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 08:21 AM   #690
Tech Regular

Ah man. The Pro is sweet! All those aluminum goodies. Does it come with the carbon reinforced parts too? What about the steel diff gears? Their website doesn't do a very good job of explaining what the Pro version comes with over the others.

Aluminum pulleys and the larger aluminum suspension mounts were not in stock at TQ when I ordered so I replaced those with the carbon reinforced versions along with the battery cover, upper deck brace, motor and gearbox braces, A-arms, shock towers and steering parts. Slipper clutch is in. Steel diff gears are in. Aluminum shocks with long legs are mounted for more ground clearance. I've replaced most of the Phillips screws with stainless hex screws leftover from other RCscrewz kits. I'm ready to rally!

The steering system in this thing is as good as it gets. Strong and slop free. I've ordered a Fast Eddy sealed bearing kit for mine and an RCScrewz XV-01 kit to complete the screws I don't have. I would like to get a few more aluminum pieces to really complete it.
Attached Thumbnails
Tamiya XV-01-img_5967.jpg   Tamiya XV-01-img_5968.jpg   Tamiya XV-01-img_5969.jpg  

Last edited by Metal One; 03-31-2016 at 09:57 AM.