Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Turnigy batteries are Not ROAR Approved! >

Turnigy batteries are Not ROAR Approved!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Turnigy batteries are Not ROAR Approved!

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 02:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Exclamation Turnigy batteries are Not ROAR Approved!

Hi All

I'm not sure if this has been discussed about earlier or not. I done a topic search of the forums and could not find any threads in regards to this matter.

Anyway after being notified that some models of Turnigy hardcase 2s Lipo batteries had been ROAR approved I wanted some official clarification of this as they were not listed on the ROAR approved batteries list. http://www.roarracing.com/approvals/...y.php?ordby=ad

I sent a email to Fred Hohwart the ROAR administrator asking if the Turnigy batteries that claimed to be ROAR approved had been approved or not.
Along with the Turnigy batteries there are a number of the Zippy Flightmax hardcase 2s Lipo batteries that also claim to be approved.

I informed Fred Hohwart that the batteries were being sold on the Hobbyking.com website stating that they had been ROAR approved and are still continuing to do so.

This was the reply I received from Fred Hohwart on the 11th August 2011.
I understand these batteries were submitted but not yet approved because no part numbers were on the packs for positive identification.

All ROAR approved batteries are listed on our website www.roarracing.com, click on Approvals, then on approved lithium technology batteries.

Fred Hohwart
ROAR Administrator
[email protected]

I would suggest that everyone pass the word around the rc clubs and communities that the Turnigy & Zippy hardcase 2s Lipos are NOT ROAR approved and will not be allowed to be used at events requiring ROAR approval on batteries.

Personally I have a couple of the Turnigy hardcase lipo's myself and I have been satisfied with the performance that they give me. They may not be any good for use in high current applications but seeing how I only compete at my club in brushed 540-J motors they do fine.
However I would not like to see anyone buying the batteries with their hard earned $ believing that they are ROAR approved and only to be told that they cant use them at events requiring ROAR approved lipo's.

Cheers.

Last edited by ta04evah; 08-13-2011 at 04:36 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-13-2011, 04:02 AM
Tech Regular

To me ROAR-approved only means that they fit on my SC10 4x4 battery tray, and like so, they make some great practicing batteries.

As I do not race in the USA, nor IFMAR has them approved (we race under IFMAR ruleset), I still have a good IFMAR-approved pack to race.

But I understand it is a bummer for those buying them to race.

If they would become ROAR approved it's likely they'd get IFMAR approved aswell, which would be great (I wouldn't need to bring the charger and the whole power plant to the track).
Old 08-13-2011, 04:32 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

If you need to have Roar approved LiPo's ALWAYS look at the Roar list. Don't go by some sticker the company puts on their packs.

Same can be said about C Ratings because they are all lies too
Old 08-13-2011, 04:38 AM
Tech Addict

What does it mean "no part numbers were on the packs for positive identification."?
Old 08-13-2011, 04:45 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by Born2Run
What does it mean "no part numbers were on the packs for positive identification."?
Part of the Roar rules state the the part number of the pack HAS to be on the pack for identification.
Old 08-13-2011, 04:46 AM
Tech Adept

I got sucked in by this....

Its hard when you are just starting out again and now I have 3 packs coming that are really no good for me.
Old 08-13-2011, 04:53 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by abailey21
Part of the Roar rules state the the part number of the pack HAS to be on the pack for identification.
Thanks.It's clear now.
Old 08-13-2011, 04:57 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by J SiN
I got sucked in by this....

Its hard when you are just starting out again and now I have 3 packs coming that are really no good for me.
its only bad if your track requires roar approved packs. Or if your going to a big race that requires it. More than likely if your going to big races your running hobby king stuff though
Old 08-13-2011, 05:11 AM
Tech Adept

Track rules state roar batterys only
Old 08-13-2011, 08:00 AM
Tech Elite

It's this scenario that hopefully can be avoided by others in the near future by alerting as many in the rc clubs & communities before they get stung like J SiN has.

Cheers.
Old 08-13-2011, 09:06 AM
Tech Master

I wouldn't worry to much. Most club races really never check, unless you are just way faster
Old 08-16-2011, 04:57 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by abailey21
Same can be said about C Ratings because they are all lies too
All the HK batteries I have are up to their C ratings.

It's one of the most honest company out there when it comes down to C ratings.

Hey Maxamps, I'm looking at YOU and your """""""""""130C continuous"""""""""""" batteries.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:33 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Artikbot
All the HK batteries I have are up to their C ratings.

It's one of the most honest company out there when it comes down to C ratings.

Hey Maxamps, I'm looking at YOU and your """""""""""130C continuous"""""""""""" batteries.
Got some data to back that claim up? If a company is fraudulently advertising that their batteries are ROAR approved I would question their honesty on the battery C ratings.
Anyway, this thread is not about the C ratings it's to alert others that may be sucked in by their dodgy and false advertising in regards to ROAR approvals.

Cheers.
Old 08-16-2011, 06:23 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

This same info goes for the Gens Ace ROAR approved batteries, I too emailed roar about them after I got a couple of packs and one didnt have a roar approved sticker on it and the other one did. Also both packs were the same MAH and C rating yet 2 different labels and neither had a serial or part number.So none of the Gens Ace are legal for a ROAR race due to no serial numbers or serial number is not the same as what they submitted.. etc.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:37 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by rustyw
This same info goes for the Gens Ace ROAR approved batteries, I too emailed roar about them after I got a couple of packs and one didnt have a roar approved sticker on it and the other one did. Also both packs were the same MAH and C rating yet 2 different labels and neither had a serial or part number.So none of the Gens Ace are legal for a ROAR race due to no serial numbers or serial number is not the same as what they submitted.. etc.
There's a number of Gens Ace batteries listed on the ROAR approval batteries list http://www.roarracing.org/approvals/...y.php?ordby=ad
If the ones that you got are on this list going by the C rating then technically they are ROAR approved otherwise the battery would have been taken off the listing and you could argue that they are approved.

Cheers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.