R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   motor runs faster backwards (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/690238-motor-runs-faster-backwards.html)

rody63 12-29-2012 03:33 PM

motor runs faster backwards

Hi all,

I just bought an old HPI RS4 mini (not micro). It included a Nosram Tomahawk esc,and a Nosram brushed Super Stock motor. I know the electronics are old, but they still work. The question I had is why would the motor run faster backwards then frontwards. It's kind of frustrating, because I know the motor goes faster than it's running right now, because it's better backwards. I've run across this with another car I have, but never knew why. I guess I could switch motor leads, but I was wondering why this would happen. Anyone know? Thanks for your help.

KC10Chief 12-29-2012 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by rody63 (Post 11608419)
Hi all,

I just bought an old HPI RS4 mini (not micro). It included a Nosram Tomahawk esc,and a Nosram brushed Super Stock motor. I know the electronics are old, but they still work. The question I had is why would the motor run faster backwards then frontwards. It's kind of frustrating, because I know the motor goes faster than it's running right now, because it's better backwards. I've run across this with another car I have, but never knew why. I guess I could switch motor leads, but I was wondering why this would happen. Anyone know? Thanks for your help.

Try swapping the two outside motor leads. Leave the middle one where it is. Then, recalibrate your ESC and radio. Might need to reverse your throttle channel. No guarantees, but this worked on my touring car.

Test Driver 12-29-2012 04:15 PM

Brushed motors only have 2 leads. Swapping them over will reverse the motor which wont work in the car. I know when i use to race 540 silver can, the motors were actually retarded from factory which meant they run faster in reverse. Without twisting the com, i don't think there is anything you can do about it ( unless the motor has adjustable timing that is )

Geezatec 12-29-2012 04:25 PM

Switching polarity, car may run backwards. remove the top of diffs and diff gears turn them 180degrees. This will turn correct the direction.

Carpet Racer69 12-29-2012 04:27 PM

info

Ucan turn endbell 180 degrees.. and swap motor leads that should fix ur issue..dont u love when people answer with Wrong info cause they dont read the post..

Geezatec 12-29-2012 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by Geezatec (Post 11608551)
Switching polarity, car may run backwards. remove the top of diffs and diff gears turn them 180degrees. This will turn correct the direction.

disregard my post cuz it has ball diffs

zimmie 12-30-2012 09:51 AM

Hi all,

Sounds like your throttle is reversed. Pulling the trigger is actually reverse (motor doesn't turn as fast typically in reverse) and applying brakes/reverse is "forward" on the motor.

I think this will help...Start by changing your throttle servo direction on the controller. You will most likely have to swap the motor leads around too.

Cheers

terry.sc 12-30-2012 10:17 AM

I would say the ESC has been calibrated backwards, and then the motor leads have been swapped over to get it to run the right way, so when you pull the throttle the ESC is going backwards.

Swap the motor leads round and then switch the servo reverse on the transmitter and it should run faster in forwards. You might need to recalibrate it to reset the end points.

rody63 01-01-2013 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by terry.sc (Post 11611031)
I would say the ESC has been calibrated backwards, and then the motor leads have been swapped over to get it to run the right way, so when you pull the throttle the ESC is going backwards.

Swap the motor leads round and then switch the servo reverse on the transmitter and it should run faster in forwards. You might need to recalibrate it to reset the end points.

Well, I ended up doing this, and it actually was faster, the only problem was that for some reason the car would stop responding, and stall. I could get it to go again by hitting reverse momentarily, and then going forward, but it kept cutting out. When I put things back the way the were before, it worked perfect, although slower.

Geezatec 01-01-2013 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by rody63 (Post 11620947)
Well, I ended up doing this, and it actually was faster, the only problem was that for some reason the car would stop responding, and stall. I could get it to go again by hitting reverse momentarily, and then going forward, but it kept cutting out. When I put things back the way the were before, it worked perfect, although slower.

Many ESC has a delay when useing reverse, so it doesnt go into into reverse or forward immediately. That why reverse is illegal in ROAR events. Cause havick. Usually have to brake twice before it goes into reverse, or visa-versa.

Juan Aveytia 01-01-2013 08:35 PM

Hi all,

Start fresh with everything. Reset the remote setting to proper setting. Check over all wires and reset your speedo. I'm sure you will find your problem

Radio Active 01-01-2013 10:20 PM

If all else fails you could buy a Mardave. The motor in them runs backwards to everything else.

terry.sc 01-02-2013 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by rody63 (Post 11620947)

If this happens it means the motor and ESC were wired correctly the first time, and you have now put it back to what it should be. When everything was swapped round it stopped because the ESC has a built in timer that limits how long reverse can be used before it cuts off, to prevent people being able to run the ESC the wrong way round. Assuming you are getting full forwards throttle, which you should have if you have reset it, then if the motor ran faster forwards with everything swapped over then the problem is the ESC is damaged. It will be because some of the FETs are damaged and it would need repairing, but it's usually cheaper to buy a new basic ESC.