R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-28-2006, 11:36 AM   #706
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to 5thscaleracer

Some Answers:
1. TF-5 comes with enough parts to build 1 Rear Diff, 1 Front spool Or 1 front one way. It comes with all the parts to convert from a one way to a spool but not enough to have 2 independent units.

2. It comes with the Clamp Type Hex Adapters just like the HPI and the Yokomo ones

3. Alloy gear adapters are almost done. I am getting the first proto this friday (my current work forbids me from getting it early) to confirm fitment. when that is a go then a small production run will start.
5thscaleracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 02:28 PM   #707
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Don't forget you can always put the oneway in the shaft with a spool up front. Bet you haven't tried that one yet.

Also, another set-up that some of the fast guys have done is to have both a oneway in the shaft and the oneway in the diff. (center oneway plus oneway diff.) I've been criticized about this set-up being nonsensical but the fast guys at my track have done the same with belt cars to get more steering response when running mod so why wouldn't it work the same on a shaft car?

Lastly, how about running the oneway diff on the rear with a diff or spool in the front? That way you would have braking in the front rather than from the rear.

Hmmm. Sounds like I'm gonna have a lot fun trying different drive set-ups on this car. I got the extra oneway also. It was only $10.
YR4Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 06:37 PM   #708
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by YR4Dude
Don't forget you can always put the oneway in the shaft with a spool up front. Bet you haven't tried that one yet.

Also, another set-up that some of the fast guys have done is to have both a oneway in the shaft and the oneway in the diff. (center oneway plus oneway diff.) I've been criticized about this set-up being nonsensical but the fast guys at my track have done the same with belt cars to get more steering response when running mod so why wouldn't it work the same on a shaft car?

Lastly, how about running the oneway diff on the rear with a diff or spool in the front? That way you would have braking in the front rather than from the rear.

Hmmm. Sounds like I'm gonna have a lot fun trying different drive set-ups on this car. I got the extra oneway also. It was only $10.
how do you make it a center oneway?
bosfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 07:54 PM   #709
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosfan
how do you make it a center oneway?
Yes do explain YR4DOOOOOD!!!!

i don't see or understand how you can put a oneway bearing on the shaft? not unless your talking about the main shaft which the gear adapter is held on by a set screw. but even with a one way on that shaft it's tied directly to the rear pinion diff gear and on the other end the drive shaft cup joint.

I don't see the light???
Old 06-28-2006, 10:10 PM   #710
Tech Champion

Guys unless things in the drivetrain have drastically changed from the ZX-5, the center oneway can be done as shown by the following page from the ZX-5 manual.

Now I am not saying this can be done with the parts from your TF-5 kits, but if the parts are not packaged there, then try getting ZX-5 parts to do it.
Attached Thumbnails
Kyosho Touring Car-center-oneway.jpg  
Old 06-28-2006, 10:15 PM   #711
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by YR4Dude
Guys unless things in the drivetrain have drastically changed from the ZX-5, the center oneway can be done as shown by the following page from the ZX-5 manual.

Now I am not saying this can be done with the parts from your TF-5 kits, but if the parts are not packaged there, then try getting ZX-5 parts to do it.

actually it can be done all you need is an extra one way all the plastic parts are included....

i might just try this setup.

Thanks
DOOD!!!
Old 06-28-2006, 10:17 PM   #712
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Hi Guys,

Just want to say that I just finished building the TF-5 kit, and I am very impressed with the car, especially with the composition of the nylon parts and the shocks (these shocks are smoooooth!) Everything went together very well and easily. I hope to get this car running at SoCal soon to test it out

We also just received majority of the spare parts for the TF-5 and we are in the process of uploading them on our website. Should be available on our site by this weekend

Steve Wang
Old 06-29-2006, 02:22 AM   #713
Tech Elite

Re: Centre one-way - you can't do it on the TF-5. The ZX-5 has a different design front input cup that allows you to fit a one-way, the TF-5 is solid only.

It would be theoretically possible to make up a shorter centre shaft and fit the ZX-5 front input assembly, but the parts aren't available off the shelf.

You need several different spare parts to build up a diff for the front. They are...

1x BRG100 Thrust bearing
1x LA200 Diff Bevel Set (you actually have one spare diff gear and nut holder in the TF-5 kit so you don't need this)
1x LA208 Ball Diff Screw
1x LA211 Drive Joint Set (could replace with the LA201 Steel Diff as fitted to the Lazer)
1x UM120 3/32" Balls (any brand will do though)
1x UM124 Tensioner Spring
1x TF013 Diff Ring (could also use WBD4 as fitted to the Lazer)
2x 5x8 ball bearings

All parts available from ourselves in the UK (click the sig).
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 04:03 AM   #714
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I m halfway in building mine so here are some of my impressions:

- once the transmission is built correctly (waves to sosidge), it s silky smooth. I shimmed it a bit differently than per instructions (all shims on the same side, "opening up" the mesh a bit for the diffs and front oneway.
I did not do a full bearing degrease (partial) but once it frees up, it will definitely be excellent !
- Excellent stock differential.. did not use carbide balls, no sanding of diff rings (i was lazy ok ?? ) and yet its really smooth.
- Shocks are *very nice*, very similar to tamiyas but probably a bit lighter.
The tamiya springs do NOT fit (might with some mods) but the HPI fit just fine.
- Overall stiffness is really good, some flex built in but no too much.
- no play or slop in the arms and no filing required.. definitely awesome quality. The nylons inserts for toe in are very cool and definitely a nice cost saving feature.
- red looks killer on the chassis.. Kyosho is quite generous on the alum parts.
- Excellent battery slot..no more filing necessary.

Misses

- Why couldnt we have some blades built in ?
I ve grown wary of the metal/plastic or metal/metal contact when blades or SO much nicer and easier on the parts.
- Instructions call for greasing the universals where they meet the diffs, and not for greasing the Ujoint...Strange.
I would have added some anti wear grease "a la" tamiya.. would have been better for wear.

My general impression is that Kyosho really came out with a car with excellent value for money : lots of features, all swaybars, alum stuff galore, premium shocks, choice of spool or oneway.
It s definitely a car you can race out of the box.

Can t wait for the belt version
Patriiick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 09:36 AM   #715
Tech Champion

Sosidge, is the shaft on the TF-5 different from the shaft on the ZX-5? If so then that would make it physically not possible for the center oneway due to size limitations. However it is mechanically possible with the right parts.

Again, if the shafts are both the same length, then all you need is to source from the ZX-5 parts bin which would be the oneway bearing holder, oneway and oneway outdrive. (See above instructions, left panel)

If the shafts are of different lengths, I know 5thscale will find a way to get a shaft that will fit to make the center oneway happen.

Anyways, I will be getting mine soon. I would have gotten mine today if weren't for a Paypal malfunction.
Old 06-29-2006, 10:07 AM   #716
Tech Elite

The Lazer shaft is a little shorter than the TF-5 shaft, but bear in mind that the Lazer sits on a longer wheelbase and has a slipper assembly too so you can't assume that it will work out with just a shaft and input cup swap.
Old 06-29-2006, 12:29 PM   #717
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Hi Guys,

Just want to post a quick note that all the Kyosho TF-5 parts are available online now:

Kyosho spare and hop-up parts

sorry it took a bit longer than expected, but we wanted to have individual pictures taken of the parts before putting them online

Steve Wang
Old 06-29-2006, 12:37 PM   #718
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosidge
The Lazer shaft is a little shorter than the TF-5 shaft, but bear in mind that the Lazer sits on a longer wheelbase and has a slipper assembly too so you can't assume that it will work out with just a shaft and input cup swap.
Okay, like I said there may size limitations due to a difference in shaft lengths and wheelbases so that would still leave it possible if someone were to custom a shaft to fit the center oneway holder. 5thscale??
Old 07-02-2006, 11:02 AM   #719
Tech Elite

Update on progress at today's club meeting...

Switched to a diff rather than the spool. At first the car seemed a little slower than at the previous meeting, biggest difference being that the spool was better on-power through the turns (as you would expect), and also sharper into the tight sections (possible a result of the greater front braking effect). Turning up the steering rate a little seemed to compensate.

Unfortunately, the diff seemed to make that shaft-drive bugbear - torgue-steer - rear it's ugly head. No tweak in the chassis, but couldn't stop the car veering to the left off-power.

All this added up to pretty nervous car. Still a fast car though, you just needed to keep a bit more focussed on the throttle position than with the spool.

Big benefit was that there were no breakages!

My other general observation on the car is that it is very consistent throughout the meeting, with the increasing grip levels not affecting the balance. Overall corner speed is very good too.
Old 07-02-2006, 06:27 PM   #720
Tech Champion

5thscsale - where were you????? I've got mine.

Sosidge - After putting it together, I found that it is NOT all that similar to the ZX-5. I tried parting out my ZX in an effort to speed my assembly for race night and failed miserably. Nor is it all that compatilbe with previous tourers. (ie. hub carriers and suspension arms.)