Like Tree167Likes

Tamiya XV-01

Old 10-07-2017, 10:26 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Raman
I dont know if you ordered the chassis yet but TamiyaUSA has it for 11.99 on their site
Damn.. thanks. I actually ordered already from Hong Kong. Doh! I'll be sure to break the next one right quick so I can take advantage of the deal.

I already have the suspension components for 2 cars. Extra drive line parts, like dog bones etc.

Its too bad all the transmission parts are so hard to piece together. Or else I'd make another car... $50 for 2x steel diff sets, $25 for a full set of bearings, $12 for transmission casings. Maybe $20 in misc shafts and spacers for the transmissions. That's like over $100. Hrm... I have all the hardware.

Why do I need a new other xv-01.... I already have 2 complete. Must resist.

Last edited by 4roller; 10-07-2017 at 10:50 PM.
Old 10-14-2017, 10:12 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have 5 of them, 4 runners and 1 roller.
Old 10-15-2017, 06:58 PM
Tech Addict

The new chassis came in the mail a couple days ago.

Side by side stock and TC suspension.

By adding spacers under the suspension mounts you can get get some extra droop.

My already modded TC suspension doesn't give me as much ride height as the stock suspension with the spacer mod and shaved hub carriers. By doing these two things, the front arms can really droop!

I might go back to that super droop setup just because this is now my dedicated rally car.

Not pictured, I swapped out the yeah racing 55mm dampers with some long CVA dampers form a cc01.. I think their length is about 64mm center to center where the yeah racing with long ends were about 58mm. It might be overkill, but rally is life.

Anyway. My xv-01 is very predictable now with the Austar rally tires (pictured above) they have very good traction. On a hard turn the rear end will swing out, but not spin out like some other radials and slicks I had used. The slipper clutch really helps keeps the motor from lugging on hard acceleration but at the expense of explosive off the line starts.

The car doesn't traction roll either, probably because I am using pretty stiff springs, blues up front, yellows in the rear. I think I may up the damper oil to 40wt with the metal top CVA pistons.
Old 10-19-2017, 05:09 PM
Tech Apprentice

Smile XV-01

Hi All,
I finally have a working XV-01. It took a bit of fairy dust to cram all of the electronics in to the enclosure.

It is a modest setup. I am running a 60amp Onikisi ESC and matching 21.5T Sensored motor and 20kg PowerHD WP servo. I added just a little bling with some silver a-arms and knuckles.

Old 10-19-2017, 08:45 PM
Tech Addict

Yes that electronics box is a tight fit. Especially with fat wired ESCs.

What kind of alloy arms are those, who makes?

Nice ride! Tell us how it drives.
Old 10-20-2017, 04:11 AM
Tech Apprentice

BoomRacing makes the arms. GPM makes the knuckles.

Thank you and will do.

Originally Posted by 4roller
Yes that electronics box is a tight fit. Especially with fat wired ESCs.

What kind of alloy arms are those, who makes?

Nice ride! Tell us how it drives.
Old 10-20-2017, 05:35 AM
LJH
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mr_RCGuy
Hi All,
I finally have a working XV-01. It took a bit of fairy dust to cram all of the electronics in to the enclosure.

It is a modest setup. I am running a 60amp Onikisi ESC and matching 21.5T Sensored motor and 20kg PowerHD WP servo. I added just a little bling with some silver a-arms and knuckles.

Looks great.

I see it looks like you are running the same spring rate front and back. You may find out the it over steers a lot with that set up knowing how front biased the weight distribution is on the XV-01.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 10-20-2017, 11:52 AM
Tech Apprentice

@Jim, Yes, it is still stock. I want to drive it before I make any changes. I hope to get some dirt on it this weekend.
Old 10-22-2017, 09:11 AM
Tech Champion

One of the nice things about the XV-01 is it makes good use of "modest setups". You don't need to get really fancy to enjoy this car.

16-gauge wire is plenty for this car. You might even be able to get away with 18-gauge. Hell, the ESC on my Traxxas Summit has 16-gauge wire and it can still wheelie high enough to scrape the rear bumper.
Old 10-23-2017, 05:58 AM
Tech Apprentice

I took it to the local onroad track Saturday. It ran good, but my gearing is way to low. My stock M05 is actually faster, lol. I ordered a 30t pinion. That and the stock spur should take me from 8:1 to about 6:1. I think that will be plenty for the Rally track.

Last edited by Mr_RCGuy; 10-24-2017 at 04:00 AM.
Old 10-23-2017, 08:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 365 (100%+)

About to order an xv01. Quick question. Will the long damper version restrict the type of bodies I can use? Thanks
Old 10-23-2017, 08:45 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by flat6
About to order an xv01. Quick question. Will the long damper version restrict the type of bodies I can use? Thanks
That's a good question. For sure even with the normal damper length chassis you can't use super low hooded bodies like a porche. I have had instances where if you are going for the slammed look on say a sedan or hatch, the standard damper tower version will basically be holding the hood. So I am guessing it might. I guess it depends if you want to have your wheel arches touching the tops of your tires?
Old 10-23-2017, 02:25 PM
Tech Champion

I have a HPI Porsche 911 GT3 body on one of my XV-01s. The body sits on the bottom set of holes on the front body posts, but it fits fine in that position. The long-damper shock towers wouldn't fit a Porsche body, but why would you run a Porsche body on a car with rally suspension?
Old 10-27-2017, 10:18 PM
Tech Addict

Default On 3 wheels

Hello XV-01 owners.

Has anyone experienced the rear inner wheels lifting on hard turns?

For multi surface rally, I've been using larger 75mm tires as of late. They are cushier and have a taller sidewall so I know this is a major contributing factor. Tire deflection and sidewall roll. This can't be helped unless I get a firmer foams. But apart from that solution, I know this happens on a stock xv-01.

I am looking for ways to dial down that 3 wheel turn.

So far I've tried stiffer front springs and adding back the sway bars. I also used stiffer rear springs and angled the rear dampers. All of this helps but the 3 wheel turn is still there.

My observation is when turning, there is a natural tendency to slow down, which forces weight to the front and outside wheel, deforming it, compressing the spring here and by lifting the rear inner wheel. A diagonal weight transfer.

Have any of you successfully canceled this out? It causes the inner rear wheel to lift and spin, loosing power on corner exit. You replies are appreciated.
Old 10-28-2017, 04:08 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Check sag, droop and up travel that they're even side to side.
Roll centre too soft?
Chassis flex and tweak?
Damper setup?

Few things could cause it I suppose, but I think adding a roll bar is a bandaid.
Saying that though, sometimes it's not completely avoidable and is part of a compromise.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.