R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-13-2005, 04:33 PM   #31
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Yeah but you've got to pull the damn thing out and sharpen and realign it twice a race day. What a pain in the ass. I've never touched mine in three years. Well worth the extra money to me.
Jon Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 04:38 PM   #32
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

there are different grades of carbide for different materials.you also need a razor sharp edge and tight chip breaker.this is why the bits from MSC and Mcmaster carr dont work well at first.Integy has a real nice carbide bit that doesnt need to be reground to work well.as for the life of the bit,if your v-guides are alligned perfectly and you tighten the gibbs so there is no slop in the lathe and also set the tool bit height correctly,your carbide bit will last much longer.a diamond bit has a much harder,sharper edge than a carbide but is hard to tell when it is chipped.the only way to tell is to measure the comm with an anvil micrometer and see if it is out of round.when a carbide bit chips or dulls,it will show in the cut.one way or another,a dull or chipped bit will cause deflection and push the comm away from the cutting edge causing an out of round cut.
if you ar experienced with cutting comms i would go for a diamond bit.if you are not really that careful,i would use a carbide.a diamond bit used properly will out last a carbide hands down but you can still get 75-80 cuts out of a carbide when set up correctly.
J Concepts
protc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 04:43 PM   #33
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by raving-monkey
if a carbide can cut aswell as a diamond to start with....why spend 100 dollars on a diamond when you can spend 10 dollars on 1 carbide....

i bet 10 carbide will last longer than 1 diamond
Uhhhh, sure buddy. In reality, everyone agrees that a carbide bit can do 10 cuts when new. So for 100 bucks you can get 100 comm cuts. Opposed to the diamond bit that can get 10,000+ cuts. Even if you resharpen the bit. The price of having it resharped will outweight the cost of a diamond bit in the long run.

No, it isn't overkill when the smoothest comm is usually the fastest. So why settle for anything less than the best?
ChadCapece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 04:51 PM   #34
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Ten carbide bits might last me a season or two. Of course, that's assuming I didn't get fed up with changing the bits and resharpening a few times a week.

Like I said in an earlier post, I've been using th same diamond bit in my lathe since 1990. I set it up once, and haven't had to touch it since.

Thousands and thousands of trouble free cuts, and like I also said before, the thing will probably outlive me.
Old 04-13-2005, 04:52 PM   #35
Tech Master

Send a message via MSN to raving-monkey

suppose your right...didn't think of it that way.

just a hefty investment at the start...easier to pay 10 dollars every month or what ever. (well it is for me,for smeone who doesn't work)
raving-monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 05:01 PM   #36
Tech Master

Quote:
i put my whole paycheck on the diamond bit.
dakrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 05:13 PM   #37
Tech Lord

better hope the guy doing the comparison doesnt hit the tabs.

c'mon guys,both types of bits work fine.the diamond will last longer we all know but not everyone wants to go for the money in one shot.i got through 1 full season with a carbide bit and never had to resharpen.the biggest killer of the carbide bit is vibration from the v-guides slightly out of allignment.it took me about 2 hours to get my lathe set perfect but now it has cut perfect for me for 8 months without resharpening the bit.
J Concepts
Old 04-13-2005, 05:22 PM   #38
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Most carbide bits have a rounded tip, you will need to sharpen it to a point out of the package.

If you want diamonds or need yours resharpened, try these guys.
http://www.carterdiamond.com/
Old 04-13-2005, 05:43 PM   #39
Tech Lord

Amen.carter has some nice tools.they tipped some insert tooling for me for my CNC lathes at the shop.top notch quality.
J Concepts
Old 04-13-2005, 06:05 PM   #40
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

hey,

just wondering... as im looking at buying a new carbide bit for my lathe- trinity tru-lathe 3 pro, which carbide bits should i go for???

the trinity ones?, from a different company???hudy or someone else?

im located in australia btw, so im well aware i'll have to order overseas... but im curious to know whether ALL carbide bits will work in my lathe? ive seen some that are cut at different angles to mine

your help will be appreciated, thank you

robbie

Yokomo * HobbyWing * Sanwa
xray racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 08:01 PM   #41
Tech Lord

i personally like the integy bits.i would get a bit that is designed for the comm lathes.when you buy the ones from industrial suppliers,you are buying a tool that is for a different application.they usually come with a standard 1/32 radius tool nose because that is ideal for a finish cut on an industrial size lathe.you want a bit with a very small tool nose radius.the radius controls the finish and to get a proper finish you normally want to take a cut 2x the tool nose radius.therefore you will need a tool that has just a very small radius that is hard to even see due to the size cut your taking.you will also want a bit that has a tight chipbreaker ground into it so when you are cutting it will lift the chips away from the cutting surface and avoid having chips getting mushed back into the comm surface.i always used to grind my bits from bits i bought from my tool suppliers to the way i wanted them until i found the integy ones.they really do cut well.
J Concepts
Old 04-13-2005, 08:13 PM   #42
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rayhuang

Jason,

How goes it buddy? My lathe feathers on the back cut and leaves a slight rainbow coloring on the forward cut. But otherwise is pretty good. Is it time for a new bit? I am sold on the INtegy bits when its time from your description btw. IT might be time though as I heard someone using mine and heard it hit the tabs both time he used it. OUCH!! YOu should sell cars!! Youd sell hundreds!!

Ray
rayhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 08:24 PM   #43
Tech Lord

thanks ray.is the finish kinda grainy feeling when you scratch it with your fingernail?if so it probably has a small chip.that would mean it is cutting with the two edges on each side of the chipped area.
J Concepts
Old 04-13-2005, 08:26 PM   #44
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rayhuang

Quote:
Originally posted by protc3
thanks ray.is the finish kinda grainy feeling when you scratch it with your fingernail?if so it probably has a small chip.that would mean it is cutting with the two edges on each side of the chipped area.
Yeah-its a lttle grainy. Not horrible-but not mirror finish at all.
rayhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 10:04 PM   #45
Tech Regular

Arrow

i have a eagle mod fashion lathe and its got a carbide bit(i think) but i have cut over 30 motors now and still going strong but some one before typed that carbite bits are round mine is very pointy how do you tell if its a diamond or carbite ?????

and when i got the lathe i hooked the slave motor all right everything correct and it was cutting bad after more reseach i switched the wires over on the slave motor and its great cut it beautiful beats me is it a diamond or carbite
StasI is offline   Reply With Quote