R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-02-2013, 01:11 PM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default Orion Vortex VST Pro Motors

Are there many people using these motors in boosted class? I have just purchased a 13.5 and tried it in my T4 with the same settings as I run the Speed Passion and it felt slow and sluggish in comparison.
Do these motors have to be geared differently?
thanks
Southern Tasmania Model Car Club
lethallee69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:55 PM   #2
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I have not ran boosted with these motors. However I have ran 17.5 blinky, and when I switched to the Orion motor it did feel slower. But after practicing/racing with the motor it was just as fast time wise. It took awhile to figure out a good timing/gearing for the motor, but after it felt really nice.
Damon_English is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:26 PM   #3
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

As far as I know, the Orion motors like to have a tooth more on the pinion. At the Worlds Oscar told me to go just a little bigger on the roll-out.

For example, in extreme, with the LRP X12 I run about 48mm, with the Orion about 73mm with 13,5T Boosted 12th scale.

Timing should be between A and B.

Regards Robert
Old 01-03-2013, 12:53 AM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (96%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lethallee69 View Post
Are there many people using these motors in boosted class? I have just purchased a 13.5 and tried it in my T4 with the same settings as I run the Speed Passion and it felt slow and sluggish in comparison.
Do these motors have to be geared differently?
thanks
I run the 17.5 version in boosted and i really loved these motor's till the new trinity came out . I feel that these motors only have around 24 degrees timing at factory zero and really need to add around 2 Ticks of motor timing to wake up. I initially made the mistake of Turing the timing to the right and taking timing out the can and then ran it the complete opposite side and cooked a motor so don't be a dill like me LOL. I also found the opposite with everyone's thoughts on gearing as coupled with the R10 speedy I was running around 6.5 fdr compared to our tracks usual 5.5ish ratio. I found with the higher ratio having a higher start rpm created excellent take off and huge top end.

What speedy are you running with what settings? Pm if you don't want to share our settings with the world

Walter Rc Hobby - Serpent 4X

Nosram - R1wurks - Sanwa - Hudy - Muchmore
Benzaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:00 AM   #5
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzaah View Post
I run the 17.5 version in boosted and i really loved these motor's till the new trinity came out . I feel that these motors only have around 24 degrees timing at factory zero and really need to add around 2 Ticks of motor timing to wake up. I initially made the mistake of Turing the timing to the right and taking timing out the can and then ran it the complete opposite side and cooked a motor so don't be a dill like me LOL. I also found the opposite with everyone's thoughts on gearing as coupled with the R10 speedy I was running around 6.5 fdr compared to our tracks usual 5.5ish ratio. I found with the higher ratio having a higher start rpm created excellent take off and huge top end.

What speedy are you running with what settings? Pm if you don't want to share our settings with the world
Hi Benzaah,
settings are as follows
Xray T4
84/21 6.8 FDR
SP GT 2.0 PRO
428 software
DRRS 7
Boost Timing 36
turbo slope 18
turbo 30
Start RPM 3000
Delay 0.2
ACC 400
this is what I was running my SP MMM 13.5 and it had plenty of rip and top end
track is medium size with a good lap time of 17.5s
thanks
Old 01-03-2013, 05:10 AM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (96%+)

The Sp works much the same as the Orion so those settings look fine except I would add the motor timing up to 2 ticks, bump your start rpm up to 6 or 7000(i use 5000 as standard with a 17.5) and take off a 2 or 3 teeth on the pinion. With your current start rpm you are adding a lot of timing before the motor has even had a chance to wind up which imo is bad. Taking off the teeth will really make the motor scream as the ESC can get a chance to add the timing it wants too as often a lower fdr will hold back the timing the esc can throw at the motor. If you have good speed but are coming off a bit hot you can bump up the timing acc up to 550 to stretch out the boost further.

Hope that helps. Regards Benzaah.

Walter Rc Hobby - Serpent 4X

Nosram - R1wurks - Sanwa - Hudy - Muchmore
Benzaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:46 AM   #7
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzaah View Post
The Sp works much the same as the Orion so those settings look fine except I would add the motor timing up to 2 ticks, bump your start rpm up to 6 or 7000(i use 5000 as standard with a 17.5) and take off a 2 or 3 teeth on the pinion. With your current start rpm you are adding a lot of timing before the motor has even had a chance to wind up which imo is bad. Taking off the teeth will really make the motor scream as the ESC can get a chance to add the timing it wants too as often a lower fdr will hold back the timing the esc can throw at the motor. If you have good speed but are coming off a bit hot you can bump up the timing acc up to 550 to stretch out the boost further.

Hope that helps. Regards Benzaah.
Ran the car yesterday using your suggestions and was very impressed
Coming down 2 teeth on the pinion really helped the motor wind out and the higher start RPM @6000 made a huge difference.
Track temps were up to 45degsC and my motor fan decided to pack it in at the start of the day yet the motor never went higher than 70deg without one,
Thanks for your input
Old 02-03-2013, 09:41 PM   #8
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Does anyone have a gearing comparison/ overall impressions between the vst and the d3.5 in 17.5? Also what's a good running temp for these?
Old 04-28-2013, 09:52 PM   #9
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to sportssedanman
Default End bell timing for VST Pro

Hi All,

I have a 13.5T VST Pro. There are 9 timing marks, but what amount of timing is each mark?

Where should I start my timing?

Hope someone can help.
sportssedanman is offline   Reply With Quote