R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-16-2013, 02:26 PM   #31
Tech Champion

I broke a lower pod plate as well...but totally blame myself for that. Went out on a track that I knew was loose with the stock configuration to see what it would do before putting a loose track setup on it. Lost rear grip near the end of a long straight at full speed and plowed sideways into the barrier, rear tire first. Broke a side link and the lower pod plate where the screw for the center pivot is. I don't blame the car for that...I should have known better
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:07 PM   #32
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to tnt2671
Default .

the 5.2 imho is a easier car to setup and drive and there are good setups out there that are really dialed and make the car an easy car to drive. i own both a crc and ae and in the end i guess it all comes down to driver as both w/ the right setup and driver are awesome cars and obviously can win big races but for your average weekend club racer i just think theirs a lot less work to do w/ the 5.2 to get it to work well for a broader spectrum of people. as far as the durability goes i cant complain about either the crc or ae both have been great!
tnt2671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:14 PM   #33
Tech Champion

This is the feeling I have also. As a beginner and from everything I read (I don't have the 12R5.2 yet) the CRC seems more complicated for many reasons:

- needs updated parts
- eventually needs the altered ego chassis if your electronics don't fit
- is more nimble but less stable than a standard chassis

I really like the CRC but it almost sounds like a prototype. Very specific design that needs very specific electronics and precautions.

This is just a feeling of course, I didn't run them yet. I will start with the 12R5.2 first considering it has been run and if I'm really satisfied with it I might sell the CRC. To do a comparison I bought a 6 year old Corally SP12X, new in its box and everythnig feels smoother (diff, steering etc..) on the Corally. The quality is a step ahead compared to CRC.

Another example that might sound stupid: why do I have to cut the servo to make it fit? I've never seen this type of mod on any car.. These could be all isolated details but when you add them all together it doesn't sound too attractive.

Last edited by Pulse_; 01-16-2013 at 03:28 PM.
Pulse_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:17 PM   #34
No9
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CypressMidWest View Post
As I understand it, CRC was replacing early chassis with the revised part free of charge. They also made the revised chassis a running change to the kit, so no further "upgrades" would be necessary. This is certainly not the first car in the RC world to have a minor teething problem shortly after release.

I personally haven't seen any broken pod plates locally. All of my components are still intact, and I have had some rather nasty impacts at the hands of TC's and a few "unscheduled flights" of my own.

I feel it's unfair to make broad generalizations based on such limited experience with a product.
There was no free of charge in this instance.As for limited experience with this product yes that is true my experience is limited ,but my experience with carbon fiber is not.
Im not trying to bash a brand ,the fact that the company has revised this area is great but it also tells me that my comments are not broad generalizations but instead a recognized problem that has been rectified.

Supported by MRJ RACING.COM.AU
No9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:30 PM   #35
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by No9 View Post
There was no free of charge in this instance.As for limited experience with this product yes that is true my experience is limited ,but my experience with carbon fiber is not.
Im not trying to bash a brand ,the fact that the company has revised this area is great but it also tells me that my comments are not broad generalizations but instead a recognized problem that has been rectified.
How am I supposed to know if I bought the updated version of the XTi?
Old 01-16-2013, 03:34 PM   #36
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to tnt2671

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulse_ View Post
This is the feeling I have also. As a beginner and from everything I read (I don't have the 12R5.2 yet) the CRC seems more complicated for many reasons:

- needs updated parts
- eventually needs the altered ego chassis if your electronics doesn't fit
- is more nimble but less stable than a standard chassis

I really like the CRC but it almost sounds like a prototype. Very specific design that needs very specific electronics and precautions.

This is just a feeling of course as I didn't run them yet.
i wouldnt say you need any updated parts on either besides some setup parts ( shims , and just things to get your setup correct ) but you are def. pressed for space on the xti chassis so electronics need to be small as possible and placement needs to be well thought out to make it look clean which plenty of people have done , it's not that either are that different there both 1/12 pan cars but the crc seems take a more experienced person to setup and get to work and i beleive crc was making this car for the the experienced 1/12 scale driver who knows exactly what they want and know exactly how to get it there were you can throw the ae down w/ something like a hebert setup off the site and your going to have a pretty good car right out of the box w/ only minor tweaking to your liking, again i'm no pro either and i think both are great companies and great cars. whatever car you choose i hope you enjoy
tnt2671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:41 PM   #37
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnt2671 View Post
i wouldnt say you need any updated parts on either besides some setup parts ( shims , and just things to get your setup correct ) but you are def. pressed for space on the xti chassis so electronics need to be small as possible and placement needs to be well thought out to make it look clean which plenty of people have done , it's not that either are that different there both 1/12 pan cars but the crc seems take a more experienced person to setup and get to work and i beleive crc was making this car for the the experienced 1/12 scale driver who knows exactly what they want and know exactly how to get it there were you can throw the ae down w/ something like a hebert setup off the site and your going to have a pretty good car right out of the box w/ only minor tweaking to your liking, again i'm no pro either and i think both are great companies and great cars. whatever car you choose i hope you enjoy
Thanks, I already enjoy 1/12 for the cars themselves (straight forward design), the dedication from drivers who run the class, the grip,.. I can't wait to drive one. It might -it will- be tricky for the beginning but I'm patient and know I'm a total beginner here so I'll take my time. I need a quite user friendly (as user friendly as a 12th scale can be ) chassis to begin with.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:23 PM   #38
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Even if you don't have the new chassis, just put a real CRC hard foam bumper on the car and you will have no trouble keeping that front ear intact.
Current rides: Diggity DC4 Chassis #10. Losi JRX-S Type R. Losi 22 4.0, CRC Xi (retired), CRC Altered Ego Aluminum Chassis. Associated B4 based dirt oval late model.
WTB: Carpet racing in Arizona.
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:08 PM   #39
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

At our club we have consistent turnouts of both Mod and Stock 1/12th. We have a mix of chassis, to be sure, but there are a lot of 12R5's and Xti's out there.

In Mod, the old track record was set by an AE team driver by fractions over a CRC team driver. The current track record is held by a CRC team driver by fractions over an AE team driver. In Mod, with the CRC, it would seem a necessary thing to get the Altered Ego conversion. The standard Xti is a handful for Mod. Neither car rolls with what I would call a pure "box" setup. FWIW, I roll a 12R5.2 and love it.

In Stock, I have to give the edge to CRC, at least as I observe it (I call a lot of races.) The Xti builds up light and it's wicked nimble. The Xti inline is dialed for Stock. The 12R5.2 is very good, but it's a bit of a pig. A very stable, durable pig, but still a porker. The Xti rear height adjustment is dialed. The Xti front height adjustment is retarded. On the 12R5.2 both are standard issue and easy to work with.

Bottom line, both are the shit. Pick one, stick with it, learn it. If you're running Mod with the Xti, get the Altered Ego. Otherwise, for stock, leave it alone and run inline. Adapt the 12R5.2 with springs and shims in the normal way.

In either case, be assured, it's you, not the car.

The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store.
Stand it like a man, and give some back. --Al Swearengen
PutAwayWet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:38 PM   #40
Tech Elite

Send a message via ICQ to valk Send a message via AIM to valk Send a message via MSN to valk

bah. that doesnt make the decision any easier for me. personally im upgrading a 12r5.1 that is plenty fast, but never bad to have a new car around and i need some discontinued parts =(

I wonder if the nimbleness of the xti would be a pitfall for me having become used to the mellow associated.
or if i should just stick to blue. all my spares would be compatible EXCEPT the lower arms?
www.irocc.ca - www.wcics.ca - www.vrcworld.com - http://proampsrc.com/ - www.teamassociated.com
valk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:15 PM   #41
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumper View Post
It not being metric is a pretty weak argument. Everyone I know in the States that races has both standard and metric tools. So you have to pick up a couple a wrenches? Is that really such a big deal?
It's not a big deal if you only run CRC cars. But if you run another car with metric screws, having the extra set of tools kinda blows. And a set of high-quality wrenches isn't cheap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumper View Post
You can't go wrong with either car.
All the more reason to use something like metric vs SAE screws as the deciding factor.

-Mike
grippgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:16 PM   #42
Tech Champion

Yeah I wish they had stuck with the old front ride height adjustment on the Xti. For the 12R5 you might want to look into the CRC rear ride height adjusters...they have a set that comes in .25mm increments for even finer adjustment. I'm not sure what sizes come with the R5. If it is anything like the old cars it will need an aftermarket set like the CRC or the IRS.
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:17 AM   #43
Tech Champion

Just to let you know I decided to sell the XTi and keep the 12R5.2
Old 02-09-2013, 09:48 PM   #44
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default crc gen xl vs crc xti

I own a crc xl / crc x and they are some and look forward to them tommorrow in Austin