R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Tamiya XV-01 (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/692240-tamiya-xv-01-a.html)

DriftWoof 12-27-2014 11:48 PM

I want one of these so bad.

What's the difference between the pro and normal xv01? Is the pro worth it? I hope they won't be discontinued like the ta03f

Raman 12-28-2014 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by DriftWoof (Post 13744875)
I want one of these so bad.

What's the difference between the pro and normal xv01? Is the pro worth it? I hope they won't be discontinued like the ta03f

TRF dampers and CVDs which are over $120 in value in hop ups. The rest are blue aluminium tid bits which look nice... But not necessarily needed. So the trade off is hop ups or body

Raman 12-28-2014 05:00 PM

Getting mine ready for snow.. Took time to fillin holes in chassis bottom. I first taped the holes on chassis bottom. Then from the top side I used shoegoo. It dawned on me afterward that the shoegoo may not stick to chassis too well. So once it set, I removed tape in chassis bottom and filled remainder with epoxy.

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14...33d1bb059b.jpg

Smile 12-29-2014 05:21 AM

Nice mod Raman! Be sure to post an update on how well it holds up.

I understand you will be using it for snow, but do you think it will be strong enough to keep sharp rocks out of the chassis? Also, how did you deal with the stuff coming from the top of the steering rack?

Raman 12-29-2014 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by Smile (Post 13747104)
Nice mod Raman! Be sure to post an update on how well it holds up.

I understand you will be using it for snow, but do you think it will be strong enough to keep sharp rocks out of the chassis? Also, how did you deal with the stuff coming from the top of the steering rack?

I first placed tape over the holes on the chassis bottom. Then I filled the holes in from the top. Once the glue dried, I flipped chassis over and filled in the holes from bottom to make them flush with chassis.

I did not address the steering rack yet.. I am thinking of cutting a piece of lexan to create some sort of cover.

There's a guy on rccrawler that has installed balloons on tie rod ends, extended mud guard etc.. take a look

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/rally...v-01-a-23.html

F11972 01-02-2015 07:23 AM

I'm looking for a starting point for toe, camber and ride height measurements.
Thanks

metalnut 01-02-2015 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by F11972 (Post 13755602)
I'm looking for a starting point for toe, camber and ride height measurements.
Thanks

For... ?

You'll have to be a bit more specific about tires and running conditions. Are you racing? Bashing? On/off-road? Etc.

In general... 0* front toe, 3* rear toe, 1-2* of camber all around is pretty standard starting point for most "touring" cars these days. Ride height is around 5-6mm for racing, I'd say 10+mm for bashing.

F11972 01-02-2015 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by metalnut (Post 13756978)
For... ?

You'll have to be a bit more specific about tires and running conditions. Are you racing? Bashing? On/off-road? Etc.

In general... 0* front toe, 3* rear toe, 1-2* of camber all around is pretty standard starting point for most "touring" cars these days. Ride height is around 5-6mm for racing, I'd say 10+mm for bashing.

Sorry for the confusion, I just figured that this was the xv-01 thread, that this was the only car being discussed. Just using the tires that came with the kit for now.
Thanks for the info!

metalnut 01-03-2015 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by F11972 (Post 13757191)
Sorry for the confusion, I just figured that this was the xv-01 thread, that this was the only car being discussed. Just using the tires that came with the kit for now.
Thanks for the info!

Well, yes, I was referring to the XV-01, I just wasn't sure where you were using it. For instance, I ran the XV-01 in a TCS race and for that my setup was WAY different than how I have it set up to just run around a parking lot for fun. :tire:

With the stock tires, my basic recommendations should work well. Your ride height will vary depending on what shocks ends you use (the short or the long). Also, the car CAN have droop screws if you use long enough screws, so that's an alternative to using shock limiters to fine tune your roll centers.

DriftWoof 01-04-2015 12:28 AM

Have you guys used this a as a touring car for races?

metalnut 01-04-2015 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by DriftWoof (Post 13759225)
Have you guys used this a as a touring car for races?

Like I said, I used it in one outdoor TCS race and it did ok. My chassis is tweaked (and no way to undo it), the car is heavy and the belts add a lot of friction to the drivetrain, so it wasn't as fast as I was hoping, but handling was good. I think the TC version of the XV-01 does a lot better, but I could still see the same chassis/drivetrain restrictions being an issue. Given that you can get a good touring car for $120 these days, I'd look elsewhere unless you want Tamiya and you want the XV.

Raman 01-04-2015 08:49 AM

I also briefly raced my XV01 Pro in a TC class. Towards the end I actually started to do pretty well with it, I even matched the lap times of one of the top guys running an Xray T4, which more me is a major feat.. I think if I was running the TC style arms, I would have done even better.

I now race with a TB04 which Im actually having a harder time with. The front motor is advantageous on the infield makes the XV01 very quick.. the rear just follows it around.. where as with a normal TC, you need to balance on front steering with rear end grip.

Raman 01-27-2015 09:55 AM

I dont recall reading anyone trying DCJs with the XV-01.. So im here to report that the 42mm DCJs work perfectly on the XV02 with stock / rallye suspension.

greenpea76 01-27-2015 09:59 AM

I'm running an XV01TC pro with DCJ's. Previously, with the original universals, it clicks like mad in hard turns with the knuckles at a certain angle. It's a must with the spool that's included. The out drives wear fast though. I stuck a gear diff in there and the outdrives last much longer with putty in the gear case.

Raman 01-27-2015 10:23 AM

Which C hubs are you running on the TC? You may want to pick up the new versions from the TRf418 (4 degree) and TB04 Pro (6 degree) they have a larger opening to accommodate the DCJ.

Also are you running the 44mm or 42mm?