Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-03-2005, 10:19 AM   #76
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Johnnytc3

Quote:
Originally posted by Charles
TF isn't out yet? What is a TF?

You said that TC4 is more durable than a Carbon Fibre car, I would disagree. If you break a chassis in either car it's definitely the nut behind the wheel problem . That aside the drive trains of the non TC4's are very sturdy and of higher quality and well engineered.

If I had to drive a car that I could get parts for locally, I would go with the JRXS. I know it's not shaft drive but on the track they do hook up out of the box. If your hobby shop carries parts for anything but assoc and Losi, you are lucky.
Im going to have to disagree with you there, while the tc4 in general is more fragile than its competition, its drivetrain is one of the most durable of all the shafties. You see other cars using the tc3 gears, not the other way around. A fellow pro4 racer stripped his ring gear every run this past weekend, this is even with the newer gears.

Last edited by Johnnytc3; 05-03-2005 at 10:33 AM.
Johnnytc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 10:26 AM   #77
Tech Regular

Seriously though, once you buy a car, the #1 reason to like your car is if you like the way it handles. Accociated cars (TC3 and TC4) are not known to handle all that well. Yes they are competitive. But day in and day out you will like the handling of the Xray, Pro4, XXS, JRXS, TRF415, etc.. I am willing to bet.

Resale value, upgrade the TC4 with the previously posted $228 worth of upgrades to be competitive, and what do you have? A car not worth much, from the point of view of a quality piece of equipment.

The other cars are competitive out of the box!!!!!!!!!!! Just my 2c to help a fellow RC driver to get the best car the first time and not get a load of frustration and junk.
Charles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 10:33 AM   #78
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to hurley081182 Send a message via Yahoo to hurley081182

i think the most durable is a sd. i drove one at a race and i couldnt keep it under control(i found out later i forgot to put 2 screws that hold the tire). i hit a railroad tie head on and my car didnt break anything and i was goin atleast 20mph with it. i have a pro4 and compared to my sd i think the sd is better hands down. for me being a noob at driving still i can setup that car without any problems, and it was super free when i drive it. im never getting another car other then a yok anymore after having this car. well i might try others but im really happy with this one

and i agree with charles. for a new guy like me i could feel a big difference between the xxxs and a sd.
Old 05-03-2005, 10:39 AM   #79
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Seriously though, once you buy a car, the #1 reason to like your car is if you like the way it handles. Accociated cars (TC3 and TC4) are not known to handle all that well. Yes they are competitive. But day in and day out you will like the handling of the Xray, Pro4, XXS, JRXS, TRF415, etc.. I am willing to bet.

Resale value, upgrade the TC4 with the previously posted $228 worth of upgrades to be competitive, and what do you have? A car not worth much, from the point of view of a quality piece of equipment.

The other cars are competitive out of the box!!!!!!!!!!! Just my 2c to help a fellow RC driver to get the best car the first time and not get a load of frustration and junk.

Charles,
Im only disagreeing with your drivetrain point, i agree with everything else your saying. I wouldnt recomment the tc4 either

As far as out of the box ready, i would say pro4 and the yok sd series.
Old 05-03-2005, 10:46 AM   #80
Tech Regular

Hi JohnnyTC3, sorry about the TC3(Ihave 3 of them also).

I know from experience that the TC3/4 drive trains are good but the rest of the car will be a black hole of parts replacement$$$$.

From the top THE SHOCKS ARE POOR DESIGN. For all of the engineers when was the last time anybody designed a shock that MUST have air in it? WELL, anybody????? That because air in the shock greatly hamper the proper functioning of the shock!!!! Oh you mean Assoc shock have air? Well yes they do. Glaring design flaw. You want a great handling car you say. Get a car that was produced by a company that produced the shocks right, not by a company that would rather sell cheap stuff because the make sooooo much more money and nobody seems to know the difference. Shocks are extremely important to a great handling car!!!!

Hinge pins- They have always been soft- read junk- from Assoc. Lets see 10 differents manufactures have mad a living selling hinge pins for Assoc sedans. HMMMM why doesn't Assoc Just give a good pin in the first place. Because they make soooo much more money selling poor quality.. Hinge pin bends, car drives like, oh I don't knoe.....crap, that's it. You run right in and buy more junk hinge pins from Assoc. and the millions that have to keep buying junk because you need them b4 the next heat.
Put their kids through college with the amount of hinge pins we have to keep buying. This has gone on for how many years? Since the TC3.

You car will sound like a broken vacuum cleaner. Hard to hear if there is any other problem with the car on the track.

I could go on and on. Really, the bean counters are in controll of Associated. They are happy with the millions that they make by not using higher quality components in the TC4. If any other company could make millions of dollars by selling a toy like car to race with, would they do it? YES. Associated is the only one to get away with being able to sell racers Toys r us quality. Look at Losi- They went with Carbon fibre- why? Because the Touring car market has somewhat matured and nobdy that has been racing wants an all plastic sedan when better products are available.

The most telling fact is- The TC4 drivers are selling their cars already for other cars(not all but some). That's rarely happening with Xray, JRXS, TRF415, Pro4, etc....
Old 05-03-2005, 10:59 AM   #81
Tech Fanatic

Exactly,
Thats why i drive a Yok SD now. I need to change my user handle, ppl tend to automatically think im biased towards associated, lol
Old 05-03-2005, 11:14 AM   #82
Tech Initiate

Default handling

When the TC4 is dialed in, it handles as well as the others. My son actually likes driving it better than the Pro4. Frankly, I prefer the Pro4 handling, we plan on swapping this weekend. I think it comes down to driving style against the setup. He is smoother and takes a good line nearly all the time, and I am sloppy and like to use the throttle to help correct my mistakes. The TC4 is very planted in the rear with just a touch of throttle induced oversteer for the best results, and the Pro4 likes to be slung around and has more throttle induced oversteer for a comparable setup.

Day in day out driving preference is a wash. I'll take either of them. The TC4 is not a pile of junk and I care less about resale value and more about fun. I would not recommend it to a newbie unless they just want to have fun on the street or like to feed dollars to the AE marketing machine for upgrades.

Last edited by thepitcrew; 05-03-2005 at 11:21 AM.
thepitcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 12:14 PM   #83
Tech Regular

Hello thepitcrew,

"When the TC4 is dialed in, it handles as well as the others. My son actually likes driving it better than the Pro4".

"When" - That's the point for most RC drivers. Most other cars handle well day in and day out. Not so with TCwhatever.

"Frankly, I prefer the Pro4 handling"

- I agree- pro4 is known for handling as are most other cars. The TC3/4 are not. Theres nothing more frustrating than having A CAR THAT HANDLES BAD. I think this has alot to do with poor shocks and etc. Take tamiya for example- they are known for great shocks, why? Are well engineered shocks valuable? YES. Tamiya shocks are purchased for use on other cars.

"The TC4 is not a pile of junk and I care less about resale value and more about fun".

I just don't think it's fun to pay big bucks for a car that's of lower quality. I also don't have fun with a car that does not handle. Maybe I'm wrong. NOT. Ferrari vs. Volkswagon. Yes you can make Volks fast but why. Exercise in futility.

TC4 is of far less quality than most sedans used for racing. I think that qualifies as junk in this instance. If the TC4 was 1/3 the price it would be okay as you would knoe that you were using a car on the cheap and don't want a 1st rate car. But the TC4 is expensive and not a good value for the intended purpose compared to what other manufactures are delivering to the RC racer.

"I would not recommend it to a newbie"

I would recommend the other cars to a newbie if they wanted to race. I think you are agreeing with me, that TC4 is less than ideal and there are better valus elsewhere
Old 05-03-2005, 01:06 PM   #84
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Hello thepitcrew,

"When the TC4 is dialed in, it handles as well as the others. My son actually likes driving it better than the Pro4".

"When" - That's the point for most RC drivers. Most other cars handle well day in and day out. Not so with TCwhatever.

"Frankly, I prefer the Pro4 handling"

- I agree- pro4 is known for handling as are most other cars. The TC3/4 are not. Theres nothing more frustrating than having A CAR THAT HANDLES BAD. I think this has alot to do with poor shocks and etc. Take tamiya for example- they are known for great shocks, why? Are well engineered shocks valuable? YES. Tamiya shocks are purchased for use on other cars.

"The TC4 is not a pile of junk and I care less about resale value and more about fun".

I just don't think it's fun to pay big bucks for a car that's of lower quality. I also don't have fun with a car that does not handle. Maybe I'm wrong. NOT. Ferrari vs. Volkswagon. Yes you can make Volks fast but why. Exercise in futility.

TC4 is of far less quality than most sedans used for racing. I think that qualifies as junk in this instance. If the TC4 was 1/3 the price it would be okay as you would knoe that you were using a car on the cheap and don't want a 1st rate car. But the TC4 is expensive and not a good value for the intended purpose compared to what other manufactures are delivering to the RC racer.

"I would not recommend it to a newbie"

I would recommend the other cars to a newbie if they wanted to race. I think you are agreeing with me, that TC4 is less than ideal and there are better valus elsewhere

Man, you are entitled to your opinion, however TC4s are not low-quality junk. They win all the time at various races around the country.

I think too many people have forgotten that aluminum this and carbon fiber that don't make a car "fast," the driver does.

As for it costing alot, you MUST be high.

TC4 = $199.00
Xray FK '05 = $369.00
JRXS = $350.00
Yoke BD = $390.00

-Me
Soviet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 01:15 PM   #85
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to hurley081182 Send a message via Yahoo to hurley081182

Quote:
Originally posted by Johnnytc3
Exactly,
Thats why i drive a Yok SD now. I need to change my user handle, ppl tend to automatically think im biased towards associated, lol
you have tc3 in your name why would anyone thing u are being biased towards associated
Old 05-03-2005, 01:24 PM   #86
Tech Initiate

Default Cost is msleading

The initial outlay is cheaper on the TC4, but after that it gets expensive. I don't believe in putting pretty parts on for no return in performance. I made careful choices to bring the weight down and at the sametime fix some nagging problems. Mine is an early TC4 and the parts fit and strength left a lot to be desired.. that lead to different pins and TB's and replacing those cheap plastic pivot mounts that strip after you change a couple of A arms (on a short mean little track, the boards take their toll on those arms with a simple brush of the wall). Then navigating those short back to back to back 180 degreee turns and doing it fast takes a 2.0 toe-in on the rear (more bucks). To do this with control and balance takes front and rear swaybars. The early chassis was tweaked (not flat) which had to be replaced with a new one (carbon fiber was my choice). S0, lot's of dollars later it runs.

I think that the earlier post that said when you ask a question like this you get lot's of opinions is true and they are based on individual preferences. In the end, I'm happy with the car though lighter in dollars then I could have been.
thepitcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 03:04 PM   #87
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by Soviet
Man, you are entitled to your opinion, however TC4s are not low-quality junk. They win all the time at various races around the country.

I think too many people have forgotten that aluminum this and carbon fiber that don't make a car "fast," the driver does.

As for it costing alot, you MUST be high.

TC4 = $199.00
Xray FK '05 = $369.00
JRXS = $350.00
Yoke BD = $390.00
When cost is mentioned by others on this thread, one must consider the number of items needed to bring a TC4 from its' plastic "Radio-Shacky" initial form, to a top-line tourer like an FK05, JRX-S or Pro-4. The fact that if you have any inclination to run Mod with the car you have to buy new diffs before you build the kit? Tin hingepins? and the list goes on.........

That's what I call value!!!
Team CRC, PowerPush, Access Race Place, US Indoor Champs, CD SUPERPRO, RK Designs, TxDSkingraphix, Cypress, Founder and lead instructor of the Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driver Training Program, enroll now.....
CypressMidWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 03:07 PM   #88
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Brian McGreevy Send a message via Yahoo to Brian McGreevy

Corally RDX Carpet spec.

You'll have everything you need to be fast on the rug.

Corally RDX Oneway (US) kit

You'll have everything you need to be fast with rubber tires besides the full black spring set.

Just another to consider...
USVTA Member #211

Support Formula SAE - get kids into engineering!
http://motorsports.illinois.edu/
Brian McGreevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 03:08 PM   #89
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to RJonesJr

I like how Ruggles put the pural "s" on diffs because you need a lot on that car.
RJonesJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 03:30 PM   #90
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to i_got_m8_4_$85

TC4-

I love the car and it was my first real touring car (befor i had a TL-01). when i got it i did break a lot of arm and rear hub carriers and i was pist but the car did handle fine. all i did was losi rear hub carriers (5$) wide bumper (20$) irs front outdrive (25$) springs (7$). the 57$ was not very big price and i haven't broken 1 thing.

So big deal its molded plastic-theres this kid paul whos got a tc4 and hes beatin guys with x-rays losi and all that stuff. he also doesnt even have a lot more hopups than what i have. im still learnin i only got the car 4 xmas and im 13. like i said i love the thing

i also say the molded plastic is a good thing because it keeps the price down so people who want a car to play with and one that can win races can have it. and if you really need the upgraded stuff get the f/t kit.

Last edited by i_got_m8_4_$85; 05-03-2005 at 05:19 PM.
i_got_m8_4_$85 is offline   Reply With Quote